Why become a member? ×

'62 jazz electronics

[quote name='Etienne' post='881321' date='Jun 29 2010, 08:30 PM']Would be interesting to find out what the original spec was! I've got a pair of the CTS stack repros from Allparts installed in mine- they have a 250K pot for volume and a 500K pot for tone...[/quote]

That's correct, AFAIK.

[quote name='wesfinn' post='881351' date='Jun 29 2010, 08:58 PM']yeah he is AMAZING. Hes a lovely guy too though he keeps some of the smaller details close to his chest. I don;t blame him though! He has been a big help for me in terms of finding out the real niggly details of things. He doesn't use the notch washers on his stack knob circuits either, this is another thing that has led me to believe they werent on the originals because he does EVERYTHING as it was done originally. Have you seen his new 59 les paul replicas he is doing? they are absolutely mindblowingly accurate![/quote]

Why would Fender create a reissue and introduce something that is not period accurate? I don't understand that. Time for a bit of reasearch.

Ok, after a bit of nosing around I have found that the indented washers [u][b]were[/b][/u] used on the 1960 model but were gone by 1961 !!

Edited by Stacker

All the information I have managed to obtain points to the original stack-knob pots being 250K/250K which you can't buy any more.

I bought a pair of CTS 250K/500K and a pair of CTS 250K pots and performed surgery to create 250K/250K. They work very well and the tone controls have a much better range than with 500K.

Customised pots...now that's just a bit clever! I would ask how, but I'm sure I couldn't manage that, and there are far better qualified people who will be asking you the same thing. I'll leave it to them. But still very clever.

[quote name='obbm' post='881629' date='Jun 30 2010, 09:18 AM']All the information I have managed to obtain points to the original stack-knob pots being 250K/250K which you can't buy any more.[/quote]

With respect, where did you get this information from? I can't find anything on(or even knew of) the second 250K pot in a the original stack circuit. And just to clarify: the detented washer [u][b]was[/b][/u] used in the 1960 model.

[quote name='BassBod' post='881653' date='Jun 30 2010, 09:56 AM']Customised pots...now that's just a bit clever! I would ask how, but I'm sure I couldn't manage that, and there are far better qualified people who will be asking you the same thing. I'll leave it to them. But still very clever.[/quote]

If you ever want this done, get the bits and send them to me. i'm quite happy to do it for you.

[quote name='Stacker' post='881687' date='Jun 30 2010, 10:34 AM']With respect, where did you get this information from? I can't find anything on(or even knew of) the second 250K pot in a the original stack circuit. And just to clarify: the detented washer [u][b]was[/b][/u] used in the 1960 model.[/quote]

I found it on the web somewhere a couple of years ago which is why I did it. Maybe even Talkbass.

It doesn't worry me whether it's original or not, I'm afraid I don't get hung up on things like that. It just works very well which is good enough for me

[quote name='obbm' post='881746' date='Jun 30 2010, 11:24 AM']I found it on the web somewhere a couple of years ago which is why I did it. Maybe even Talkbass.

It doesn't worry me whether it's original or not, I'm afraid I don't get hung up on things like that. It just works very well which is good enough for me[/quote]

I'm glad to hear it.

Me, I'm just curious as to why Fender would make something that's not period accurate, especially electronically, though I do forgive them for sacking the bakelite bridge sections of the '51 P-bass when it came to re-issuing it.

[quote name='obbm' post='881629' date='Jun 30 2010, 09:18 AM']All the information I have managed to obtain points to the original stack-knob pots being 250K/250K which you can't buy any more.[/quote]

Thank you for alerting me to this for you are indeed correct.