Why become a member? ×

Eight String Precision Idea

AndyTravis

Hey folks,
Bad dream last night, i was playing an eight string PBass.
Now i think i want to have a go at it...

Going to buy a Squier P, used.
Schaller 471 bridge.
Reashape the headstock, get my mate (a car resprayer) to match it to the body, i have a load of spare machine heads, enclosed modern types. Shape wise i'm aiming for the Fender IIX 'Hockey stick'.
Plug in the old holes, shape to a solid 'paddle' add two 'wings' and reshape from that.

Will probably add chrome covers, and at a later date, get better pickups in it.

Initially, i want to get it working for just under a ton, may have to settle for a Stagg or Johnson precision, as the 'donor' Squires i have seen have been rough, or about £80.

Will keep you updated, waiting for Schaller to get back to me with a price.

Does this sound feasable? Stupid? Foolish? I know the extra stress on the neck is a worry, but D'addario do a 40-100 gauge set with thin octaves to keep the tension down...

Andy

Sounds wickedd, the two possible issues would be the string spacing (probably not critical if you don't mind playing them close together) and neck tension, as the truss rod will now need to deal with the tension of two sets of long scale strings. That's why most double stringers have two truss rods. That said, maybe if you kept the main string tension way down (like a set of 30,50,65,85s) as well as the octaves, then why not give it a go? The other way to keep the tension down would be to tune the whole bass down a tone or so.

just sat down with a Stagg P copy, and the neck is wider, and deeper than a squier ( a bit of a baseball bat to be honest), may go for one of these...

Plus, if the neck warps, i've not spent much on it, thats why i thought 'get it working, then upgrade it'.

The lads at work think i'm an idiot, so i'm deffo having a go at it to prove them wrong...

8-strings are great, but I think you'll find that a standard 4-string neck will be too narrow to be really comfortable or usable.

My Carlo Robelli 8-string has a neck width that's only a little bit narrower than an average 5-string bass and TBH it still feels a bit too narrow.

Yeah, i'd thought of that, i'm used to a 75 jazz with a pencil thin neck, so this clubby stagg may just do it.

I think it's the sound i'm after, and i'll adapt to the spacing...

Worth mulling over though, still no word from schaller atm.

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='863372' date='Jun 10 2010, 04:31 PM']oops. That schaller bridge is discontinued...

Further research required.

Hmm...[/quote]
Ahh, I was wondering where you were going to get the Schaller 471 from. Last I checked Warmoth still have a few in stock - it might bust through your under a ton barrier once you factor in postage but they are [i]the[/i] 8 string bridge to have. Give them a try....

You've got to do this now, I have to see how this turns out. :)

Edited by henry norton

allparts have one, but its crazy expensive.

Warwick do their tailpiece and just a nut, i can buy them at trade, need to measure the spacing on my corvette std to see if i will have space.

Other options...
Try and fin a used one (time consuming)
Or mod a bbot bridge, employing a string through/recut saddles; may look crap, but i will shove an ashtray over it, function over form.

Have a think, any help appreciated.

yeah, was thinking that too.

I probably have the right saddles on my mim 50's precision, although i'd rather not start butchering my nice fender for a lark with a stagg.

Think thats a realistic plan A, cheers mate.

Through body and ferrules for the 8ve strings.

[quote name='hillbilly deluxe' post='863563' date='Jun 10 2010, 07:23 PM']Could you not use a BBOT bridge with the screw thread type saddles ?[/quote]
I've seen a few 8 (& 12) string basses without seperate saddles for the octave strings. Apparently they're alright 'til you get past the 6th or 7th frets when the difference in pitch starts to sound a bit discordant. That way you could use the BBOT with screw thread saddles and just drill 4 extra holes in the bent bit at the back. Cheaper than a 471!

Rough Sketch,

I'm tired, so i cocked drawing the headstock up (and mispelt Metallic), really i wanted to do a proper drawing, but i think this shows the Fender XII headstock shape works at least.

It needs to be a bit wider at the bottom etc...

anyhow, discussing options with my painter mate...

British Racing Green Metallic, Shell Pickguard, Matching Headstock...
As Above, but Dark Blue Metallic...

Chrome Covers too.

Anyhow, off to lose sleep about what to do next...

Hi, this will probably run against the entire build diary, and apologies for not reading it in full before i contradict any information, but i've asked jon shuker to do the same modifications to my precision. It should be done now, but in the time its taken a few things have arose and i will be looking to sell it pretty much as soon as i get my hand on it, which while it is a shame, if you are looking for one let me know. Its only a mexican p bass so i won't be expecting the world for it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have tried more than a few I personally won't buy an instrument with multiple string courses that aren't tuned in unison unless the intonation on each string is individually adjustable. After the 5th fret the tuning difference between the strings is unusable. Any manufacturer that tries to tell you otherwise is obviously staffed by people who are all tone-deaf.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='922452' date='Aug 12 2010, 10:48 AM']I have tried more than a few I personally won't buy an instrument with multiple string courses that aren't tuned in unison unless the intonation on each string is individually adjustable. After the 5th fret the tuning difference between the strings is unusable. Any manufacturer that tries to tell you otherwise is obviously staffed by people who are all tone-deaf.[/quote]

I reckon that on a project bass with a limited budget like this one, it's got to be worth starting with the option that doesn't cost anything, at least until it's evident that the bass is going to be viable as an 8-string. You can always fork out for the Schaller later if the bass works out but you're not happy with the intonation.
It's also a personal preference as to how much pitch variation between the bass and octave strings you can live with. I think I have a reasonable ear for pitch (since I've payed double bass and fretless electric for a good few years and people generally ask me back), but on my rough and ready 4-saddle 8 string, I hear the pitch difference as a chorus-y modulation which just adds a bit of flavour, until about the 12th fret on the bottom strings. Higher than that it becomes too much for me. But then I also enjoy listening to Cedell Davis, so maybe I'm just weird about this stuff. Some kinds of music sound a bit insipid if they're perfectly in tune, in my opinion.

Hows tricks?
I haven't had the time or money to get it started to be honest.
Our little one is due to go to a nursery when mrs trav heads back to full time work soon, and the costs are criplling to sat the least.

I've also been designing basses in conjuction with a massive factory in the far east, the first prototypes are nearly done, but i'm hoping to work on more exciting things with them too...
Maybe i'll break the back of it sometime soon.

The thing is, i started designing it as a lark, and then got very serious into it. I may comission my mate Jim to build one for me.

I'll have more of a think on it.

[quote name='willyf87' post='923015' date='Aug 12 2010, 06:15 PM']An 8 string p bass sounds like the best idea ever... I'm glad i thought of it....... ONLY JOKING!! But seriously if you make one you would be my hero.[/quote]

i'll make it...just need a spare £200 or so to get a working version of it.

Sean - Have you had your Fender back from John Shuker yet??

If so, please post a photo to re-ignite the eight string idea in my head.

Just as a point, why are the vast majority of Production 8-string basses 'Metal' type designs (Dean and ESP) the Hagstrom H-8 seems nice enough, but it's a short scale, and i can't get on with short scale.
I wish Hagstrom would do a long scale version, plus make it a bit closer to their original design...

Sub £500 vintage styled 8-string...now there's an idea,

Edited by AndyTravis

I use my cheap (but with individual sting intonation) Carlo Robelli 8-string to play lots of stuff with open drone strings and 2-note chords. For me the intonation with pairs of strings sharing the same saddle problems are obvious once I pass the 5th fret, and based on past experience I won't pick any instrument with octave paired string off the wall to try unless it has individual intonation adjustment for each string as the playing experience is too painful on the ears.

i have the hagstrom, its not a huge difference to me that its short scale if i'm honest when i'm playing I don't notice it, but if there was a trad styled 8 string precison that sounds the mutts nuts i'd have to have a go!! The only downer i have is the strap pin being in the place it is one the left hand side, makes the strap a tad uncomfortable.