Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

You spend your whole life waiting to go to a festival...

theosd

...And then you get to go to two in a row and play at them! Awesome.

My new(ish) band Archie Wah Wahs are playing at hop farm (bread and roses stage, 9pm) in paddock wood and lounge on the farm in canterbury (you say they play stage, 1pm).

Hoorah!

[quote name='WarPig' post='883110' date='Jul 1 2010, 03:58 PM']well done theo! lounge on the farm looks good.[/quote]

Cheers dude; Hop Farm looks even better! Bob Dylan, Peter Green, Van Morrison, Seasick Steve, Mumford and Sons, Ray Davies. Dunno how they've pulled those names in just their 3rd year but fair play to 'em! Can't wait.

[quote name='theosd' post='883669' date='Jul 2 2010, 09:00 AM']Naturally!

He's not so good live though I'm told :)[/quote]
Best of luck, mate - looks like a great line-up. Sweet Billy Pilgrim are well worth checking out.

Well that was awesome. Think we gave Mr. Dylan a run for his money! Nah it was great fun though.

Seasick Steve the best act by far. Our drummer got a picture with him backstage - jealous. Anyone else go Hop Farm this year?

[quote name='theosd' post='885402' date='Jul 4 2010, 12:37 PM']Well that was awesome. Think we gave Mr. Dylan a run for his money! Nah it was great fun though.

Seasick Steve the best act by far. Our drummer got a picture with him backstage - jealous. Anyone else go Hop Farm this year?[/quote]

Glad you had a good day Theo, sorry we missed you. Mumfords and Dylan get my vote. Rolling Stone was something of a moment! Seasick Steve, well, good guy but you can see that act in nearly every bar from New Orleans to Chicago (a fact that to his great credit he recognised when he told the crowd how, if it wasn't for the UK, he'd still be sitting on a street corner playing for dimes. Loved the line "the dimes have got a whole lot bigger recently"). Boy, does he need a bassist or what? The sound was so thin and weak, when the Mumfords came on the ground started to move again. Ray Davies was absolute crap, second rate Kinks tribute band stuff, really disappointing.

C

[quote name='Beedster' post='885456' date='Jul 4 2010, 01:40 PM']Glad you had a good day Theo, sorry we missed you. Mumfords and Dylan get my vote. Rolling Stone was something of a moment! Seasick Steve, well, good guy but you can see that act in nearly every bar from New Orleans to Chicago (a fact that to his great credit he recognised when he told the crowd how, if it wasn't for the UK, he'd still be sitting on a street corner playing for dimes. Loved the line "the dimes have got a whole lot bigger recently"). Boy, does he need a bassist or what? The sound was so thin and weak, when the Mumfords came on the ground started to move again. Ray Davies was absolute crap, second rate Kinks tribute band stuff, really disappointing.

C[/quote]

That's ok; I guess [i]some[/i] people had to go watch Robert, make it worth his while. :rolleyes:

I tend to disagree, I found Mumford and Sons flat without a drummer and that same disco beat bashing away.. found it a little samey. Seasick Steve put on the best entertainment, but then I love his stuff anyway (even though it's lacking bass; a little dash wouldn't go amiss for sure) - he builds up such a rapport with the crowd in stark contrast to the likes of Mr Dylan and that arrogant f***face Van Morrison (whose band, though tight as f***, were all the more boring for it).

My favourite line of Steve's was when he said in Dog House Blues that "I always used to put the hat out for spare change - I just want you to know I'm getting a sh*t-load of spare change now!" Brilliant. Perhaps he would have suited a smaller, more intimate stage but I personally think he really carried it off well. He was walking around and talking with people backstage all day too - a truly genuinely nice bloke!

Magic numbers' bassist lady is decent I reckon, driving force of the band. Someone has to be. Saw Peter Green on the Friday too; oh man did he look old! There was some dodgy Phil Collins-alike with his head so far up Mr. Green's arse it was cringeworthy fronting his band and probably wondering why the hell he'd managed to land that gig! In fact I think one of my slight criticisms of the festival was that a lot of the older acts lacked that little spark of energy to get everyone a bit more into it.

Heard a bit of Bob Dylan but it was hard to make anything out from Bread & Roses. Surprisingly I heard a lot of murmurs of discontent about his set. Best moment of our gig was when Rich said "this one's for anyone who hates Bob Dylan" and some sections of our crowd cheered! Controversial.

(P.S. I'd just like to point out that we don't hate Bob Dylan, it was said with tongue firmly in cheek :) ).

We're at the command house in chatham at 4 today as well... I'll be asleep on my feet for sure.

Edited by theosd