Why become a member? ×

Nearly-new 2009/10 Gibson Thunderbird

Clarky

Due to recent spends (Nash Jazz), inability to sell my 76 fretless P-bass and - frankly - me not getting on with the skinny Jazz-type neck I am putting up FS my 2009/10 Gibson Thunderbird in vintage sunburst. I had always hankered after one, from being a UFO fan in the 70s, but its just not for me. Bit gutting really, after 30 or so years of lust!

I only got this 2-3 weeks ago from Old Horse Murphy (who bought it new 2 weeks before that!) and have since spent £65 on buying a thick padded Warwick Premium Rockbag (they are hard to find in Thunderbird shape!) and a truss rod adjustment tool. By the way, the reason for the Rockbag is the hard case is very heavy and unwieldy and I figured the gigbag would make this bass infinitely more gig-friendly. The bass weighs 9 lbs, so its relatively light (I had always assumed they weighed a ton due to mahogany body).

FS at £900 including postage and both cases, soft and hard - compares with new price £1,099 and about £1,164 adding on accessories. It is absolutely mint bar one small 'graze' on the upper edge (which may have been there when I got it and which would almost certainly polish out). The tags say it was made in Nov'09.

Given bulkiness and weight would prefer collection or meet-up - would drop £20 off asking price for this.

[attachment=51058:TB1.jpg][attachment=51059:TB2.jpg]

Edited by Clarky

Would also be prepared to sell the bass in its hard case but without the gigbag for £860 posted. However, if you intend to gig this I would recommend buying the gigbag just because the hard case is so heavy and unwieldy. Unless you are like The Incredible Hulk, I reckon you would end up buying a gigbag anyway!

Edited by Clarky

What an absolute steal! That is such a good bargain price for a cracking bass and with a gig bag on top of the hardcase too.

One T'bird is enough for me and I gigged mine this weekend and loved it (I've been very P bass centric recently). Big sound and it looks sooooo RAAAAWK!!!

Someone buy it, an awesome deal!!

Up from 3rd page type bump

[s]MUCH prefer cash (due to recent expenditure) but would consider trade against Rick 4001/3 in Fireglo[/s] Scrub this, cash only please!

Edited by Clarky

Weeks old for a big saving (more than £200) on new. RAWWWKKKKK machine par excellence (as long as you like Jazz-type necks, that is)

Not just rock though - ska credibility too as Horace from The Specials plays one now:

[attachment=51419:2tone_gi..._457x470.jpg][attachment=51420:horace_p...ls_pa774.jpg]

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' post='857973' date='Jun 5 2010, 09:30 AM']Weeks old for a big saving (more than £200) on new. RAWWWKKKKK machine par excellence (as long as you like Jazz-type necks, that is)

Not just rock though - ska credibility too as Horace from The Specials plays one now:

[attachment=51419:2tone_gi..._457x470.jpg][attachment=51420:horace_p...ls_pa774.jpg][/quote]

Just when I thought I was over this, you put the Horace pics up...

[quote name='tredders' post='858381' date='Jun 5 2010, 06:33 PM']Just when I thought I was over this, you put the Horace pics up...[/quote]
YOU WANT THIS BASS TREDDERS YOU WANT THIS BASS TREDDERS YOU WANT THIS BASS TREDDERS YOU WANT THIS BASS TREDDERS YOU WANT THIS BASS TREDDERS YOU WANT THIS BASS TREDDERS YOU WANT THIS BASS TREDDERS YOU WANT THIS BASS TREDDERS YOU WANT THIS BASS TREDDERS YOU WANT THIS BASS TREDDERS YOU WANT THIS BASS TREDDERS YOU WANT THIS BASS TREDDERS

As there seems to be no cash buyers, I would entertain trade ideas (with appropriate cash adjustment either way) against quality 5-stringers - be they Fender, super-Fender or (preferably) Alembic. I am a bit picky in what I like so please don't be offended if I say no!

Hi Clarky.
This is one sweet looking bass
Have a pair of ebony Thunderbird Studios already (IV & V) and love em.

Don´t suppose you´d fancy a trade for the 94 Ray im selling [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=90309&pid=861031&st=0&#entry861031"]here[/url]

[quote name='Clarky' post='853215' date='Jun 1 2010, 07:36 AM']Unless you are like The Incredible Hulk, I reckon you would end up buying a gigbag anyway![/quote]

Come on Clarky it's not that heavy, I managed to take both of mine to my last gig.

Btw I'm sure it was either you or Beedster I asked to buy a T-Bird last year so I could buy it on from you.....can't find the post though :)

Have a T-Bird bump from me.

[quote name='farmer61' post='861067' date='Jun 8 2010, 02:57 PM']Come on Clarky it's not that heavy, I managed to take both of mine to my last gig.[/quote]
You are obviously more buff than overweight, out of shape, grey-haired 40-something old me :) :rolleyes:

[quote name='Clarky' post='861091' date='Jun 8 2010, 03:24 PM']You are obviously more buff than overweight, out of shape, grey-haired 40-something old me :) :rolleyes:[/quote]

Rubbish, I'm a clinically obese (according to Mrs F61), no haired nearly 50 something, you're a spring chicken compared to me!!

In case anyone missed this, I would entertain trade ideas (with appropriate cash adjustment either way) against quality 5-stringers - be they Fender, super-Fender or (preferably) Alembic. Would even consider a trade against an Orange AD200B valve head. Or a decent 4-string PJ
I am a bit picky and traditionalist in what I like so please don't be offended if I say no!

Edited by Clarky

OK new prices (last ones or I just put in storage in its case in my study):

£840 including post but excluding the soft case - bargain for a virtually new Thunderbird.

The premium, thickly padded (and unused, bar one rehearsal) Thunderbird gigbag (£65 at Thomann) I would sell separately for £45 posted (although it might be tricky finding some kind of box to post it in)

If picked up, prices are £825 and £35 respectively, ie, £860 the pair.

Edited by Clarky