Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ken Smith BSR5J - value / opinions

eubassix

Not sure if this is 'proper' so will understand if it is moved or removed...
Been offered (via ebay NOT BC) a Ken Smith BSR 5J against my Celinder 6 (which was previously listed on ebay).
I've been thought a fair number of instruments (!) but really don't know the KS's at all: they were available in Singapore, but only the Burner series .. and I wasn't impressed.
This seems to be the 'budget' USA-made model, with a street price (new) of around $3500 - but no idea what sort of value they hold here; the bass seems goood overall, but there's obvious wear above the neck-pickup and a more serious repair to the headstock edge (lower) below the 'B' Tuner.
Any comments on the bass and/or 'value' would be great (here or via PM)

The BSRJ was Ken's first attempt at a less bling and J bass version of his US-made basses. They are very well made, as are all of Ken's US basses, have a good core tone and maintain the Smith reputation. They don't sound like his basses that have the soapbars in them, but you wouldn't expect them too.

As to a price, personally, given their bolt on nature and simpler woods etc, I would say something less than £2k tops for a mint condition one.

Hope that helps

Gareth

[quote name='walbassist' post='856749' date='Jun 4 2010, 12:54 AM']The BSRJ was Ken's first attempt at a less bling and J bass version of his US-made basses. They are very well made, as are all of Ken's US basses, have a good core tone and maintain the Smith reputation. They don't sound like his basses that have the soapbars in them, but you wouldn't expect them too.
As to a price, personally, given their bolt on nature and simpler woods etc, I would say something less than £2k tops for a mint condition one.
Hope that helps
Gareth[/quote]

.. thanks Gareth; most helpful. I'll also drop Gwil' a PM. Cheers !!

hi David, here are my thoughts....

[quote name='eubassix' post='856321' date='Jun 3 2010, 05:30 PM']This seems to be the 'budget' USA-made model, with a street price (new) of around $3500 - but no idea what sort of value they hold here; the bass seems goood overall, but there's obvious wear above the neck-pickup and a more serious repair to the headstock edge (lower) below the 'B' Tuner.[/quote]

It looks like the current street price is $3850 (according to the horse's mouth: [url="http://www.kensmithbasses.com/models/bsrj/bsrj.html)"]http://www.kensmithbasses.com/models/bsrj/bsrj.html)[/url], so cerainly not a budget bass :)

[quote name='walbassist' post='856749' date='Jun 4 2010, 12:54 AM']The BSRJ was Ken's first attempt at a less bling and J bass version of his US-made basses. They are very well made, as are all of Ken's US basses, have a good core tone and maintain the Smith reputation. They don't sound like his basses that have the soapbars in them, but you wouldn't expect them too.

As to a price, personally, given their bolt on nature and simpler woods etc, I would say something less than £2k tops for a mint condition one.[/quote]

Price wise it's a little difficult to judge as they don't come up for sale that often, but [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=658437"]this one did just sell for $1700[/url] (a very good price IMO) on TB, so around £1500 (factoring shipping + vat and duty into the UK). I certainly wouldn't sell mine (which I decided to keep) for any less than that (and it's certainly not in mint condition, but does come with the original Smith case and case candy - wax, Smith leather strap etc.).
Given the damage to the headstock, I'd be looking for a hefty discount, as it might be difficult to move the Smith on afterwards?

Regarding the bass itself, I really like it. Build quality is fantastic, and playability is awesome. The neck is quite slim and the string spacing at the bridge is 18mm (which is the standard on Smiths), so it's very comfortable to play, and there are no problems with the B string. In fact I haven't got a bad word to say about it - I decided to buy it within 2mins of playing it.

Regarding comparisons to other Smiths, I've played a three other Smith basses, all of which were a lot more exotic neck-thru models, and all with the Smith soapbar pickups.
Sound wise, the J model sounds different, but still has a Smith-like tone. I'd say it sounds a lot warmer than the others, but still with plenty of growl to the tone. I perfer my 5J to the others I've played - just a matter of taste though.

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=635413"]This one also recently sold on TB[/url] for a similar price to the one I mentioned above, but the positive comments from some other players seem to echo my experience with my Smith.

That's about as much as I have to say, so I'll just show you mine :rolleyes:

Cheers
G

[url="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v722/Gwilym/Basses/DSCN0548.jpg"][/url]

... Thanks Gwil' - all of that is extrenely helpful, including the links (!) Not sure if the trade will go thru, but it puts me into a much better bargaining position .... and I now know a great deal more about KS basses ! ...

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='858534' date='Jun 5 2010, 11:03 PM']Personally, I wouldn't pay more than 1200 quid for a used BSR-J. They're nice basses but there are many BSR models between it and the BSR-GN/EG models which top out at roughly 2000 quid used.[/quote]

While you are of course free to set yourself any budget you like, it doesn't mean you'd get one at that price, unless it was damaged or otherwise in poor condition - the one with the headstock damage above being a prime example.
You also seem to imply that it's the "bottom of the range" Smith, which I'd dispute. Yes it's simpler and less exotic and therefore reflected in the price, but a new one is still only around 15% "cheaper" than the BSR-GN/EG models that you mention.

[quote name='Gwilym' post='858814' date='Jun 6 2010, 11:39 AM']While you are of course free to set yourself any budget you like, it doesn't mean you'd get one at that price, unless it was damaged or otherwise in poor condition - the one with the headstock damage above being a prime example.
You also seem to imply that it's the "bottom of the range" Smith, which I'd dispute. Yes it's simpler and less exotic and therefore reflected in the price, but a new one is still only around 15% "cheaper" than the BSR-GN/EG models that you mention.[/quote]
er...I'm not implying anything. Any comments or opinions are always going to be subject to market forces.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='859435' date='Jun 6 2010, 11:20 PM']er...I'm not implying anything.[/quote]

really?

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='858534' date='Jun 5 2010, 11:03 PM']there are many BSR models between it and the BSR-GN/EG models[/quote]

I'm obviously reading into this too much then. Never mind.