Why become a member? ×

Drummers

flyfisher

[quote name='flyfisher' post='915962' date='Aug 5 2010, 01:50 PM']Yep, you've got it - we're a band of mates playing for fun and managing about one gig per month, mainly at private parties and other events rather than the regular 'pub circuit' (although we have played pubs). Plus, I'm the 'outsider' really in terms of how long we've all known each other, so it's not really my place to sack anyone.

I know of farmfactory but we usually use rehearsal facilities in Hertford.[/quote]

Is that Chris Foster's place Graphic Nature? He's usually pretty open and relaxed have a word with him.

[quote name='TimR' post='915757' date='Aug 5 2010, 11:32 AM']That depends on if you are in a pro-band or a band of mates doing it for fun. Sacking a mate is a difficult thing to do. There have been several threads here asking how to do it. Do we - Disband and form again - sent a text - etc...

This sort of thead doesn't seem to come up in the more 'american' Bassplayer forum. It's definitely an English thing. In general we're more reserved and afraid of upsetting people's feelings. (Unless you're from Yorkshire that is :rolleyes: )[/quote]
That must be it. Whilst reading your post i thought 'bollocks, it makes no odds if someone is a friend or not. If they don't cut it then get someone who will'. I've sacked friends from bands and in the past i used to run pubs for a couple of years and and sacked friends from that to. Then i read the unless your from Yorkshire bit....which i am! :)

[quote name='cytania' post='912748' date='Aug 2 2010, 01:16 PM']Also check you are actually paying the drummer enough attention. It's all too easy to get drawn up front talking keys etc. Are you one of those bassists that stands stock still? Sometimes rocking back and forth, using the bass neck to indicate the beat gets the point across. If they can see your beat and see the energy you are putting across a good drummer will respond.[/quote]

+1 to this, communication between drummer and bassists, however subtle, is the key (imho) to a nice tight sound.

[quote name='PURPOLARIS' post='916446' date='Aug 5 2010, 09:56 PM']+1 to this, communication between drummer and bassists, however subtle, is the key (imho) to a nice tight sound.[/quote]

indeed, but the other guy has to get it...
if it is all one-way traffic, then that would be a hopeless task.
It sounds to me like the guy can't play, ( wishy-washy or non-existant kick ) so you aren't going to be able to get around that.

As for the mates angle... well, that mistake has been made.
Either put up or leave, depending on what standard you can live with.

Fast forward 6 months..