Why become a member? ×

Wal Pro11 Passive 3T burst

v8bass

another of the stable to hit the BC For Sale Column ...

[b]On HOLD PENDING >>>>>>>>[/b]

Q. Why am I even thinking of selling ! ?

A. Because I want another Wal ! ....simples ...

A very early Pro 11 passive ( very early serial no ) In 3T burst with lovely patina and IMHO a very special bass and my main playing 4 string bass

Totally original as far as i can see and tell with wear and tear commensurate with age ( bought from the original owner )

There is some crazing and lacquer checking andyes there are a few knocks and marks here and there including belt buckle etc but nothing to take away from the beautiful looks and playability , add to that collectibilty and rarity too

Set up for a medium low action wearing 35 - 95 roundwounds but also sounds incredible with flats

Weighing in at 10 and a half pounds with a 43 mm nut and a 19 mm spacing at the bridge

Ash body seems to be 2 piece and the neck is the 10 piece graphite reinforced Laminate of Hornbeam Maple and Mukalungu with a fretboard fingerboard touchboard of rosewood

All electronics work perfectly ( original Radiohms and caps ) although I havent checked the DI output recently ( will confirm later ) and believe it was checked over a few years ago and prounounced good to go by Pete Stevens

Tonally amazing for a passive bass

A few specs here ....http://www.trevorandthea.eclipse.co.uk/specs1.html ....and gratitude for the links and info via that site that helped me make up my mind about buying this one ..

A few pics to whet the whistle ..

[attachment=50103:PICT0201.JPG] [attachment=50104:PICT0202.JPG]

[attachment=50105:PICT0203.JPG] [attachment=50106:PICT0204.JPG]

[attachment=50107:PICT0205.JPG] [attachment=50108:PICT0206.JPG]

Will come with a huge CP Rainbow semi flightcase ,custom shaped foam insert for the bass not the original brown broken handle non locking catches type

As this may be pulled when i come to my senses ..or find enough change down the back of the settee ..

The price including delivery is £1550 ( fairly strong money I agree but offers will of course be considered )

Any more pics and info can be supplied to any interested party and test drives a pleasure

Regards

Gary
v8

ON HOLD PENDING .........

Edited by v8bass

No - the Pro basses were I or Ie ( I think) and II and IIe depending on number of pick-ups and active or not. I think they shared the same scratchplate so the battery cover was there either way. My Pro I was passive but had the battery cover.

This sold while i was scrabbling about trying to raise the money :)

BB

[quote name='Mokl' post='842931' date='May 20 2010, 11:19 AM']What a freakin bargain! Wish it were mine.[/quote]

Im a believer in pricing effectively within the BC community and can assure everyone the New Prospective owner is a true gent and scholar and worthy of the bass ..

Moki !

I remember your Jaydee Supernatural !!! gave me heartache as i was about 30 quid short at the time !!!!

That was The Bargain !!!!! lol

rubs chin ........Geddy Lee ..... Wal ....... hmmmm go on put it up again ! double dare ya !

Gary
V8

[quote name='overwater#1' post='843032' date='May 20 2010, 12:40 PM']Gary! Absolutely identical to my mates that I had! He ended up Ebaying it btw, and got quite a large figure!! :) Stunning bass, this one looks better than his! Lush![/quote]

Thanks Matt ! ( Hoping Kens Working Out ! )

The Ebay route has allways proved a pain for higher priced items for me , tyre kickers , hagglers etc ..

BC and BW before have allways proved to be the best most honest and succesful route of buying and selling .

There were at least a couple of Sunburst Pro 11 s kicking around for an age at more money ...

Glad your mate got a good deal btw ... I used that pricing as an indicative ..but had my own figure in mind also

Possibly an idea at some stage to hook up a buying guide and maybe a secondhand bass sticky for valuations and assessments , any thoughts ?

Thanks for many positive comments btw

Gary
v8

will close the thread shortly and not hog up the FS

[quote name='barend' post='843123' date='May 20 2010, 02:43 PM']A Wal ProII is passive and the Pro IIE is active but they look the same. But what is different on the ProIIE tonal wise? Do the knobs have different functions then the passive version?[/quote]

Pro I - one passive pickup, series/parallel switching

Pro II - two passive pickups, series/parallel switching

Pro IE - one active pickup, pick attack switch, low-mid boost switch

Pro IIE - two active pickups, pick attack switch, low-mid boost switch for neck pickup, upper-mid boost/bass cut switch

Controls: Master volume control (Pro II and Pro IIE), individual volume and tone controls for each pickup. Chrome hardware with optional XLR output, pickup selector switch (Pro II and Pro IIE).

[quote name='wombatboter' post='847702' date='May 25 2010, 06:11 PM']I was the one who send the first email when this bass appeared and the seller has been so kind to respect this.. Normally this bass is heading for Belgium this week (looking forward to it and thanks for the kind replies, Gary).[/quote]

Hey Geert,
did the Wal virus get you finally again :) I remember you saying it comes down to owning only one Wal in the end ...
tc

Recently a local bass-player (Claude, also here on BC) bought a similar Pro bass sunburst and he let me play it...Though it sounds a bit different than my MKI model the typical Wal-ingredients were still there and I liked the solid feel ànd the looks. When this one popped up it was too hard to resist.
Filip Moortgat, one of my favourite bass-players here in Belgium (and a big influence when I started playing bass) has also been playing a Pro Wal bass for more than 20 years and all these combined factors made me go on my knees again. Really pleased with this and looking forward to have one myself.

Met Gary this weekend in Belgium at the coast... He was kind enough to bring this bass along. Really nice person to have a long chat with about basses and life. The instrument itself turns out to be absolutely marvelous. I knew Pro-basses were good (I've owned mostly MK I Wal basses) but I didn't know they were this good. It brings out the best in me which is about all you want from an instrument (cheap or expensive). Thanks !