Why become a member? ×

Stripped Blonde pics

steviedee

A while back I picked up a Michael Poller bass really cheap and stripped the lacquer as it looked a bit orange and I thought as it was a bargain basement bass, I just had it restringed and had an adjustable bridge fitted. The luthier actually said it was a good instrument worth in the region of £1500 I kinda regretted stripping it but its done now and I like it!

Some lacquer was ingrained in the grain so it has a kinda mottled look which looks cool imho, but I can always darken the stain to even it out at some point.

Anyway here are some pics, what do you reckon?

Edited by steviedee

[quote name='geoffbassist' post='913342' date='Aug 2 2010, 11:10 PM']Looks great! I'm jelous of the 'doubler'.
Are they velvet strings? How do you find them?

Cheers Geoff[/quote]

Hi Geoff

cheers for the reply the strings are Innovation Rockabillys, I almost bought some Velvet Animas a while back heard great things about them.

I love the doubler though.

cheers
Stevie

[quote name='BassBod' post='913196' date='Aug 2 2010, 09:16 PM']I much prefer that to anything orange...good job.[/quote]

I agree... my own Michael Poller is too orangey for my liking but what can you do? Oh, you can sand it down and make it look lovely! Nice work!

[quote name='Steve Amadeo' post='914252' date='Aug 3 2010, 08:36 PM']I agree... my own Michael Poller is too orangey for my liking but what can you do? Oh, you can sand it down and make it look lovely! Nice work![/quote]

Cheers Steve I had a couple of wtf am I doing this for moments I can tell you!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Dara

It's the doubler and a CX112L so quite a bit heavier than the wizzy I reckon, I think it sounds great with the upright and a electric bass I love it I think oyu really get the sound of the bass, I suppose it might be a bit clean sounding for some folks but I'm digging it.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='929232' date='Aug 18 2010, 11:33 PM']Do you fancy writing up a quick how-to? It looks excellent from here, I've got a fairly orange and very cheap bass I would like to have at.[/quote]

I'll give it a wee go you can take heart from the fact that I'm the most DIY averse person I know!

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='930214' date='Aug 19 2010, 07:46 PM']Even better, I never know which end of a drill to saw stuff with.[/quote]

It's those crinkle-cut nails I can't get the hang of. Why do they have that cross thing on the head anyway? Is it a religious thing to remind you not to swear when you miss with the hammer??