Why become a member? ×

S D Curlee

Anyone know of these basses? I really like the look of it but can't afford it right now. I thought i'd point it out and maybe find out a bit about them at the same time...
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250649446857&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT[/url]

Right - these came in two flavours - the original US-built version and a licensed copy by Hondo, built in Korea or possibly Japan. Understandably the Hondo version is much more common (particularly in the UK) and similarly understandably the Hondos are never identified as such in the Ebay listings.

And this one's a Hondo. That doesn't make it a bad bass - just one you wouldn't want to pay a lot of money for. I'd say if you're OK with this being a bit of a project, and the price stays south of £150 it's probably worth a punt.

Jon.

• 1 year later...

I've got a US-made one I bought in (ummm) about 1983. Grover machine heads, DiMarzio pups, Badass bridge etc. Very very 'roadworn' - as in covered in scratches and nicks - but structurally sound and still plays and sounds terrific. Still use it at practice occasionally and my son did some YouTube cover vids using it which he tells me attracted several enquiries as to 'what was that bass dude?' - or however it is youngsters address each other these days. He's threatened to kill me if I sell it but I do sometime wonder if it's worth anything.