Why become a member? ×

Low output from D string

dave_bass5

I played my first gig with chromes on my jazz last night and noticed the D string was lower than the others. I figured this might be a duff string but after putting my old strings back on the problem is still there, although not so noticeable.
I've always felt somethings was not right with the D but I think the chromes have highlighted it.

I've yet to test the pups out properly. I'm going to turn the neck pup round and see if it makes difference but thought I would ask for any thoughts in the meantime.

I'll update once I've checked the pup.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='891870' date='Jul 11 2010, 11:52 AM']I played my first gig with chromes on my jazz last night and noticed the D string was lower than the others. I figured this might be a duff string but after putting my old strings back on the problem is still there, although not so noticeable.
I've always felt somethings was not right with the D but I think the chromes have highlighted it.

I've yet to test the pups out properly. I'm going to turn the neck pup round and see if it makes difference but thought I would ask for any thoughts in the meantime.

I'll update once I've checked the pup.[/quote]
Hi Dave, I put up a post this morning about strings and volume variability. Basically I swapped what should have been an identical E string and the volume jumped probably 25%! Maybe try one more set of strings before fiddling with pickup?

Cheers Clarky.

I guess I will give it a go as I would rather not mess with the pup. I'll see if I can get the one off my ray34.

Turning the pup around won't take long so if the string doesn't work it's not a big job
I guess I should check the back pup first, if that's the same then no point messing with them.
I'm just hoping it's not the bass itself.
Saying that I've done about 10 gigs already with the bass and it's not really been a problem I just know that now it's highlighted it will play on my mind.

Hmmmm, this si interesting.

I swapped the D over with the one on my Ray34 (both the same string) and the issue was still there. I checked the Ray and that was fine.

I checked the bridge pup and that seemed ok.

I used the input meter on Amplitube 3 to see if it was a levels thing or EQ and all other strings would peak in to the red other than the D string (and im talking open as well as fretted notes).

So ive rotated the pup and first impression is its a much more even response now. The G and D seem more solid, and if the A is weaker its not a problem as its a louder string anyway. Ive also found that before the E was quite pronounced, this is now a bit more subdued.

So far ive olny play it through my crappy PC speakers but the input level is showing a difference and the bass does sound different. I hope its not just my mind thinking/hoping its better though.

Ive got a gig tonight :-( so ill give it a proper test. I'll also email Andy at wizard to get his thoughts but i do feel a bit happier now.

Oh, and i wish i hadnt got the Ray34 out as i want to play that as well now.

EDIT: Nuts, it was just my imagination. Still got a lower D :-( I think ill live with it though. Its not as bad with rounds as it is with flats and i think i prefer rounds on this bass.

Edited by dave_bass5

You've got two pickups and it would be incredibly unlikely if they both had a fault. I would try with one pickup up full and the other off. Then the other way around. If it's just with one then it's the pickup. If it's both it's the string (or something it's attached to). I suppose it's just possible that you could have an EQ issue somewhere that is notching out that particular frequency but trying with a different rig will eliminate that.

Cheers.

I changed the string and it was no different. The old string went on my Ray34 and it was fine.
I rotated the neck pup and i "thought" it had cured it but not so sure. It does seem better though but that might be because maybe i havent go tthe pup at the same height as it was before.
The bridge pup also seems to be doing it but it could well be my imagination.
Im convinced its not the pups away.

I think 3 strings is enough to tell its not the string. The Chromes really showed it up and im wondering if its a loss of higher freqs thats making it seem quieter. I does sound ok unplugged, i think. Im probably talking nonsense though.

At the gig on sunday (with the XLs back on) it wasn't really noticeable although i did feel that more notes we getting lost on the D string than any other string. for example playing I feel fine up at the 10th/12th fret DA/D string the notes on D would just not be there.
I do think at least part of it is to do with freq but im wondering if maybe the D string isnt seated properly in the nut or at the bridge. I have checked it all over as much as i can.

Its not something im going to dwell on right now as i have a new bass arriving today, and i wouldn't hesitate to gig it as it is but i would like to get to the bottom of it at some point.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='895476' date='Jul 15 2010, 11:44 AM']Cheers.

I changed the string and it was no different. The old string went on my Ray34 and it was fine.
I rotated the neck pup and i "thought" it had cured it but not so sure. It does seem better though but that might be because maybe i havent go tthe pup at the same height as it was before.
The bridge pup also seems to be doing it but it could well be my imagination.
Im convinced its not the pups away.

I think 3 strings is enough to tell its not the string. The Chromes really showed it up and im wondering if its a loss of higher freqs thats making it seem quieter. I does sound ok unplugged, i think. Im probably talking nonsense though.

At the gig on sunday (with the XLs back on) it wasn't really noticeable although i did feel that more notes we getting lost on the D string than any other string. for example playing I feel fine up at the 10th/12th fret DA/D string the notes on D would just not be there.
I do think at least part of it is to do with freq but im wondering if maybe the D string isnt seated properly in the nut or at the bridge. I have checked it all over as much as i can.

Its not something im going to dwell on right now as i have a new bass arriving today, and i wouldn't hesitate to gig it as it is but i would like to get to the bottom of it at some point.[/quote]

Is it something as simple as having your action set too low. That can cause all sorts of weirdness.

Ive thought about that but i dont think it is.

The action is pretty low (2mm at 12th fret on the E string) but ive tried adjusting the pup up and down to see if maybe that was causing too much pull on the string. The G definitely has a bit more power to it.

Its funny because my other bass, the Ray34 has a weak string issue. Now, if only i could combine the two ;-)

• 1 month later...

Just bringing this thread back to life as ive got a new HW-one and seem to have the same issue.

No idea whats going on as the CV Jazz seem ok now. Maybe its the strings after all.

I got the HW on friday and it sounded fine at home but at the gig notes on the D string were very faint. I put it down to the slightly boomy room and while it was a pain i figured it was a one off. This was with the stock Fender strings so again, i figure dit could be a bad string.
At home yesterday i used the input meter check again and i found i could get it to peak with all strings other than the D. In fact the G was very loud.

So ive got some new strings on their way but it seems funny that im having this issue again. Ive gone through 3 MIA's this month and none of them had this issue so i dont think its anything im doing wrong with my EQ.

Interesting, I've got the same sort of problem with my Cort. I spent a lot of time fiddling with pup heights and eq settings but could only mask the problem. I mainly use Rotosound 66's and when these are new the problem isn't so pronounced although I am still aware of it whatever the strings. I've even thought about upgrading the pups but without the promise of a cure it seems a lot to spend on what is basically a cheap bass. Is this a common problem with P-bass pickups?