Why become a member? ×

Any company make necks to my spec?

Linus27

Continuing on my search for a fretless, I know that my ESP Jazz, which is the best sounding Jazz I have heard, would sound amazing fretless. However, I really don't want to get it de-fretted as its super rare and has sentimental value to me. So, is it possible to have someone make me a neck, exactly the same as my ESP but lined fretless? That way, I can swap necks back and forth between the original ESP fretted neck and the newly made fretless neck.

Any place that can do this?

Depends if you want a matching headstock shape and neck profile. If not, an aftermarket Fender style neck might fit (Warmoth, etc) though you'll have to check the measurements. If you want something identical, your best bet would be to speak to a luthier in the UK who should be able to copy the current neck. Jon Shuker might be a good first bet, though I'm not sure if he still does necks to order (he has in the past, I guess it will depend on his workload).

[b]Edit:[/b] Just seen your ESP is 21-fret, which might make a stock aftermarket neck tricky as they tend to be 20-fret.

Edited by ~tl

[quote name='~tl' post='849821' date='May 27 2010, 09:23 PM']Depends if you want a matching headstock shape and neck profile. If not, an aftermarket Fender style neck might fit (Warmoth, etc) though you'll have to check the measurements. If you want something identical, your best bet would be to speak to a luthier in the UK who should be able to copy the current neck. Jon Shuker might be a good first bet, though I'm not sure if he still does necks to order (he has in the past, I guess it will depend on his workload).[/quote]

I tried a Fender neck but I'm afraid it does not fit the pocket :) I would prefer also a matching headstock and profile or as close as.

Where did you find out my ESP is 21 fret. That was a bit of quick investigation work. Even I did not know that :rolleyes:

Edited by Linus27

Sims will scan your neck and use as a template for a new neck.

They do this for vintage intruments that have been worn in and the user gets an old comfy neck typically newly built.

They were telling me they did this for quite a few clients who have unserviceable vintage basses.

• 1 month later...

I have spoken to Sims and they can do this for me. It will cost £290 unlaquered which is a copy of my neck including skunk stripe but with an Ebony board which they say is better for fretless. If I want it lacquered then it will cost an extra £120. Not sure to go lacquered or unlaquered. Plus endecided if its worth going for as for the same money I could buy secondhand a fretless Warwick Corvette or CIJ fretless Jazz.

Edited by Linus27

[quote name='Linus27' post='894771' date='Jul 14 2010, 03:18 PM']I have spoken to Sims and they can do this for me. It will cost £290 unlaquered which is a copy of my neck including skunk stripe but with an Ebony board which they say is better for fretless. If I want it lacquered then it will cost an extra £120. Not sure to go lacquered or unlaquered. Plus endecided if its worth going for as for the same money I could buy secondhand a fretless Warwick Corvette or CIJ fretless Jazz.[/quote]

+1 on the Warwick Corvette.

£400 or so for a neck is expensive plus every time you change you'll probably need to do a set-up job, particularly if you switch between rounds and flats as the tensions are totally different.

The only thing about the Warwick is that the necks are unlined as standard and I think they only offered lined as an option so there aren't really many kicking around. Fab basses though!!!

[quote name='absolutpepper' post='894777' date='Jul 14 2010, 03:24 PM']+1 on the Warwick Corvette.

£400 or so for a neck is expensive plus every time you change you'll probably need to do a set-up job, particularly if you switch between rounds and flats as the tensions are totally different.

The only thing about the Warwick is that the necks are unlined as standard and I think they only offered lined as an option so there aren't really many kicking around. Fab basses though!!![/quote]

Chances are, it won't be changed that often or at all. I just did not want to de-fret the original neck as its very rare. Plus I would be using rounds on fretted or fretless. However, £400 as you say is expensive but may be worth doing as the original neck is a little warped.

Unlined is fine with me. Just impossible to find a standard fretless one. Would prefer Bubinga but still trying to find one is impossible.

Edited by Linus27

[quote name='Linus27' post='894781' date='Jul 14 2010, 03:28 PM']Chances are, it won't be changed that often or at all. I just did not want to de-fret the original neck as its very rare. Plus I would be using rounds on fretted or fretless. However, £400 as you say is expensive but may be worth doing as the original neck is a little warped.

Unlined is fine with me. Just impossible to find a standard fretless one. Would prefer Bubinga but still trying to find one is impossible.[/quote]

Well I dont have any experience of the ESPs but I have a Warwick Corvette Standard 4 in Bubinga and have to say its a fantastic bit of kit. You could do a lot worse than a fretless one of those. In saying that you should probably make sure its an ebony neck model if you find one, 'cause if you are using rounds then they'll rip up some of the softer wooded necks.

[quote name='absolutpepper' post='894800' date='Jul 14 2010, 03:46 PM']Well I dont have any experience of the ESPs but I have a Warwick Corvette Standard 4 in Bubinga and have to say its a fantastic bit of kit. You could do a lot worse than a fretless one of those. In saying that you should probably make sure its an ebony neck model if you find one, 'cause if you are using rounds then they'll rip up some of the softer wooded necks.[/quote]

Thanks for the advice. So you don't want to sell me yours then :) :rolleyes: