Why become a member? ×

TC Electronics RS210 - Any good?

DaveMuadDib

Hi folks!

I'm on the hunt for a new cab to replace my dying peavy 4x10, and I've always loved the markbass 2x10 STD (but it's ouchies expensive) and I like the look of the Hartke 4x10s, but I've been recommended the TC Electronics RS210. They look excellent for the money, but has anyone actually got any experience with them? I'm looking for something reasonably light, nice and loud (for my markbass little mark ii 500watts) and punchy.

Thanks guys!
Dave

[quote name='Dave_MuadDib' post='846695' date='May 24 2010, 05:43 PM']Hi folks!

I'm on the hunt for a new cab to replace my dying peavy 4x10, and I've always loved the markbass 2x10 STD (but it's ouchies expensive) and I like the look of the Hartke 4x10s, but I've been recommended the TC Electronics RS210. They look excellent for the money, but has anyone actually got any experience with them? I'm looking for something reasonably light, nice and loud (for my markbass little mark ii 500watts) and punchy.

Thanks guys!
Dave[/quote]

The TC cabs would be a very nice upgrade from the Peavey.

Id describe them as tight, and punchy. The horn is nicely tamed with just the right amount of sweeter high end, (eg not brash and in your face).

Id recommend the latest versions with the new smooth black finish. Only problem is they have just gone up by £100 each!

They are easy to move and the covers are also a good price.

[quote name='Dave_MuadDib' post='846695' date='May 24 2010, 05:43 PM']Hi folks!

Thanks guys!
Dave[/quote]

I'm sure you'll plenty of response to this question.

I got one of these babies last year and they work really well, sound great and not heavy either. The newer finish is more robust I understand, I have the original finish which isn't very robust. Suggest you look at the covers as well seem good value for money.

Would have no hesitation on recommending one - the RS212 is a great piece of kit too!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='846746' date='May 24 2010, 06:47 PM']The TC cabs would be a very nice upgrade from the Peavey.

Id describe them as tight, and punchy. The horn is nicely tamed with just the right amount of sweeter high end, (eg not brash and in your face).

Id recommend the latest versions with the new smooth black finish. Only problem is they have just gone up by £100 each!

They are easy to move and the covers are also a good price.[/quote]

Thanks for the feedback dude! Sounds right up my alley. So you think the 2x10 would be a suitable replacement from the 4x10? It's a battered 15 year old peavey cab that was a gift at that, and it's the only cab i've ever owned! And potentially enough for backline-only?
-Dave

[quote name='Dave_MuadDib' post='846753' date='May 24 2010, 06:54 PM']Thanks for the feedback dude! Sounds right up my alley. So you think the 2x10 would be a suitable replacement from the 4x10? It's a battered 15 year old peavey cab that was a gift at that, and it's the only cab i've ever owned! And potentially enough for backline-only?
-Dave[/quote]

If you are getting just the one cab, the RS212 is probably a better option.

If you want a modular 4x10, then two RS210s would be spot on.

Vertically they sound massive due to the fact you can actually hear your notes correctly :)

Hi

i have one of those cool cabs and plus one for the cover

You can get more information on them here

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=88415"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=88415[/url]

and here

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=84235&hl=rs210"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=84235&hl=rs210[/url]

and this is a video of a guy that does a great comparasion

Ok guys, thanks for all the awesome advice, very much appreciated! Now, please be gentle on me, I'm very inexperienced! Please look upon everything I'm about to write bearing in mind that I've spent most of my life playing through either PA's, the other band's bassist's rigs, or a 120w laney combo :)

I'm leaning towards a 2x12/2x10 stack at the moment. In most situations I'm guessing I can probably get away with just the 2x12 or the 2x10. But if I need to go backline only, I can combine the two and this should do the trick and cut through like a knife through butter with my p*sstakingly loud 500w Little Mark II. My main questions are:

1) Amirite? Will the stack of these be enough to see me through most conceivable gigs? I'm working with the philosophy that if a venue requires more than this much power, they'll be a serious venue and have a PA anyway.
2) What's a better combination? 2x(2x10) or 2x12+2x10.

Thanks for your help guys, help a rig-newbie out!!

-Dave

That sounds fekkin lush!!! More so with the F1 IMHO. Also I like the fact that he spent five minutes talking about shifting this and that to emulate the sound of just turning the vpf on the f1 lol.
God I want one of those cabs now!! (and an active jazz, even though those days are behind me now heh heh!)

[quote name='gafbass02' post='846889' date='May 24 2010, 09:29 PM']That sounds fekkin lush!!! More so with the F1 IMHO. Also I like the fact that he spent five minutes talking about shifting this and that to emulate the sound of just turning the vpf on the f1 lol.[/quote]

That's what I do with mine. Oh yeah baby it sounds good. And I don't have a Coppolo

a stack with either 2x10 or 2x12 or mixed will be plenty to cut through all your gigs, now what you need to decide is what you need from a cab, the 2x12 are boomier than the 2x10 so you really need to think what you are looking for. And also due to the placement of the cabs tall as opposed to sideways you will find that you will need less volume than what you currently using as both cabs work great off axis.

I brought the 212 with the thought id get a 210 after, but i am perfectly happy with just the 212

I have to angle it slightly upwards

I've heard it played by the band that went before us in a small club (120 people) from the crowd, the sound was solid with punch,

I am very pleased with the whole TC setup, valve tone is fantastic

[quote name='Musicman20' post='846902' date='May 24 2010, 09:41 PM']If you like the more warm chewy mids, and like to 'feel' some bass behind you, the 2x10 + 2x12 works very well.

The 2x10 x 2 is more of a punchy tone machine.[/quote]

Just noticed you did go 2x210 and 212, have you gigged any combinations? really keen to know

I've got by with just the 212 so far, be nice to have something closer to my ear, but on its own it certainly gives enough out

Edited by lojo

[quote name='lojo' post='848147' date='May 26 2010, 07:27 AM']Just noticed you did go 2x210 and 212, have you gigged any combinations? really keen to know

I've got by with just the 212 so far, be nice to have something closer to my ear, but on its own it certainly gives enough out[/quote]

I think the RS212+210 is a nice compliment. TC did a good job making these cabs work together. The 10s give you the punch and a little more clarity, whereas the 12s give you the nice low mids and extra warmth to the low end. I think if you have an RS212 id personally get an RS210...the RS210s do work nicely together though. Two RS210s is more like a punchy tight slightly aggressive setup. The RS212 gives you that nice think middy tone that ive grown accustomed to really like.

[quote name='gafbass02' post='848159' date='May 26 2010, 08:01 AM']Does anyone know how these compare to my markbass 102p/102std hf cabs?[/quote]

Hmm, I have never tested MB cabs at a gig. I have a neutral view on them, and I would consider them down the line for future purchases. But, I definitely think the tone of these will be quite different. From the review on the internet, im guessing the RS cabinets are more natural and have a little vintage character, yet are still articulate. The RS cabinets do sound VERY loud and perhaps they are designed to be that way.

I think what would sway me to the RS cabs is the tweeters they have; the RS cabs have a very subtle and sweet high end, nothing pingy or harsh that Ive found even on Berg cabinets. Its smooth, sweet and compliments that more vintage-meets-modern design.

Towered up they sound fantastic, I must admit. They also weigh hardly anything for ceramic speakers.

Thanks for all your advices guys! I think it's settled - these cabs rule and are exactly what I'm looking for. So if anyone is selling a RS212, please PM me! I had my finger hovering over the button on GAK yesterday, but decided it's better to wait at least a couple of weeks until I've paid off my debts first - unless one of you folks can sway me in the meantime ;-)

*CLOSED* - Bought one :)

Edited by Dave_MuadDib