Why become a member? ×

If I want rosewood + blocks on a Fender Jazz f/board...

thisnameistaken

The new US Deluxes?:
[url="http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0194580705"]http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0194580705[/url]

Depends if you want active though, I love passive Fenders, but they don't make great preamps.

Si

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='853155' date='Jun 1 2010, 12:15 AM']Cheers, hadn't seen those. Shame about the circuitry I was thinking passive, but I might see if I can find one and see how they sound, you never know.

Bit pricey though at £1200+, for a Fender...[/quote]

The US 75RI is also available with a rosewood fretboard, though they don't seem to be so common and of course are also pricey. There are older versions of the 75RI that sometimes pop up secondhand, last one I saw went for £800 on ebay and that was black with rosewood. There's also the old FMT or QMT deluxes which are great. There's one here but it's overpriced IMO:
[url="http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_guitars_detail.asp?stock=px-NE15RS37"]http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_guitars...ock=px-NE15RS37[/url]

B&B rosewood looks the absolute nuts!

Yeah, they will be pricey, but everyone is raving about the new Fender quality!
My '09 is fantastic

But yeah, you could always try one, and if you like the feel of it, just pull out the electronics in favour of a passive setup!

Si

Well the pricey-ness is part due to the active circuit.

The fender jaguar bass comes with block pearl inlays on a rosewood board.
But it has a two band active pre-amp, however when it's passive it sounds fantastic. The only thing that isn't "jazz" about it is the body shape, the neck is great on mine nice thin. It came setup with perfect intonation and stribg hieght as well.

[quote name='Sibob' post='853168' date='Jun 1 2010, 12:38 AM']But yeah, you could always try one, and if you like the feel of it, just pull out the electronics in favour of a passive setup![/quote]

Unfortunately it's got four controls and the jack socket in the side though, so I'd end up with a plugged hole somewhere.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='853277' date='Jun 1 2010, 09:10 AM']How about this...? [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=89163&hl=Fender+Jazz"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...;hl=Fender+Jazz[/url][/quote]

I think that's really pretty and it's the sort of thing I would be looking at but I don't think I'd buy another Fender without trying it first, the quality has always been very variable IME.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='853343' date='Jun 1 2010, 10:05 AM']Unfortunately it's got four controls and the jack socket in the side though, so I'd end up with a plugged hole somewhere.[/quote]

or could wire it so each pickup had it's own volume and tone knob?

But that MIM jazz looks ace.

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='853495' date='Jun 1 2010, 12:32 PM']I don't think the jag neck is bound[/quote]

I could probably live with that.

Actually why am I thinking of buying two basses just for a blocked board? Stupid, stupid...

I should just buy any old Jazz and get some dude to put blocks on it for me.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='853519' date='Jun 1 2010, 01:03 PM']I could probably live with that.

Actually why am I thinking of buying two basses just for a blocked board? Stupid, stupid...

I should just buy any old Jazz and get some dude to put blocks on it for me.[/quote]

Or even get a Jazz you really like and sod the blocks. It's only decoration, after all :)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='853960' date='Jun 1 2010, 06:58 PM']Or even get a Jazz you really like and sod the blocks. It's only decoration, after all :)[/quote]

I reckon if the species of facing wood on a bass supposedly changes the sound, or a maple fretboard sounds different to a rosewood fretboard, then block inlays definitely make a difference and I'm doing it for the tone. :rolleyes:

whatever you decide on it's a bloody nice choice. :)

I've used reliable fender, I think its STRATOsphere or something very similar from ebay. great place to shop although you will get stung on excise on delivery.

But ... some fantastic Jap reissue stuff and the only place to reliably source it as far as I know.

Edited by Mr Fudge

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='854376' date='Jun 2 2010, 12:52 AM']I reckon if the species of facing wood on a bass supposedly changes the sound, or a maple fretboard sounds different to a rosewood fretboard, then block inlays definitely make a difference and I'm doing it for the tone. :)[/quote]

This is actually true. The high resonant frequency of the stiff pearloid brings out high harmonic overtones more clearly. But binding helps to transmit more of the neck resonance at the headstock down to the heel and into the body of guitar, giving a richer mid-range with more 'growl' and 'grind' - you wouldn't want to miss out on that!
And that's the real reason why a blocked and bound neck is so damn funky

:rolleyes:

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='854908' date='Jun 2 2010, 02:37 PM']This is actually true. The high resonant frequency of the stiff pearloid brings out high harmonic overtones more clearly. But binding helps to transmit more of the neck resonance at the headstock down to the heel and into the body of guitar, giving a richer mid-range with more 'growl' and 'grind' - you wouldn't want to miss out on that![/quote]

Wow can't wait. I was hoping for a "piano-like" sound at first but I've now heard you only get that if your bass is made in a shed by a geezer with long hair and a dirty sweatshirt.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='855020' date='Jun 2 2010, 04:06 PM']Wow can't wait. I was hoping for a "piano-like" sound at first but I've now heard you only get that if your bass is made in a shed by a geezer with long hair and a dirty sweatshirt.[/quote]

:)

No you get that with LEDs.
Funny all these bassists who lust after the sound of the piano...after all playing one note at a time is pretty easy to learn on a keyboard

The US '75 reissue has neck binding that covers the fret ends. Pure quality. I have no doubt that the Jap versions are top class too (I've only payed two, and they were both good) but the US version just seems slightly more classy all round. You pays yer money and makes yer choice.

I have a US '75 reissue with the rosewood neck which is lovely to look at but the feel of the neck is the really outstanding feature of this bass - apart from the sound which I'm loving. Only fault is that the E string is slightly too loud compared to the others. I must try to sort this out when I get the time. An easy fix I think?

They're not cheap, but once the money's spent, it's spent but the enjoyment lasts forever.

Frank.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='853465' date='Jun 1 2010, 11:59 AM']Yeah I had thought about putting a Jag neck on a Jazz too but I've never tried a Jag, are the necks the same profile?[/quote]

the neck is indeed a jazz neck, although mine feels a little thinner than the mighty mite one on my parts-a-jazz.