Why become a member? ×

Tokai T-Bird

Bassulike66

Looking at getting myself a T-bird, didn't really want to spend all that cash straight off on a Gibbo and realize it's not for me, so i was wondering what these Tokai fellers are all about!?

Anyone got one or owned one that could give me a bit of a feeler about em'??

Any info would be greatly appreciated...

Thank you very glad...

I got a shot of Neepheid's one before he sold it and it got [s]butchered[/s] customised. I was pleasantly surprised at the ballsy tone and how comfortably it sat on your shoulder. The neck is quite wide and because of that extra bit of wood running up the middle there is no possibility for slapage (well popage). I would have one if I needed one.

I've owned an Epi T bird, and it was fantastic, I loved that bass, and I would argue that it's better value and just as playable as it's much more expensive relative. My mate has the Tokai bird, and once again, it's a fantastic bass, nice player, and loads of thump. I can't honestly say there's a massive difference between the two, even though the Tokai has a glued in neck, I couldn't say that made a massive difference to the tone [i]for me personally[/i].

In my experience I can highly recommend either bass.

The only thing I've read about the Tokai T-Bird is that the neck isn't set into the body as far as the Gibson original, or the Epi. This adds a little to the inherent neck-dive property of the genre and some find playing the bottom notes a bit of a stretch.

If you do a search for 'Thunderbird' in Talkbass, you'll find a couple of mentions on this.

Beyond that, the consensus seems to be that it's better then the Epi (and many say that the new ones - especially the Pro Series - are very, very good) and maybe not quite as good as a *good* Gibson (if you can find one). YMMV.

G.

Guitar Guitar are doing Epi T Birds for £200 brand new. There doesnt seem to be a lot of love for the T Bird on here? Why is that? I know they have their downsides such as being neck heavy and the very un user friendly bridge and saddle arrangement but their sound is amazing and they look great

[quote name='BigRedX' post='893807' date='Jul 13 2010, 03:11 PM']You need to evaluate each type of Thunderbird on its own merits. Neither the Tokai, or the various Epiphone versions have much in common with the Gibson originals except the body shape.[/quote]

Yep dead right. The copies are nothing like the real thing from what I've experienced. Personally I don't like Thunderbirds and believe me, I've really wanted to.

I have a lefty Tokai T bird,no comparison with Gibsons or Epiphones because they refuse to make lefty ones...The Tokai is an extremeley well made instrument and sounds great,but neck heavy is a major understatement,headstock diving towards the floor permanantly is a bit of a problem.Using the fretting hand to prop the thing up does make it harder to play.