Why become a member? ×

Hipshot Bass Xtender / D-Tuner owners

xilddx

I just got a Hipshot Gotoh GB-7 and I have yet to install it.

The instructions mention using Lithium Grease. Do I really need it? Is there an alternative if I do?

Are there any common instalation problems? This will be going on my Warwick Corvette.

Cheers all,
Nigel

[quote name='johnnylager' post='860832' date='Jun 8 2010, 11:42 AM']Use Vaseline.[/quote]
Thanks mate, that's what I was thinking. I use vaseline on old fishing reels and it's perfectly fine.

BTW, I got mine from the States on ebay and paid £40, no duty paid either. Bit of a bargain do you think?

[url="http://stores.ebay.co.uk/HDCustom-Guitar-Supply__W0QQ_sacatZhdcustomguitarsupplyQQ_sidZ125392899?_nkw=hipshot+Bass+extender&submit=Search"]http://stores.ebay.co.uk/HDCustom-Guitar-S...p;submit=Search[/url]

Edited by silddx

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='860933' date='Jun 8 2010, 01:05 PM']I honestly didn't see that 'til now. :)[/quote]

Neither did I. I shall have to '[i]Service'[/i] my Hipshots in the same manner!!

[quote name='silddx' post='860929' date='Jun 8 2010, 01:02 PM']Thanks for your help, guys. Cheers.[/quote]
Smut aside (for once in my life), if you have nut-related tuning issues with the Xtender, follow Dave's sage advice:

Tune the E-string slightly flat, flick down then up again, and you're set.

Also, this feels strangely appropriate to this thread:

Silddx,

Oddly I just bought a load of kit from HD and they were spot on! Included in that were 3 D-tuners that are all now fitted.

I had to strip mine and put the correct design key in as I wanted to keep the PRS ears in them (dead easy to do) and I did rebuild mine with Lithium greas but onlybecause I have it. Vaseline will work just as well but only use tiny amounts and it will befine....

Enjoy, these are great bits of kit!

[quote name='The Burpster' post='862399' date='Jun 9 2010, 05:41 PM']Silddx,

Oddly I just bought a load of kit from HD and they were spot on! Included in that were 3 D-tuners that are all now fitted.

I had to strip mine and put the correct design key in as I wanted to keep the PRS ears in them (dead easy to do) and I did rebuild mine with Lithium greas but onlybecause I have it. Vaseline will work just as well but only use tiny amounts and it will befine....

Enjoy, these are great bits of kit![/quote]
Brilliant, thanks for this.

I fitted it last night and I'll properly install it tomorrow. Really looking forward to it, it will make my life on stage much easier.

Cheers.

[quote name='silddx' post='867028' date='Jun 14 2010, 02:07 PM']It's on! It's wickid!

Thanks for your help, guys.[/quote]

Excellent.
They're fantastic!
Hipshot are pretty good customer service-wise. After about 10 or 11 years the D-Tuner on my Aria had worn badly, the contact point on the leave had worn down by about 5mm. I emailed Hipshot and asked how much a new lever was. They just said to supply my address and they'd pop a new one in the post to me for nothing.
It arrived within a few days too.

I love Hipshot for tuners, put them on anything I can.
As with the D-tuner, it's amazing it works so well. If you find it doesn't quite go back to E from D, and they usually do, jus give the string a little tug away from the fingerboard when you put it back in, but if your strings are well stretched, shouldnt be a problem.