Why become a member? ×

Rickenbacker 4001CS Chris Squire Signature

Old Horse Murphy

Well, after a bit of a clean up, the bass is as good as new. It was built in 1999 (although I'm still waiting to confirm what number it is out of the 1000 made).

It sounds classic Rickenbacker and plays reall quickly due to the thin neck.

The fretboard has really unusual white flecks running through it (I'm not sure if its the same wood as the wings on the headstock; if it is, then its Vermilion.)

The horseshoe pickup looks amazing and the condition is excellent (a few tiny dings on the back and a mark on the upper and lower edge but I think you only notice them because the body is light coloured). The official colour is Cream Colorglo and the pickguard is clear plastic which has been painted on the back and had Chris Squire's signature too.

Unlike most modern Rickenbackers, there's only one input jack (a mono one) and there's no binding on either the body or neck.

It body size is a fair bit smaller than a normal 4001/4003. Whenever I used to see Chris Squire playing this bass in photos I used to think he was a giant with hands the size of plates! It's actually quite a small bass that tucks neatly under the arm (very comfortable).

Thanks for the kind words guys. It really is in very good nick and I still can't believe I found it where I did.

When I showed Alice last night, she actually said she liked it!! I don't think that gives me permission to keep it though.

I'd be very reluctant to use it in anger and gig it. I'm in 2 minds though. It's a beautiful instrument and has obviously been well looked after. BUT.......it is an instrument after all and I feel it should be treated as such. A bit of a dilemma (a nice one to have though).

At some stage I will probably move it on and let someone else decide what they want it for (I can't afford an expensive ornament like this).

At the moment though it's sitting nicely snuggled between my other basses, winking at me.

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='91967' date='Nov 21 2007, 07:42 AM']Well, after a bit of a clean up, the bass is as good as new. It was built in 1999 (although I'm still waiting to confirm what number it is out of the 1000 made).

It sounds classic Rickenbacker and plays reall quickly due to the thin neck.

The fretboard has really unusual white flecks running through it (I'm not sure if its the same wood as the wings on the headstock; if it is, then its Vermilion.)

The horseshoe pickup looks amazing and the condition is excellent (a few tiny dings on the back and a mark on the upper and lower edge but I think you only notice them because the body is light coloured). The official colour is Cream Colorglo and the pickguard is clear plastic which has been painted on the back and had Chris Squire's signature too.

Unlike most modern Rickenbackers, there's only one input jack (a mono one) and there's no binding on either the body or neck.

It body size is a fair bit smaller than a normal 4001/4003. Whenever I used to see Chris Squire playing this bass in photos I used to think he was a giant with hands the size of plates! It's actually quite a small bass that tucks neatly under the arm (very comfortable).[/quote]

EMAIL RIC with the serial number, they should have the records. They are very standoffish people though, you have been warned. The serial number is on the jackplate (of all places). John Hall has gone on record to say they have never used Vermillion on a fingerboard. The body size should be the same. The model with the dots and no binding was a Rose Morris import request in the 60s to be competitive in pricing in the UK market then. So it originated in the UK, though the model 4000 with a single pickup was similar. The standard 4001 then being bound and blocked (sharktooth) necked. The model in the UK was known as "1999" and 4001S in the US. I can tell you that for the colour, and the signature pickguard, there is no difference between my dot necked , no binding, jetglo 4001sV63 and the CS, though the headstock wood for the black instrument may be different (I can't tell). The fingerboard is similar though and is a rosewood variant. Mister Squire's bass was refinished in Soho by a Chinese repairman. Mr Macartney's bass was painted in the Sgt Pepper era, and cleaned up later, with some vicious sanding which actually changed the shape of the horns. I don't know that the Squire bass was sanded viciously or not when it was refinished, probably...

BTW, Chris Squire is on the RIC forum.

[quote name='synaesthesia' post='92701' date='Nov 22 2007, 12:59 PM']EMAIL RIC with the serial number, they should have the records. They are very standoffish people though, you have been warned. The serial number is on the jackplate (of all places). John Hall has gone on record to say they have never used Vermillion on a fingerboard. The body size should be the same. The model with the dots and no binding was a Rose Morris import request in the 60s to be competitive in pricing in the UK market then. So it originated in the UK, though the model 4000 with a single pickup was similar. The standard 4001 then being bound and blocked (sharktooth) necked. The model in the UK was known as "1999" and 4001S in the US. I can tell you that for the colour, and the signature pickguard, there is no difference between my dot necked , no binding, jetglo 4001sV63 and the CS, though the headstock wood for the black instrument may be different (I can't tell). The fingerboard is similar though and is a rosewood variant. Mister Squire's bass was refinished in Soho by a Chinese repairman. Mr Macartney's bass was painted in the Sgt Pepper era, and cleaned up later, with some vicious sanding which actually changed the shape of the horns. I don't know that the Squire bass was sanded viciously or not when it was refinished, probably...

BTW, Chris Squire is on the RIC forum.[/quote]

Thanks very much for the info- much appreciated. RIC has confirmed that the Serial number tallies with their records (dates from 1999) but they didn't tell me which number in the series it is!! I'll try them again (they seem a bit precious).