Why become a member? ×

What If There Was A Bass Agony Aunt?

Pete Academy

[quote name='EntropicLqd' post='853859' date='Jun 1 2010, 05:41 PM']Dear Bass Agony Aunt.

I appear to be completely incapable of learning any of the notes above the 7th fret on any string on my bass (except the 12th fret). I've been trying to overcome this proplem for a couple of years without success.

What can I do to stamp the knowledge I seek indelibly into my brain?

Yours,
Lost for notes.[/quote]
Dear Lost for Notes,
Gaffa Tape. Over the whole fretboard up to the 7th fret.

All the best,
Deidre

[i]Disclaimer: Bass Agony Aunt Ltd takes no responsibility for loss of tone, playability, Financial loss due to excessive duct tape use or any Insurance claims brought for damages caused by the advice given by Bass Agony Aunt.[/i]

Dear Bass Agony Aunt,

I keep getting the unshakeable feeling that my lower register floor shaking grooves are just not impressing the ladies as much as they should. I feel like they just don't understand my efforts to make their bodies move! What can I do to get the female attention I so rightly deserve?

Yours,
Unappreciated

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='853323' date='Jun 1 2010, 09:45 AM']Dear Bass Agony Aunt

Why, as a woman, do I have to prove myself as a competant musician more than my male counterparts, and why do people always presume I'l be either eyecandy or rubbish?

Please help.[/quote]

I'd love to be eyecandy... In my world I am but like Spinal Tap, the audience is getting much more selective! :)

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='853879' date='Jun 1 2010, 05:54 PM']Gaffa Tape. Over the whole fretboard up to the 7th fret.[/quote]
:rolleyes: - That would probably work thinking about it. Hmmm. Maybe I'll play everything above the 7th fret in practice sessions for the next 6 months.

It'll probably have the added bonus of really annoying the keyboard player & guitarist - Win! :)

Dear bass agony aunt,

the other half does not understand that the more gear i have, the more my willy will grow! how can i convince her of this fact, and simultaneously have more money for gear (as i am underpriveleged in the, ahem, gear department!)

yours, pinkie!

[quote name='rmshaw37' post='854245' date='Jun 1 2010, 10:13 PM']Dear bass agony aunt,

the other half does not understand that the more gear i have, the more my willy will grow! how can i convince her of this fact, and simultaneously have more money for gear (as i am underpriveleged in the, ahem, gear department!)

yours, pinkie![/quote]

Dear Pinkie,

Tell your other half she should reverse her analogy by thinking of all the clothes she has bought over the years - Did said dress buying activities not result in the expansion of her posterior?

Yours,

The Baby Eating Bishop of Barthum-Wells.

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='EntropicLqd' post='853859' date='Jun 1 2010, 05:41 PM']Dear Bass Agony Aunt.

I appear to be completely incapable of learning any of the notes above the 7th fret on any string on my bass (except the 12th fret). I've been trying to overcome this proplem for a couple of years without success.

What can I do to stamp the knowledge I seek indelibly into my brain?

Yours,
Lost for notes.[/quote]

Dear Bass Agony Aunt,

Please tell me this is NOT a problem? I was very much under the impression that any deviation towards the dusty end put one into guitard territory and was therefore to be avoided at all costs :)

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='852806' date='May 31 2010, 06:24 PM']Dear Bass Agony Aunt

I've been playing for some years in a covers bands, where we do a mixture of classic songs, mainly rock, pop and funk. Over the last few months I've found my playing getting busier and busier. It started with the odd finger pop and has now progressed to actual slapping in inappropriate numbers. I've been warned about this a few times by the other band members and am in danger of losing my place in the band.

Please help.[/quote]

Dear Pete,

You have reached the level of playing ability where you are no longer content to merely plod on the root note. Get yourself some Level 42 records and start honing your chops, as you've ascended to a new tier of bassplaying.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='855092' date='Jun 2 2010, 04:56 PM']Dear Pete,

You have reached the level of playing ability where you are no longer content to merely plod on the root note. Get yourself some Level 42 records and start honing your chops, as you've decended to a new tier of bassplaying.[/quote]

Fixed

[quote name='OldGit' post='853331' date='Jun 1 2010, 09:51 AM']Dear Sarah,
You've managed to play one of thise great big guitar things? All by yourself?
Oh well done you!!
Now don't you worry your pretty little head about it.
Yours Aggie

:) :rolleyes: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Dear Bass Agony Aunt,
Why,at the end of a gig,is it only myself and the drummer who actually pack the gear away?I'd quite like to talk to friends/fans/promoters/reviewers like the rest of them.
Is it my hideous physical appearance?Or my almost legendary lack of any form of charisma?
Please help.
Yours,Ugly Charmless Ba**ard.

[quote name='HMX' post='857716' date='Jun 4 2010, 09:34 PM']Dear Bass Agony Aunt,

My hands profusely sweat whilst playing bass in summer. What can I do about this? Or is it natural lubricant for a fast neck? :)

Carl[/quote]

Dear Carl,
Ask your band's gig booker to add "large cooler fridge with glass front (empty)" to your bands rider for all gigs in the summer.
That will help and for once the bass player will be cool as anything.
You may need a longer lead.
Your's
Aggie

[quote name='HMX' post='857716' date='Jun 4 2010, 09:34 PM']Dear Bass Agony Aunt,

My hands profusely sweat whilst playing bass in summer. What can I do about this? Or is it natural lubricant for a fast neck? :rolleyes:

Carl[/quote]

Dear Carl

You may find this thread 'ere of some help :)
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=90264&st=0"]Gloves[/url]

Edited by Marvin