Why become a member? ×

Upgrading an RBX270 fretless

ead

A year or so ago I launched into the world of fretless bass and bought an inexpensive RBX270FL bass from evilbay. I'm now very much enjoying the who f/l experience and wondering about fixing the couple of minor niggles e.g. crackling pots or possibly a slightly posher bass.

I then got to thinking why not consider improved pickups and electronics instead as I like the neck, the light weight, and the feel of the bass generally. What options do I have in this respect (pups/electronics)? On balance I'd like to stay passive and not get involved with routing but just something I could (relatively) easily change over. Maybe some posher looking knobs too.

What do you think lads and lasses?

Edited by ead

[quote name='ead' post='866899' date='Jun 14 2010, 11:59 AM']Cheers Kongo, looks interesting....[/quote]

Interesting, let me know the results as I have one of these RBX banging about and don't quite know what to do with it.
It is actually a hybrid as the neck + body are from two different RBXs. I have sanded the body down so it looks quite
nice and is very light, but that's about all I like about that guitar... Mabe new nut, better pickups and active electronics
would help, but then I think I'd rather flog it and buy something better. I actually bought this thing way back as a jam
session bass to leave in a venue, and that's what I still think it's good for...

[quote name='ead' post='862787' date='Jun 10 2010, 12:03 AM']On balance I'd like to stay passive and not get involved with routing but just something I could (relatively) easily change over. Maybe some posher looking knobs too.

What do you think lads and lasses?[/quote]

Why not try a quality outboard preamp? No messing with routing, and you can keep it after you sell the bass.

[quote name='fatback' post='866962' date='Jun 14 2010, 12:52 PM']Why not try a quality outboard preamp? No messing with routing, and you can keep it after you sell the bass.[/quote]

+1 good point, when I play that RBX through the Fishman BII (which is for double bass, really, and has only bass + treble) it sounds WAY better. Outboard preamp is probably the best tip you can give ANY bassist who hasn't got one yet IMHO - and it's easy enough to try that out

[quote name='ead' post='866899' date='Jun 14 2010, 11:59 AM']Cheers Kongo, looks interesting....[/quote]

Mostly Fender stuff... P and J and nothing else, but the bridge / controls / pups on the RBX are nothing special you could go anywhere with it!

I was gonna go:

DiMarzio Will Power + Model J
Badass bridge
Hipshot tuners
Hipshot Drop-tuner
Passive electronics.

Was jus sposed to be a simple powerhouse but...Never got round to it, instead I fitted a Basslines 1/4 pounder in the bridge...did nothing...then flogged it!
Instead I did a P-bass later and slammed a Will Power into that...and then crapped myself!!!

[quote name='janmaat' post='866909' date='Jun 14 2010, 12:11 PM']Interesting, let me know the results as I have one of these RBX banging about and don't quite know what to do with it.
It is actually a hybrid as the neck + body are from two different RBXs. I have sanded the body down so it looks quite
nice and is very light, but that's about all I like about that guitar... Mabe new nut, better pickups and active electronics
would help, but then I think I'd rather flog it and buy something better. I actually bought this thing way back as a jam
session bass to leave in a venue, and that's what I still think it's good for...[/quote]

Will do. Until the post about outboard preamps (about which I am equally ignorant :) ) I was slowly drifitng towards some Wizard PJs and a passive pre-amp harness; there's a US website selling them here: [url="http://buzzardsbass.com/electronics/wiring/prewired-control-harnesses.html#pjbass"]http://buzzardsbass.com/electronics/wiring...ses.html#pjbass[/url] - does anybody know this guy? As the bass is not that valuable I'm reluctant to spend loads on it or I would have just traded it for a posh fretless bass. Although.... :rolleyes:

[quote name='fatback' post='866962' date='Jun 14 2010, 12:52 PM']Why not try a quality outboard preamp? No messing with routing, and you can keep it after you sell the bass.[/quote]

Are these like my Hartke Bass Attack box, or is this something different. I'll have to investigate...

Hi. I have one of these - dark metallic green and I have several other fretless to match it against.
In my opinion, give the pots a quick squirt and leave it alone. :)

You could spend a lot on it, more than the bass is worth, for not a huge gain.
Mine is at a friends, at the mo' - he is gigging it.
He turned down the offer of a USA Jazz, a Guild, a lovely sounding Peavey Foundation and a
couple of 70's copies, in favour of the Yam.
A local teacher, who has several high end basses had a go and was VERY surprised how
good it was.

If you fancy something different, perhaps try some others but for access at the high end of the neck,
which is a cracker - so easy to play - the lightness and the range of sounds from the standard pups,
you may have a long search.

Save your $$$$$ and enjoy it the way it is.

There, I've had my 2/- worth - 10p for the younger amongst you!! :rolleyes:

[quote name='FlatEric' post='867956' date='Jun 15 2010, 12:46 PM']Hi. I have one of these - dark metallic green and I have several other fretless to match it against.
In my opinion, give the pots a quick squirt and leave it alone. :)

You could spend a lot on it, more than the bass is worth, for not a huge gain.
Mine is at a friends, at the mo' - he is gigging it.
He turned down the offer of a USA Jazz, a Guild, a lovely sounding Peavey Foundation and a
couple of 70's copies, in favour of the Yam.
A local teacher, who has several high end basses had a go and was VERY surprised how
good it was.

If you fancy something different, perhaps try some others but for access at the high end of the neck,
which is a cracker - so easy to play - the lightness and the range of sounds from the standard pups,
you may have a long search.

Save your $$$$$ and enjoy it the way it is.

There, I've had my 2/- worth - 10p for the younger amongst you!! :rolleyes:[/quote]

I went to my first bass lesson in Music college about 5 years ago carrying with me...A Yamaha RBX170 (the uber cheap one)...Next to jazz, p-bass and a slew of Ibanez' as much as I loved it I felt a little...out of place...To my surprise my tutor sporting his Ibanez 6-string, asks if he can have a play "I love yammie's" he says as he slaps through Tommy the Cat.
"Thats a nice bass!" he says when handing it back to me...

Nice bass? well yes I guess it was...for £140!!!
Unfortunatly I ran it into the ground, which is why I chose the RBX270 as a project to try and resurrect the old feelings...but Id moved on.

The RBX range is great.

ead,

Been there and done it. It was my first venture into pimping. (I have moved on quite a bit since then!)

I replaced everything except the knobs ( I'm not sure why!) the body neck and neckplate. Everything else was ditched.

Mine was Wilkinson bridge and tuners, which were not expensive (and IIRC I got them off gleebay) but a huge improvement on the nasty pressed tin OEM ones. A complete rewire V/V/T (although you could get away with a small Bart pre amp if you really needed to - without re routing) and doesnt need a harness it is very easy to do, if you have any skill with wire cutters and a soldering iron.
And then SD pups and left passive.
It turned it into a monster, and was well worth the effort.... !

Below are some pics (prior to the SD's going into it) just before its final incarnation.

Its a shame you are a fair way away, if you got the bits you wanted to do it with I could put it together for you in an afternoon.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='868701' date='Jun 16 2010, 07:49 AM']ead,

Been there and done it. It was my first venture into pimping. (I have moved on quite a bit since then!)

I replaced everything except the knobs ( I'm not sure why!) the body neck and neckplate. Everything else was ditched.

Mine was Wilkinson bridge and tuners, which were not expensive (and IIRC I got them off gleebay) but a huge improvement on the nasty pressed tin OEM ones. A complete rewire V/V/T (although you could get away with a small Bart pre amp if you really needed to - without re routing) and doesnt need a harness it is very easy to do, if you have any skill with wire cutters and a soldering iron.
And then SD pups and left passive.
It turned it into a monster, and was well worth the effort.... !

Below are some pics (prior to the SD's going into it) just before its final incarnation.

Its a shame you are a fair way away, if you got the bits you wanted to do it with I could put it together for you in an afternoon.[/quote]

Man that is one good looking bass!

As FlatEric and Kongo I do like the weight/neck/access of this bass but I think I may have a milder form of GAS in that I like the idea of some upgrades. Interested to hear your comments re harnesses, I did originally look for the same type of pots (just to replace the scratchy tone pot) but there are many on the market, and as I couldn't see the like-for-like part number, I'm in a bit of a dither as to which is the right one! I do prefer a VVT set up to VBT though.

Have you considered re-locating to the North West Burpster, it's really very pleasant here and we have hills too :)

Indeed, I do like your hills and lakes very much...... :)

It was dead easy to re-wire. I bought the 2 SD quarterpounders, and just used their wiring diagram from the SD resource page.....

[url="http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=std_p_j_bass"]http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wirin...ic=std_p_j_bass[/url]

It doesn't get any easier than that!

I'm pretty sure I used CTS pots from either Allparts or Axes r us, and wire from the same supplier.

2x 250k linear for Vol
1x 250k audio for Tone.

Switchcraft jack socket, and Bob's your proverbial mums brother!

[quote name='ead' post='868724' date='Jun 16 2010, 08:32 AM']Man that is one good looking bass!

As FlatEric and Kongo I do like the weight/neck/access of this bass but I think I may have a milder form of GAS in that I like the idea of some upgrades. Interested to hear your comments re harnesses, I did originally look for the same type of pots (just to replace the scratchy tone pot) but there are many on the market, and as I couldn't see the like-for-like part number, I'm in a bit of a dither as to which is the right one! I do prefer a VVT set up to VBT though.

Have you considered re-locating to the North West Burpster, it's really very pleasant here and we have hills too :)[/quote]

Oh yeah forgot to add...Weight yes ofc...I added a Fat Finger...opinion is like Marmite on them, I jus got it cause I felt the neck was too light.
I didnt sell it with that tho! no no no that badboy sits clamped on my P-bass headstock.
I like weight in a bass...I was tempted to place wheel balancing weights in the electronics cavity once until I realised thats a LOT of metal to short stuff out!
:-O

[quote name='Kongo' post='869589' date='Jun 17 2010, 12:16 AM']Oh yeah forgot to add...Weight yes ofc...I added a Fat Finger...opinion is like Marmite on them, I jus got it cause I felt the neck was too light.
I didnt sell it with that tho! no no no that badboy sits clamped on my P-bass headstock.
I like weight in a bass...I was tempted to place wheel balancing weights in the electronics cavity once until I realised thats a LOT of metal to short stuff out!
:-O[/quote]

Having a dodgy disc or two in my neck after 30+ years of rugby I now see the benefits of lighter basses :rolleyes: My cherised Spector now feels a bit high on the Body Mass Index scale compared to the Yamaha (and my Ric for that mastter) - funnily enough the beloved Mrs ead says the same about my BMI :)

Funny, I just took delivery of an RBX270J today to pass on to an 11 year old lad as his first bass.

Tell you what, I'm in two minds about letting the little blighter have it. It's a really nice bass. Very light, and comfy to play, with some really great tones with the stock pups, but I reckon if you slapped a couple of Wizard pickups into it, you'd have a superb instrument.

[url="http://www.wizardpickups.co.uk/shop.asp?category=Bass"]http://www.wizardpickups.co.uk/shop.asp?category=Bass[/url]

[quote name='janmaat' post='869643' date='Jun 17 2010, 08:12 AM']How about the nut? I don't like the nut on mine (I believe it is not original neither).[/quote]

You will find its a std width and a Graph-tech is easy enough to source to replace it.

[quote name='Rayman' post='870080' date='Jun 17 2010, 06:13 PM']I reckon if you slapped a couple of Wizard pickups into it, you'd have a superb instrument.[/quote]

Any 'named' aftermarket pups are a hike to its performance. Certainly the SD 1/4lb ers made it into a monster. The stock ones are OK but if you are after a particular tone then the basdic instrument will carry it off with the pups in that aim to achieve that tone.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='870200' date='Jun 17 2010, 08:28 PM']Any 'named' aftermarket pups are a hike to its performance. Certainly the SD 1/4lb ers made it into a monster. The stock ones are OK but if you are after a particular tone then the basdic instrument will carry it off with the pups in that aim to achieve that tone.[/quote]

That's what went into mine! :)
(one of the pics I used when I sold it)

Tone, volume, sustain all went up by a mile!

Edited by Kongo

My one actually features only a P pick that I have just upgraded by there is still not enough punch in the lower freqs for me. So I am toying with the idea to fit in a MM style pickup. I guess the most difficult is to cut the hole (and to know where). Anyone done this?

MM pickups are great for fretless I find. (Though my yammi is fretted)

Edited by janmaat

• 5 months later...

Well after some months of dithering, several beers, and in depth analysis at the pub as to whether to buy a new bass or upgrade, the decision from the now obligatory phone vote is in....

It's an upgrade. New bridge, wiring, and pups. Will post some pics when I've finished.

In reality probably not the sensible financial decision, but hey, I like the bass :)

• 4 weeks later...

It's done and was tested at practice tonight.

What a difference! A new Wilkinson type bridge, SD vintage style PJ pups, rewired to VVT (was VBT), new jack socket and some new flat wound D'Addario strings. Will post some pics shortly :)