Why become a member? ×

Where's a good place to buy a Black P bass body?

dave_bass5

After having my new MIA jazz for less than 24 hours im now thinking of a P bass.

Nothing wrong with what i have, im liking the Jazz tone but im also listening to a lot of P bass songs.

Im not going to go down the PJ route again, as i do want a Jazz bass (not including my CVJ in this as thats going to be de fretted).

I really like the neck on this Jazz and was thinking if i could get a decent P body i could swap the necks whenever i feel GAS approaching. The idea would be just to swap them over ever month or so, when ever the mood takes me really.

Im happy to buy the pup and electrics, but it would have to be already finished paint wise. I'm really in no rush to do this but does anyone think its a silly idea?

Money is too tight for me to buy a P bass, and i would have to have a Jazz neck on it.

Any comments?

Edited by dave_bass5

save up and buy a p bass? IMO it is a wee bit daft to keep unscrewing and rescrewing necks if you can avoid it.

a body you are looking at what £50 min i would have thought, then a pup? £20 for a cheapy, bridge, another tenner, scratchplate.... at this point you are not far off the second hand price of a cheap P bass of some kind.

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='923720' date='Aug 13 2010, 12:26 PM']save up and buy a p bass? IMO it is a wee bit daft to keep unscrewing and rescrewing necks if you can avoid it.

a body you are looking at what £50 min i would have thought, then a pup? £20 for a cheapy, bridge, another tenner, scratchplate.... at this point you are not far off the second hand price of a cheap P bass of some kind.[/quote]

Im happy to spend, say, £200+ on the body with pup, bridge etc. I want a decent P bass, not a cheap one. I'll get a Fender pup (or maybe a Fralin) and a BAII or Gotoh.

I want something that will be at the same standard as my Jazz (although its debatable if that is really worth so much considering the faults). I cant afford or am willing to pay for a MIA P though.
The neck on my MIA is great and i would want the same quality neck on the P and as i said, i want a Jazz neck.

I know 100% i would not get on with a 41mm nut width. So i dont see the point of buying a complete bass only to discard half of it.

Like i say, its just an idea at the moment but considering i may keep the neck on the P for months on end its not like ill be changing it every week.

Edited by dave_bass5

Yeah, im going to look on ebay at some point. Im not after any particular vintage, quite happy with something like a MIM standard to be honest.
Im absolutely no good with any type of paintwork so it will need ot have a complete finish already but im happy to put the other bits together.

Its more about keeping this neck and using it on a P rather than me getting P GAS at some point. I did the same thing with my HW1 jazz neck. That went on two other basses (both P's) before i sold the Jazz.

Cheers.

[quote name='yorick' post='923820' date='Aug 13 2010, 01:22 PM']The only problem i can see on this, is if you keep changing bodies, eventually you'll knacker the screw holes in the back of the heel. Mind, you could fit threaded inserts into the neck, and ferrules in the bodies.....[/quote]

Yeah, that is something i had thought about. Its not like it will be on and off every other week though, and quite possibly never come off the P, that's why i want a decent one.

If you search eBay for bass bodies there is a shop that sells US made P and J bodies, finished. They are very nice usually 2 or 3 piece alder, I've had one for a project and it was nice and resonant, slightly heavy though, but had a great finish and as it was a Jazz it ha the important clean Neck pickup route to play with out a pickguard.

But yes it seems a silly idea to have 2 necks for one bass, I'm postive that eventually the screw holes on the necks would wear away and the screws would stop screwing.

IMO you might aswell save for a Japanese fender, quality has always been amazing, and a better pickup and a electronic upgrade brings it to the point of being a lot better than a MIA.
If you really wanted a J neck you could buy one and then sell on the P neck.