Why become a member? ×

Peavey bass rig - how much is this worth

krazyk

i'm not sure about a price as i'm not that experienced with peavey stuff... but i can guarantee that sound to price ration on that thing is sky high. At the moment big stuff just isnt selling. everyone is after lightewight gear. I just had to let one of the best sounding cabs ive ever played through go for very little for that reason. its a shame... but as good as those black widow loaded 2x15's are, they just won't fetch much because we're a nation of weaklings.

[quote name='Colledge' post='917621' date='Aug 7 2010, 01:32 AM']i'm not sure about a price as i'm not that experienced with peavey stuff... but i can guarantee that sound to price ration on that thing is sky high. At the moment big stuff just isnt selling. everyone is after lightewight gear. I just had to let one of the best sounding cabs ive ever played through go for very little for that reason. its a shame... but as good as those black widow loaded 2x15's are, they just won't fetch much because we're a nation of weaklings.[/quote]
+1

I seem to remember that someone on here bought a Mk IV and a 2x15 for £60 last year. I don't think that the price was in any way representative of what they'd usually go for, but these rigs are seriously undervalued. A search of the Amps For Sale forum might give you a better idea, but personally I'd cherish it while your back still holds up. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I borrowed one of these from a friend a couple of years ago and they do sound good. The Black Widow speakers sound really fast for 15's and you can still buy the replacement cones if they burn out. The only problem is that the cabs aren't tuned properly. I built my own case for a Black widow and it tightened up the bass dramatically. I also used to put the kick drum throug the spare channel on the amp from time to time.

[quote name='Musky' post='917628' date='Aug 7 2010, 01:52 AM']+1

I seem to remember that someone on here bought a Mk IV and a 2x15 for £60 last year. I don't think that the price was in any way representative of what they'd usually go for, but these rigs are seriously undervalued. A search of the Amps For Sale forum might give you a better idea, but personally I'd cherish it while your back still holds up. :)[/quote]

That might have been me, I got a mark III in full working order and a blown/butchered 2x15 for £60, but that was like three years ago.

Keep it if you can, i still use mine regularly, proper good amp.

The sound you get from Peavey is pretty basic and a one trick pony...but... bang for buck, I think it is bombproof and easy to work on.
If you can get on with the EQ side of things, it will do a decent job but resemble that brick outhouse, logistically.

Far far better options around sound-wise and from a carry POV and it is woefully outclassed these days, IMO, but it can be a cheap as chips rig if it works for you.

[quote name='razze06' post='949258' date='Sep 8 2010, 11:14 AM']That might have been me, I got a mark III in full working order and a blown/butchered 2x15 for £60, but that was like three years ago.

Keep it if you can, i still use mine regularly, proper good amp.[/quote]

It might well have been you, as I seem to remember that the ad was on Gumtree in Scotland. 3 years ago? Time flies when you're having fun. :)