Why become a member? ×

Zoom B2.1u or Line6 Bass Floorpod

Guest MoJo

Both on eBay for similar amounts. Not tried either so was wondering which has the better, usable sounds and gives the best value for money. Which is the better unit in your opinion and why?

Thanks
Mark

Edited by bassman2790

you might want to ignore what i have to say seeing as though ive never owned or heard either of these pedals, but i have read a lot about them and the general jist seems that the zoom pedal is amazing for tailoring your own effects but i have read that using live is annoying as to bypass the pedal you have to press on both footswitches simultaneously

the line6 apparantly is more of just an amp simulator, the effects are limited and not very good

but then again i havent played either of these pedals

IMO & YMMV etc...

I looked at both of these and tried them, although not in a gig situation, when I was deciding what to get - I ended up with a Boss ME50-B through a trade.

If I was buying I would have got the Floor Pod because I prefered the sounds, it was much easier to use and I think cheaper.

There are plenty of clips on Youtube for both which may help you decide.

I have the floor pod and previous posts are not far off IMHO

It is mostly an amp simulator (let me know if anyone has managed to get a good sound out of the synth function) but I do use the effects too, they are pretty simple but the filter and the chorus do what I need for a couple of songs.

Amp sounds are interesting to play with - mostly I end up with (EDIT: personalised versions of) the RnB model for clean and then brit or grind for dirty sounds. Expression pedal is a new one for me and I've loved playing around with volume swells and wah effects.

All in all a fun bit of kit. Shame that I don't really have much cause for any effects other than overdrive at the moment.

Unfortunately I have not played with the Zoom B2.1u but I've only heard good things about it.

Edited by rOB

I've owned both. They're both good but as others have said, serve different purposes.

The Zoom has got some excellent sounds, but I found it a bit fiddly to programme. The compressor isn't much use. There are some really good effects on there, but i found that i probably only used around a quarter of them.

The Floor pod has only a handful of models and effects, but I found all of them usable (apart from the synth). The amp models, in particular, are pretty good. The compressor is as good as a lot of stomp box compressors. Its also much simpler to programme presets.

The Floor pod is quite plasticky next to the Zoom, which is rock solid - worth taking into account if you're planning to gig it.

If you're looking for a few good sounds in an easy to use package, the line 6 works well. If you're looking for lots of effects and presets, and don't mind spending time programming it, the Zoom is excellent.

[quote name='Mog' post='865460' date='Jun 12 2010, 07:26 PM']Both are very good at what they do. For more fx go with the zoom. Neither would be suitable as a dedicated fx board as patch switching is limited and both suffer switching lag.[/quote]

That's odd - I've used the Zoom live for a couple of years and never had any trouble with lag. IIRC Zoom claim it's about 2ms and I've never had reason to doubt it.

didn't realise until it was just brought up (had to go and try it out) but there is a little lag between patch changes on the Floor Pod. Fine if you only use one patch per song but potentially a problem if you need to switch very quickly live. Having said that its a very small amount of time so could probably be worked around if necessary.

What I do is use the floor pod for amp modelling and effects I want through the whole song and then separate effects (usually just an overdrive pedal) for changes during the song.

I have used the Zoom fairly extensively for 18 months, and never had a problem with lag (or the switches for that matter). I personally find the EQ a bit crap, and the fuzz/distortion way over the top, but on the whole a great piece of kit. Very solid and reliable.

I tried the Pod, but found the constuction worringly flimsy, although a majority of sounds were quite nice.

I went with the Zoom, based on the solid construction, and greater array of sounds that I personally liked.

Yes it can be a bit fiddley at times to dial in the peramiters that you want, but it soon becomes quite intuitive. There was a post with a link to a site with some interesting patches [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=82984&hl=zoom+patches"]here[/url]

....and to think I used to have everything I needed in a WEM Copycat, Vox Crybaby and a Univox Super Fuzz.

[quote name='bassman2790' post='864892' date='Jun 12 2010, 06:55 AM']Both on eBay for similar amounts. Not tried either so was wondering which has the better, usable sounds and gives the best value for money. Which is the better unit in your opinion and why?

Thanks
Mark[/quote]

If you are interested I am selling a new one which I have hardly used because of lack of time.

here is the link: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=89501"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=89501[/url]

• 2 weeks later...

dont know if your still deciding to buy, but i found a decent demo by stu hamm using the b2.1u9t or whatever its called, im assuming theres not a lot of difference between each variation of the b2

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MSXfklXNn8&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MSXfklXNn8...feature=related[/url]

im starting to become tempted by the b2 myself, im in the market for a tuner, but this has a tuner + plenty more and goes secondhand for around £45