Why become a member? ×

Amp without speakers connected, is that ok?

davidmpires

Hi all

I'm thinking about setting up a permanent space for me to practice and improve on my skills and initially was thinking about using my Warwick Blue Cab Combo but then I thought i could use my Mark Bass F1, what I want to do is to use the amp to send the signal via DI to my H4 that's being used as an audio interface, would this be ok, use an amp without having any speakers plugged in?

Thanks in advance

[quote name='davidmpires' post='849297' date='May 27 2010, 11:59 AM']Hi all

I'm thinking about setting up a permanent space for me to practice and improve on my skills and initially was thinking about using my Warwick Blue Cab Combo but then I thought i could use my Mark Bass F1, what I want to do is to use the amp to send the signal via DI to my H4 that's being used as an audio interface, would this be ok, use an amp without having any speakers plugged in?

Thanks in advance[/quote]

Solid state amps i.e. amps with a solid state power amp and or a solid state / valve preamp will be fine. Only amps that have a valve power amp i.e. Trace Elliot V8, Ashdown 427 big block, need a speaker load when they are on. So you will be ok

D

[quote name='dan670844' post='849306' date='May 27 2010, 12:08 PM']Solid state amps i.e. amps with a solid state power amp and or a solid state / valve preamp will be fine. Only amps that have a valve power amp i.e. Trace Elliot V8, Ashdown 427 big block, need a speaker load when they are on. So you will be ok

D[/quote]

Generally true, but more true to say amplifiers with an output transformer need to have a load on them, as some solid state amps do have an output transformer (weird ones generally). Also, there are some output transformerless valve amps, which might not need a load, but I am not sure.

[quote name='TimR' post='850074' date='May 28 2010, 09:22 AM']David,

why do you want to use an amp? You can plug your bass into the H4 directly. The H4 has amp simulation which is quite good if that's what you want.[/quote]

Hi Tim

Because I want to use my F1 more while i'm bandless and try some settings. But I might try your suggestion and connect the jamman to the H4 and to the pc.

I'm experimenting at the moment really.

[quote name='davidmpires' post='850094' date='May 28 2010, 09:45 AM']Hi Tim

Because I want to use my F1 more while i'm bandless and try some settings. But I might try your suggestion and connect the jamman to the H4 and to the pc.

I'm experimenting at the moment really.[/quote]

If I remember correctly, when using my MarkBass combo to record, I took a line from the DI out socket to the desk. This is before the main volume in the signal chain, so I could use the gain control to set the DI out level, and have the main volume at zero, hence no sound from the speaker, and no driving the power amp with no output load. Don't know if the F1 works the same way.

Edited by Earbrass

[quote name='Earbrass' post='850141' date='May 28 2010, 10:21 AM']If I remember correctly, when using my MarkBass combo to record, I took a line from the DI out socket to the desk. This is before the main volume in the signal chain, so I could use the gain control to set the DI out level, and have the main volume at zero, hence no sound from the speaker, and no driving the power amp with no output load. Don't know if the F1 works the same way.[/quote]

just as a reassurance I emailed Markbass and in less than 5 minutes I got this

[b]Hi David,

Firstly I'd like to thank you for contacting us and for choosing Markbass.

You can use the F1 amp as preamp without connect a cabinet, no problem.

Just for more safety we suggest to set the master level to zero (it's not necessary but better for the amp longevity).

Feel free to contact me for any further question.

Best Regards.[/b]