Why become a member? ×

Question about action

theboakster

This might be a stupid question, but here goes! :)

I've been playing jazz double bass for a few years, but not very seriously (hard to play whilst looking after a toddler!). I have never had my bass properly setup. I don't have transport and so have recently borrowed a couple of other people's basses when needed. I've found that their strings are much higher off the fretboard (is that called high action?) and I've been finding it hard work to play them. I wondered whether it's just I need to work on my stamina, or perhaps their setup doesn't suit me or perhaps is my bass setup incorrect.....?

Any advice would be great. I have had a bass teacher and I borrowed his bass and that seemed to be ok, but I didn't play for long as we mostly talked through exercises etc.

Broadly speaking, the higher your strings are the more acoustic sound you get out of the bass, so orchestral players will generally have higher actions than those who are solely jazz players, as jazzers tend to play amplified more. If you're happy with the sound you get (and don't have too much grief playing other basses) I wouldn't worry about it.

[quote name='theboakster' post='924438' date='Aug 13 2010, 10:09 PM']Thanks velvetkevorkian. This does make sense, but I do have grief playing other people's basses... I think maybe if I raised the action on my bass a little bit it would help me build up my stamina and strength a bit more.[/quote]

I have my action real low on both my double and eub, its a doddle to play, and makes articulating so easy i can play most of the
heads on the standards.
Raise the strings and I'm f~cked.

I think its a better sound if your playing totally acoustic, but its too much like hard work!
If I survive the holocaust and there's no more electric, I might raise the action....who knows...who will care??

Edited by Shonks