Why become a member? ×

Another fretless thread.

dave_bass5

After getting my MIA i don't think ill need my CVJ any more.
I was planning on either selling it or keeping it as a back up (probably the latter) but after just replying in another thread i had the idea that now is a good time to try fretless.

Ive always wanted to try it but could never justify buying a fretless as my main bass, and as i only use one bass it didnt seem worth buying a bass i wouldn't use for gigs.
now i have a cheap spare i think ill give it a go.

what i cant decide is should i go ahead and get it de fretted (probably looking at around £100) or try and swap it for a VM fretless on here?

I like the feel of the neck and the way the CVJ looks so im tempted to get it de fretted but im wondering if the VM jazz offers anything that makes it a better fretless (other than it not having frets ;-)

comments and suggestions welcome.

Hey Dave... yes, the CV Jazz is ideal for conversion IMO. I play a 62 and the neck on the CV plays very damn near it, cept for the glossy finish of course, which i like.

I had the frets stoned down to the tangs, so now it just has metal strips like a lined fretless. I've also dropped in a J-Retro and it's an absolute dream to play and sounds like a monster. I mainly use it for Drum&Bass type stuff.

I'd go for it. Then you get to keep your CV Jazz as well as putting your own personal stamp on it. They are nice basses.

Bob.

Hi Dave,

Played a few Classic Vibes and Vintage Modifieds when I was looking for a VMJ Fretless. Got to say, despite buying and really liking the VMJ the CV's seem to have that certain something that lifted them IMO above the VM's. I'd stick my neck out and say go for the de-fret.

Mike

Noticed in the shop today, the Classic Vibes have a full depth body, whereas the VMJ's seem to have a shallower body.

Will measure when i return to work, unless someone has both and does it for me.

I was debating sticking a Status fretless neck on a CV James Johnston.

No need at the moment though...

[quote name='Linus27' post='910579' date='Jul 30 2010, 07:42 PM']Hey Dave,

If you can wait anything from 3 to 5 weeks until I get my fretless neck for my ESP, you can borrow my VMJ Fretless and compare. That way you can see if you like the VMJ and how you feel about fretless.[/quote]

Can I ask where you are getting your neck - is it a custom build? I'm thinking of getting one for my Cort GB75 - I love my VMJ fretless but I need 5 strings otherwise I can't play in D or E!

Cheers guys.
Sounds like i should keep the CVJ.

Michael, Thanks for the offer but my mind is made up to go fretless and I'm not too good at waiting.

I might see if there are any necks for sale on here over the coming week, for less than what its going to cost for a re fret but if nothing turns up by Friday I might pop over to the gallery with the CVJ.

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='910583' date='Jul 30 2010, 07:46 PM']Can I ask where you are getting your neck - is it a custom build? I'm thinking of getting one for my Cort GB75 - I love my VMJ fretless but I need 5 strings otherwise I can't play in D or E![/quote]

Sure. Shuker is making me a custom neck for my ESP based on the existing ESP fretted neck. I did not want to get the ESP neck de-fretted as the bass is super rare and has sentimental value so if something goes wrong I am buggered. So the fretless neck will be pretty much the same as the existing fretted neck but fretless.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='910613' date='Jul 30 2010, 08:07 PM']Cheers guys.
Sounds like i should keep the CVJ.

Michael, Thanks for the offer but my mind is made up to go fretless and I'm not too good at waiting.

I might see if there are any necks for sale on here over the coming week, for less than what its going to cost for a re fret but if nothing turns up by Friday I might pop over to the gallery with the CVJ.[/quote]

No worries Dave,the offers there. Either way, you will love fretless.

[quote name='Linus27' post='910625' date='Jul 30 2010, 08:18 PM']No worries Dave,the offers there. Either way, you will love fretless.[/quote]

I too am looking at going fretless. I want to get a decent one for £350 or less. 1st hand or 2nd Hand. I dont mind, but it needs to be good for the money. Any suggestions? I've heard great things about the VMJ's, but im not too sure about the plastic neck, and when i phoned up a bass centre to find out more about it, the guy on the other end tried to steer me away from it.

But i've read alot of good reports. I've got an Aerodyne that im supposed to be selling tomorrow. What would that be like defretted? Is a purpose built fretless, like the VMJ, always going to sound better, because it's built for the job?

I need whatever i end up with to offer me a different tonal palette to what my G & L L2000 can offer, which is in itself vast!

Edited by mashup

[quote name='mashup' post='910670' date='Jul 30 2010, 08:48 PM']Is a purpose built fretless, like the VMJ, always going to sound better, because it's built for the job?[/quote]

This is the reason i started this thread as i also wasnt sure but it seems that this price point there is no advantage other than i guess its cheaper to buy the bass already de fretted.

[quote name='Linus27' post='910623' date='Jul 30 2010, 08:18 PM']Sure. Shuker is making me a custom neck for my ESP based on the existing ESP fretted neck. I did not want to get the ESP neck de-fretted as the bass is super rare and has sentimental value so if something goes wrong I am buggered. So the fretless neck will be pretty much the same as the existing fretted neck but fretless.[/quote]

Thanks, I'll investigate his pricing. With the Cort it has a bound neck which I know most luthiers don't like de-fretting. Also I like the idea of keeping the original.

The VMJ usually gets a lot of love so I was surprised everyone's saying go for the defret, but I have to agree. The VMJ has a marmite fingerboard, I personaly hated the sound and feel of the ebonol board.

2 more options:

- Put that £100 towards a fretless neck, then you can return the bass to stock and not lose as much if you ever come to sell

- Rockbottom in Croydon had a mint MIJ fretless Jazz in sunburst/tort for sale for £350, if they still have it you could sell the CVJ and trade up. If it is still there I bet they'd take £325 too.

Cheers guys.

First off, this has more to do with me having a cheap spare bass. Its not something i want to spend any money on but realise i would have to if i get it de fretted. Thats why the VMJ trade option was mentioned.

I do think im better off keeping this as i like the colour etc, and i really do love the neck so while buying another neck is an option, it would have to be for around the cost of a de fret. Its a good option though.
Im not thinking about gigging it but who knows, maybe one day.