Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz bass neck plate design

supabock

[quote name='supabock' post='904310' date='Jul 24 2010, 08:52 PM']Can anyone tell me the advantages/ disadvantages when comparing Fender Jazz basses that have 3 bolt neck plates with adjusters, with those that have the 4 bolt neck plates? Are there any playability/ setup issues with the 3 bolt system?

Steve[/quote]

I have the 3 bolt on a Jap 75RI. I haven't found any problems and can't see why there would be, can't see any particular advantages either. Except, it does make swapping necks between different Fenders a bit of a pain as none of the holes line up.
I do wonder if you used the micro-tilt system whether it affects sustain through to the body simply because the physical connection between neck and body woods is reduced, but then this would often be similar in shimmed 4-bolt necks. On mine the micro-tilt is not engaged and the neck pocket is a very snug fit.
The three-bolt plate does look just that little bit cooler though.

I too had a CIJ 75 RI & again no problems. I owned it for nearly 10yrs. It is generally acknowledged with vintage instruments that you should proceed with a bit more caution around 3 bolt. They don't need to be completely avoided but *can* be more problematic

Many years ago I borrowed a 70s Jazz with a 3 bolt neck, you could physically move the neck slightly from side to side if you used enough force. It was said that the 3 bolts weren't enough to keep the neck absolutely rock solid, so 4 bolt necks became the norm.

The reason they went to 3-bolt was to save money! Can you believe that?

I, too, used to be of the opinion that the 3-bolt was weaker than the 4, though haven't heard of any issues. Still don't like it, though.

Edited by Stacker

There's nothing wrong with three bolts as anyone with a 70's RI or early G&L can testify, the main problem with the original 70's Fenders were the neck pockets were usually routed wide enough to sail a barge through and they widended the holes that the screws went into, meaning there was lots of wiggle room. My old 77 was like that and a friend of mine has a 75 Thinline Tele where you can pull the neck so far over, the high E string leaves the neck by about fret 18.

[quote name='Stacker' post='905514' date='Jul 26 2010, 09:54 AM']....The reason they went to 3-bolt was to save money! Can you believe that?....[/quote]
Everything on a Fender was done that way in order to save money. That's what Leo dreamed of!

The only surprise is that he never invented a one bolt system!!

Edited by chris_b