Why become a member? ×

Aguilar Gs112 / Markbass F500

Pkomor

Does anyone here have an aguilar GS112, Do you find that the tweeter on your Gs112 makes a very slight (very quiet) electronicy sounding whistly hiss? (That makes it sound worse than it is!) Its not really bothering me, but I want to make sure its not a dodgy cab! You can only hear it when the tweeter is on (regardless of settings on the amp..)

Edit: see further down!

Edited by Pkomor

Hi!

What do you mean by hiss? There is a certain 'noise' with nearly all tweeters, especially if you run your treble high and have the tweet on full.

My DB212 makes a VERY slight noise near the tweet but you have to really listen for it. Thats with a very similar LM3. Usually I have tweeters on max 1/3...or off.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='856535' date='Jun 3 2010, 08:41 PM']Hi!

What do you mean by hiss? There is a certain 'noise' with nearly all tweeters, especially if you run your treble high and have the tweet on full.

My DB212 makes a VERY slight noise near the tweet but you have to really listen for it. Thats with a very similar LM3. Usually I have tweeters on max 1/3...or off.[/quote]

The noise is the same whether the treble is up/down or the amp is muted/on full. The his almost has a pitch to it (but not really!) Its only very slight, only noticeable at quiet practice levels... If its normal im not bothered at all!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='856606' date='Jun 3 2010, 09:58 PM']Hmm

Its a Ray with an F500?

Do you have you mids/highs boosted a lot on your bass?[/quote]

I dont, but I mean that even with no bass plugged in or the volume turned right down on the amp there seems to be an inherent hiss through the tweeter. I might be making too much of it!

[quote name='Pkomor' post='856666' date='Jun 3 2010, 10:59 PM']I dont, but I mean that even with no bass plugged in or the volume turned right down on the amp there seems to be an inherent hiss through the tweeter. I might be making too much of it![/quote]

Ah, I see.

Hmm, I know JTUK and plenty of other Basschatters have these cabs. they will chime in soon and help I reckon.

Its probably nothing, but best to always check :)

Tweeters don't hiss, amplifiers do. What you are probably hearing is just the power amplifier of the F500 idle. It's nothing to worry about and completely normal. ALL amplifiers hiss to an extent and what you are hearing is just being picked up by Aguilar's sensitive tweeter. If you are hearing a noise that is more than *just* hiss, then it might be worth checking the amplifier out, at least with another cab with a tweeter in to see if that does the same. You shouldn't hear whines and whistles if you have nothing connected to the amplifier and all the controls at zero.

I run quite a high end sound and the tweeters are on maybe a third of the way up. I would expect some hiss here but probably from the bass first.
If you can't get rid of it, either the attentuator is broken but you'd know that, surely or not something on the cab.

I find the horns quite sweet and not as hissy as, say, SWR/Fostex, but then nobody uses them anyway near halfway surely..which is where is really begins to make a noise.

So, don't think it is the cab...something else in the chain..?

Ive not had time to recordings yet, but there is an interesting new development.
The amp makes a noise when turning off, its only done it twice, but it doesnt sound right!
The noise is like a drop falling into a glass of water, kind of an upwards whistle! (completely different to the whistley hiss!) Any ideas? Do you think i should send it back?

Edit:
I've just noticed that it only makes this noise if you turn it off soon after turning it on. If you leave it 30 secs before turning it off again its just a small click.
Can any other F500 (or F1) owners see if theirs does it too?

Edited by Pkomor

The digital amps of the modern day can make quite a funny 'zip' noise when turned off. The TC RH450 does this. Its sounds futuristic; I like it.

I tried another RH450 and it was exactly the same.

Im pretty sure that virtually all digital amps make a whoosh or zip when then are turned on/off. It may also be your fan powering up or down.

Ah...right. Hmm.

Ive not got a digital MB amp, but Ive got the TC.

The sound of the RH doesnt go through the cab; its just the actual unit itself I believe.

Im pretty sure any F1/F500 owner would be able to sort this out.

Put a topic on talkbass....someone over there will answer really quickly :)

Yes, my F1 hissed exactly the same. It is the head - but you will find that some tweeters are able to reproduce those upper frequencies that hiss appears most prominent in better than others, hence why it was more obvious with the Aggie cabs. Their tweeters are very clear sounding.