Why become a member? ×

Tux Guitar

dumelow

First off, if anybody doesnt use it, they should. Its basicly software that plays powertab aswell as guitarpro files. Its a fantastic way to read tab as you can slow sections down and really listen to the rhythm of something rather than guessing how something is played when reading standard tab. it can be downloaded here

[url="http://tuxguitar.herac.com.ar/"]http://tuxguitar.herac.com.ar/[/url]

secondly, people who do use it, where do you find your tabs? I use guitar-universe myself and whilst it does have many many files on there, theres always certain tracks i cannot find

[quote name='Johnston' post='875183' date='Jun 23 2010, 10:46 AM']I go to ulitmate-guitar.

Although since I updated to ubuntu 10.04 it hasn't worked :) :rolleyes:

The only thing I don't like about it is it doesn't transpose tabs properly if you want to play a song in the original key but with funny tuning on your bass.[/quote]

ever thought of 911tabs.com? its a group of tab sites, including ultimate-guitar. i origionally used ultimate-guitar when someone put me onto 911tabs. you get all of the tabs on ultimate-guitar, but you also get tabs from other sites.

and to answer the OP, if you hadn't already guessed, i use 911tabs.com

Edited by Tait

[quote name='spinynorman' post='875387' date='Jun 23 2010, 01:39 PM']I use Guitar Pro. It's good, but I suppose the downside is you have to pay for it. I've been getting files from GProTab.net.[/quote]

Get yourself on tuxguitar mate, its freeware and opens guitarpro files no problem

[quote name='Tait' post='875534' date='Jun 23 2010, 04:14 PM']and to answer the OP, if you hadn't already guessed, i use 911tabs.com[/quote]

cheers, ill give it a shot, been struggling to find decent stevie wonder tabs

[quote name='spinynorman' post='877500' date='Jun 25 2010, 03:57 PM']Thing is, I paid for GuitarPro so long ago I can't remember the pain.[/quote]

I've had a couple of alleged GP5 tabs from 911Tabs.com that my copy of GP5 refuses to open, claiming I "need to upgrade" or some such nonsense. TuxGuit opens 'em just fine & it's a whole heap easier to use.

Tux is now on my list of essential software, & I reckon it's Big Red Lever Time for GP.

Pete

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='877572' date='Jun 25 2010, 04:54 PM']I've had a couple of alleged GP5 tabs from 911Tabs.com that my copy of GP5 refuses to open, claiming I "need to upgrade" or some such nonsense. TuxGuit opens 'em just fine & it's a whole heap easier to use.

Tux is now on my list of essential software, & I reckon it's Big Red Lever Time for GP.

Pete[/quote]

+1 i mean Tuxguitar works with the latest versions of Guitar Pro AND power tab files, without having to pay for it all over again when a new version comes out. It's another case of companies shooting themselves in the foot by being too greedy imo.

[quote name='Johnston' post='875183' date='Jun 23 2010, 05:46 AM']I go to ulitmate-guitar.

Although [u]since I updated to ubuntu 10.04 it hasn't worked[/u] :) :rolleyes:

The only thing I don't like about it is it doesn't transpose tabs properly if you want to play a song in the original key but with funny tuning on your bass.[/quote]

[url="http://tuxguitar.herac.com.ar/forum/5/1683/no-start-under-ubuntu-10-04/"]http://tuxguitar.herac.com.ar/forum/5/1683...r-ubuntu-10-04/[/url]

--------

Plan B:

Replace OpenJDK Java 6 with sun-java6.

(A neighbour complained that he couldn't play the java-based games at Pogo.com on the Edubuntu 10.04 box I gave him. The following procedure remedied the problem.)

- quit Firefox if it's running

- go to System-->Administration-->Software Sources and make sure the Partner repository is checked under third-party software.

- in Terminal run [font="Courier New"]sudo apt-get update[/font] (to update the lists of software available from the Ubuntu repositories)

- in Applications-->Ubuntu Software Center remove OpenJDK Java 6 Runtime (doing so will automatically remove two dependencies as well)

- in System-->Administration-->Synaptic Package Manager check mark and install [font="Courier New"]sun-java6-plugin[/font] (doing so will automatically check mark and install its required dependencies)

- reboot

[quote name='spinynorman' post='878528' date='Jun 27 2010, 12:17 AM']Downloaded TuxGuitar. It's a very blatant GPro rip-off, except [b]I can't see a way to mute or solo tracks[/b]. I don't think it's going to win me over, tbh, though I'm sure I'd use it of I didn't already have GPro.[/quote]

Ctrl+m or View > Show Mixer. Not very intuitive I admit, but it's there.

Pete.

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='877572' date='Jun 25 2010, 04:54 PM']I've had a couple of alleged GP5 tabs from 911Tabs.com that my copy of GP5 refuses to open, claiming I "need to upgrade" or some such nonsense. TuxGuit opens 'em just fine & it's a whole heap easier to use.

Pete[/quote]

If you have paid for your copy of guitar pro, you get free updates when you sign on to the website with your details.

[quote name='dumelow' post='875754' date='Jun 23 2010, 07:26 PM']Get yourself on tuxguitar mate, its freeware and opens guitarpro files no problem[/quote]

Why bother when you already own GP5??

Pete[/quote]

I had this problem, too! Not so much with 911tabs, but with any GP5 file that the guitarist in my band sent me. Even if it was a GP5 file I'd written myself, sent to him, and he'd made a change and sent it back to me, it still wouldn't work for me. No idea why. But that's exactly why I downloaded TuxGuitar.