Why become a member? ×

Fingerboard Paint/Stain

obbm

I've just finishing some remedial work on my CC DB - new bridge/new strings/resurface the finegerboard - and what a difference it makes.

I now need to finish the fingerboard off properly as it is rosewood that was originally pained. Any recommendations for what I should use.

another possibility might be to use a bottle of black leather dye (I bought a bottle of the Dylon brand from the nearest Timpsons for around £4) I've sucessfully used it on an electric bass fretboard without it transferring onto the strings.

Thanks for the suggestions. After much Googling I have concluded that black leather dye seems to the colourant of choice and I found a bottle of the recommended make on Ebay. Hopefully here tomorrow.

I know that you've already decided on the leather dye (I've never tried that one) but thought that you and others might be interested in a couple of other options.
Chestnut products sell an acrylic 'ebonising lacquer' in a spray can. This produces a good finish if a few layers are applied and rubbed down.
In the past I have also used a french polish with either black spirit dye or even powdered colour (iron oxide) added. This produces a slightly 'less black' colour but also has good finish.
If the fingerboard looks nice unstained I would consider just treating it with linseed and enjoy it as nature intended!
Hope that the leather dye works ok...