Why become a member? ×

For all you G&L fans...

OutToPlayJazz

I was watching the BassGuitarMag (US one) review of the L2000-
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT4AP58jC5o"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT4AP58jC5o[/url]

the tones, good though they are, all seem like a much of a muchness, despite all the options.

I wonder, has anyone modded their L2000/L2500 with single coil options, or even swapped out the front pickup for a split coil humbucker like a P pickup? (maybe Bartolini offer a drop-in replacement?)

Edited by SJA

Nice score!

Can I recommend you always string the bass with string-throughs, as there was a case a while back where stringing to the bridge on a Tribure L2500 caused the bridge to pull off. I'm sure it was an isolated incident, but you may as well be safe not sorry.

I wonder if the discontinuing is to do with the manufacture of the Tribbies moving to Indonesia?

I suspect these may be the last Korean Tributes that Aria UK had before distribution moved to FCN in the uk - i picked one up with a moulded US hardcase for silly money at the time - and at the same time distribution changed, Cort (who build them) moved production to Indonesia.
FCN have said nothing about production of Tributes ceasing, and it's probably the best-selling line - unlike the MM SUBS, the Tributes are built to a similar spec, but are all foreign parts (bar the pickups), so i cant see production ceasing because they are [i]too good[/i].

Edited by El_JimBob

[quote name='odub' post='99717' date='Dec 5 2007, 05:00 PM']I'd be interested to see how my custom shop USA ASAT stacked against a Tribby, If its the same pickups, neck and electronics then apart from the colour and matching headstock then it's probably not worth the extra grand on top.[/quote]

I brought the wrath of the G&L thread off the old Dudepit once when I said between my 2 old SB2's one a US and one a Korean, the Korean was the better bass much better built and nearly a £1000 cheaper :)

[quote name='odub' post='99717' date='Dec 5 2007, 05:00 PM']I'd be interested to see how my custom shop USA ASAT stacked against a Tribby, If its the same pickups, neck and electronics then apart from the colour and matching headstock then it's probably not worth the extra grand on top.[/quote]
If you decide the ASAT's not worth the extra grand I'd happily give you £395 for it lol

I think only the pickups (and the preamp) are EXACTLY the same, the pots, switches etc, bridge, tuners and obviously body & neck are different and made in Indonesia. The bridge is the same design as the US one, but made in the East.

The US models also offer different neck profiles as well as a wider range of finishes, and they have started PLEKing the necks now - apparently they're better than ever.

On another G&L note, George Fullerton has jumped ship and moved back to Fender!

[quote name='NickThomas' post='99810' date='Dec 5 2007, 07:48 PM']If you decide the ASAT's not worth the extra grand I'd happily give you £395 for it lol[/quote]

You can have the bass for 390 if you want, just as soon as I'm dead, you are welcome to pry it out of my hands.

Edit. Please no one kill me.

Edited by odub

[quote name='rodl2005' post='106833' date='Dec 20 2007, 05:48 AM']Neck feels SUPERB!! Feels similar to my EB stingray5 But a bit thinner of course. But feels nice & solid, smooth, fast & well just "quality". Has real EVEN vol. on all 4 strings, & the tones available are staggering. Will report after I've done a couple of gigs![/quote]

Cheers.

My post Xmas GAS has started already now and ive only had my new P for less than a month :-(

[quote name='rodl2005' post='107388' date='Dec 20 2007, 11:12 PM']Here's a couple of pics of her!!! BODY [attachment=4227:DSC02505.JPG]
& head [attachment=4228:DSC02500.JPG]
&............Geeee I'm a CR@P photographer!!!
[attachment=4229:DSC02502.JPG]Will try & get better whole shots later[/quote]

Lovley.

Can you comment on how the neck feels compared to a P neck (i realise they vary as well)