Why become a member? ×

Need some wiring ideas for a new build please

xilddx

I building a bass and wondering what wiring options I might have. It will be passive but I want it to be versatile and get the best from the pickups.

Meant to say it's a four string 34 scale.

1 x MEC MM style HB near the bridge.
1 x MEC J-type SC near the neck and on an angle.

Like this ..

[b]ll /[/b]

I was thinking Volume & Tone for each pickup, 3-way pickup selector and a series/parallel/Coil Tap switch for the HB.

Any better ideas? I'm clueless with electronics so any help will be really appreciated.

Cheers.

Edited by silddx

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='898849' date='Jul 19 2010, 12:50 PM']not a blend knob instead of the pickup selector.
although if you have a volume on each pup do you need a selector?

you could also have a series/parallel switch for both pups a'la danelectro[/quote]

Thanks man.

Re your first point, I like the instant change of tone with a switch and I see volumes as subtle tone controls, so I thought my idea of a three-way pup selector switch and a volume for each would be a good way to go.

Second point, good idea!

[quote name='Rich' post='898864' date='Jul 19 2010, 01:01 PM']+1 for the series/parallel switching. Also, how about a Villex passive tone thingy?[/quote]
Ahh! This is the kind of thing I need to know! Like this [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=2462"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=2462[/url]

Brilliant, thank you :)

[quote name='BigRedX' post='898988' date='Jul 19 2010, 02:32 PM']IME series/parallel switching works best with two pickups of similar impedance, so humbucker/single coil set-up isn't probably going to very good. However series/parallel when your humbucker is coil-tapped might be worth it.[/quote]
Thanks BRX, this is the sort of thing I have no idea about. I need to check impedance with a meter, but it's interesting to note (perhaps) that the Rockbass from which the pups were taken had 500k pots for both pickups (and a 250k for the pickup pan), and both pups seem to have similar output level, so I'm wondering if the SC is really hot. They seemed very well matched.

[quote name='silddx' post='898997' date='Jul 19 2010, 02:38 PM']Thanks BRX, this is the sort of thing I have no idea about. I need to check impedance with a meter, but it's interesting to note (perhaps) that the Rockbass from which the pups were taken had 500k pots for both pickups (and a 250k for the pickup pan), and both pups seem to have similar output level, so I'm wondering if the SC is really hot. They seemed very well matched.[/quote]

Or the HB is pretty weak. What was the characteristics of the SC? Treble shy/mid heavy?

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='898999' date='Jul 19 2010, 02:42 PM']Or the HB is pretty weak. What was the characteristics of the SC? Treble shy/mid heavy?[/quote]
Could of course be that too.

The SC (while on the Rockbass) was very throaty, deep and with a snarly high end, I reckon a bit of mid-scoop. Seemed powerful, even compared to my active Warwick $$. It sounds great to my ears.