Why become a member? ×

Ampeg SVT410 or Orange SP410 (Isobaric)

Shire

Afternoon all!

Well I'm after a new cab to accompany my Ashdown ABM EVO II Head and I think I've narrowed it down to these two so my question to the knowlegable people on here is which one would you go for and why?

I have also been offered a schroeder 1212L from a forum member but without trying one out, I can't be sure I'll like it after a 200 mile round trip...

At the moment I use the Ashdown Mini 48 and Mini 115 cabs but I'd like to use just one cab and still have the same (or more) volume if possible. Both cabs are rated at 8ohms and I'd like to just stick with the 1 cab rather than be disappointed and sp**k a load more cash out next month! Oh, and the smaller the better and my band play loud!

I'll be looking at getting a new head within the next couple of months too but for now, it has the be a new cab first as the mini 48 just killed another speaker :)

All help is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Matt

Do you have a budget in mind? I havent tried the Orange Iso 410 but im kind of put off by the fact it will just aim your sound at your ankles unless up on a crate or something... Anyways have you considered one of the pro Ashdown 410's, my Neo 410 is blisteringly loud and I believe the new USA 410 is their take on an Ampeg 410(but made in uk not the far east)

My budget is about £500 and I'd rather stay away from Ashdown to be honest and try something new as I've had a few of their amps/cabs now and after playing through an Ampeg at a gig I quite fancy going down that route :)

Personally if you are going for old school punch like this, id get the traditional Orange OBC410 unless you want it lightweight. Its a more traditional setup for a cabinet and its very loud.

The Ampeg 4x10 is pretty good as well, if memory serves, Im just not a massive fan of Ampeg. I must admit they are punchy buggers but they are sealed if you get the SVT410....so it sounds great to my ears but has a tad less low end than a ported (apparently). They also have the 410HLF (?!) thats 4 ohms and has MUCH more low end. You could also look at their new Neo 410.

If weight really isnt an issue and you want a monster of a 4 ohm 4x10, get an Aguilar GS410 or DB410.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Musicman20' post='901146' date='Jul 21 2010, 06:46 PM']Personally if you are going for old school punch like this, id get the traditional Orange OBC410 unless you want it lightweight. Its a more traditional setup for a cabinet and its very loud.

The Ampeg 4x10 is pretty good as well, if memory serves, Im just not a massive fan of Ampeg. I must admit they are punchy buggers but they are sealed if you get the SVT410....so it sounds great to my ears but has a tad less low end than a ported (apparently). They also have the 410HLF (?!) thats 4 ohms and has MUCH more low end. You could also look at their new Neo 410.

If weight really isnt an issue and you want a monster of a 4 ohm 4x10, get an Aguilar GS410 or DB410.[/quote]

I do like the 'propper' Orange cab and assuming it's 4ohms I reckon it'll probably be louder too? I might have to get a price for the 410HLF as I think thats the one to go for out of the 2 Ampeg. Let me just see what the size difference is between the Ampeg and the Orange. Silly Yanks like to use inches which is confusing me!

I used to own a US Ampeg SVT 410 HE.
It was killer.

IMO the ceramics in that packed a 'thump' to the lows that my Markbass cabs just dont (despite costing twice the amount)!

I sold my 410 HE about 10 months ago for £325.
So defo worth considering - a killer price if you can get a second hand one.

A word of warning however, I had to sell mine as it put me in hospital owing to a hernia operation.
-Dont be fooled, this is a HEAVY cab. If you have to lift on your own, be careful!!
-Make sure you can get it fitted with castors too!

Hope that helps,

Andy.

[quote name='Shire' post='901067' date='Jul 21 2010, 11:51 AM']the smaller the better and my band play loud![/quote]And there's the rub. Where loud bass is concerned there's no replacement for displacement, and that means big cabs, not small. The only way to get around the need for many drivers is with fewer high displacement drivers, like the Eminence 3012LF and 3015LF as used in Barefaced. What you trade off there is sensitivity, so what you achieve in going smaller is done at the expense of needing more power. Your amp should do for them, though.

I had a Schroeder 1212L and it was a great cab, and it was stonkingly loud [u]for it's size[/u]. Like Bill says, if you want loud and low, you need a bigger box. I switched to a 410L as although the 1212L was more than loud enough for my old ska band, in my current rock/punk band I wanted to fill the room a bit more. The 410L is perfect for that, and although the box is undersized for a 4x10 it's bloody loud. It probably lacks some low end extension as a result when pushed but nothing I'll miss in a rock band - it sounds beautiful in the mix and it's got loads of thump/punch. One to consider, anyway!