Why become a member? ×

Rickenbacker 3001 - Excellent condition and all original!

faceman

Sorry - photos will be up later today. Camera won't connect to computer for some reason!

So, it's time to get me back down to two basses so it's time to sell something vintage. I could really do with a new laptop so not really up for trades on this one fellas, just a sale. This is my all original 1977 Rickenbacker 3001 bass for sale and my word what a bass! This was imported especially from Chicago's Vintage Guitars last year when I saw how beautiful it was.

If you think 4001 with some extra low end balls then you are there. It's got a single humbucker in the sweet spot with tone and volume controls. Check out the dude from Franz Ferdinand, early Blondie and Mani to see this thing in action. It's such a cool bass with an excellent 70s vibe. The neck is very much like P, big and very movable. Also comes original hardcase too, which although being very heavy is also in good condition. The bass itself has a bit of wear on the body but apart from that, it's totally tip top condition.

So I'm looking for around [b]£645[/b] for this baby. I've done some research and recently they have sold from somewhere between £450 and £900 so I think this is a fair price. I paid around £800 when I shipped in from the USA which was a little much but it was worth it. Am willing to ship to mainland UK as well, although it would probably be an injustice to send this around incase it gets broken

Any questions, comments, just let me know :)

Edited by faceman

Nice bass. I used to have the short-scale 3000 (which is the one Mani uses). The Arctic Monkeys guy plays a 3001, fyi. £700 sounds a good price for one of these - they don't come up too often! Good luck with the sale

Thanks guys, the photos reminded me what a beauty it is! I always get confused with the 3000 and 3001 Clarky, I'm guessing the neck/body size are the only difference. Either way, it's a cracking rock bass, even better with a pick.

With my 4003 and StingRay I get all the tones I want so it's not really needed at the moment. So yeah, any questions let me know!

[quote name='faceman' post='866947' date='Jun 14 2010, 12:42 PM']Thanks guys, the photos reminded me what a beauty it is! I always get confused with the 3000 and 3001 Clarky, I'm guessing the neck/body size are the only difference. Either way, it's a cracking rock bass, even better with a pick.

With my 4003 and StingRay I get all the tones I want so it's not really needed at the moment. So yeah, any questions let me know![/quote]

What are the 3 controls?

The difference between 3000 and 3001 is the latter has a full-scale (33.5 inch) neck (3000, 30 inch) and an extra tone control (3000: vol, tone; 3001, vol, bass boost, treble boost)

Here's a good link [url="http://www.rickbeat.com/modelslibrary/3001/3001.htm"]http://www.rickbeat.com/modelslibrary/3001/3001.htm[/url]

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='875678' date='Jun 23 2010, 06:11 PM']That bass has some serious mojo, I like! But alas, cannot afford. Yet...

Any chance of some sound clips?[/quote]
Ahead of any reply from faceman, I know from the research I did when buying my old 3000 that this was essentially conceived as a simpler (than the 4000 series, that is) bass and was pitched against the Precision. My old 3000 sounded really quite Precision like as a result of the single coil pickup and its placement

I don't have any at the moment, I can try and record some tomorrow if the need is willing. This isn't very good but here is the fellow from Franz doing their thing with his 3001 through an Ampeg stack.

Thanks for everything so far, still for sale though. No trades though as cash is needed :)

• 1 month later...