Why become a member? ×

A Fire Inside

Rosh

I don't know if any of you out there are AFI fans, many people are fans but only certain albums as they change a lot between records.

I love all their stuff up until "decemberunderground" and one song on "Crash Love" is growing on me.

Although, with all this genre changing I find Hunter's bass tone to be fantastic all the time:

1999, All Hallow's E.P.

2003, Sing the Sorrow

2009, Crash Love

What do you reckon?

([i]and yes, it is the same band/same members in each video)[/i]

Edited by Rosh

I love AFI... but I'm a 1999 - 2003 fan, Sing the Sorrow had good songs but was too over produced, most noticeably on the singles, and I didn't really like Decemberunderground. Saying that, I listened to Crash Love on We7 the other day and was much more impressed with it than I was with Decemberunderground. Always been a fan of Hunter's simple melodic lines, and yes, always had great tone, whether he's using a Jazz or Precision.

[quote name='RussFM' post='841102' date='May 18 2010, 04:40 PM']I love AFI... but I'm a 1999 - 2003 fan, Sing the Sorrow had good songs but was too over produced, most noticeably on the singles, and I didn't really like Decemberunderground. Saying that, I listened to Crash Love on We7 the other day and was much more impressed with it than I was with Decemberunderground. Always been a fan of Hunter's simple melodic lines, and yes, always had great tone, whether he's using a Jazz or Precision.[/quote]

I love the stuff pre-1999 all the way upto Sing the Sorrow, although that's with different members. I didn't think Sing the Sorrow was that bad, although it marks their slide into "emo" which they're coming out of now.

Edited by Rosh

[quote name='El Bajo' post='841707' date='May 19 2010, 09:15 AM']Agree with all of the above. I really liked Sing the Sorrow and his tone is to die for. be interested to know if it comes across live.[/quote]

Apparently so, I've yet to see them live yet.

This is one of those vids where it's rammed but none of the audience seem to be into it :/

There's even some bass tapping at 1:23 but the dumbass cameramen didn't catch it!

Edited by Rosh

Finally some threads on AFI!.

As much as Im always a fan of early work with banks of this genre, AFIs latest work is really really good.

Highly polished, very catchy, awesome melodies, great bass tone (big fat clanky Precision bass cf to his older Jazz tones).

Sing The Sorrow is my favourite album. Yes, it is nowhere near as upbeat/fast/punk as their earlier work, but the songs are SO well constructed.

I recently went to Groezrock in Belgium. AFI were one of the highlights. Not only do they really enjoy playing live, (its so obvious with how they throw themselves around) the light show, stage props, and awesome singalongs made it perfect for me. I had food poisoning the morning before they played, and I made the Festival about 3 hours later than planned (only missed 1 or 2 bands I planned to see luckily).

AFI made it a really really good day, along with A Wilhelm Scream.

Highly recommended to see live. Davey's vocals are spot on, and he's finally ditched the daft goth-punk look!

I absolutely adore this band.

Hunter is incredible, if you have not seen them live DO IT! it's a real adrenaline rush.

I remember reading a few years back about Hunters Jazz bass which has a built in wireless kit and no input socket. Very cool!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='841841' date='May 19 2010, 11:05 AM']I recently went to Groezrock in Belgium. AFI were one of the highlights.[/quote]

Our trumpet player went to Groezrock, she'd also seen AFI twice a couple of weeks before (in Manchester and Newcastle), so that made it three times she saw AFI in about a month.

:)

[quote name='throwoff' post='841845' date='May 19 2010, 11:10 AM']I absolutely adore this band.

Hunter is incredible, if you have not seen them live DO IT! it's a real adrenaline rush.

I remember reading a few years back about Hunters Jazz bass which has a built in wireless kit and no input socket. Very cool![/quote]

Agreed. Massive adrenaline rush :)

His Precision tone, IMO, makes them sound a little more aggressive. As much as I love the Jazz tone, the P tone helps them live with them having only one guitarist.

I think Davey's new look also helps a fair bit, it was a bit strange when she started looking womanly in the Love Like Winter video.

The singer from my old band used to rip Davey off all the time, sing like him, scream like him, look like him, dress like him -- so much so when he went to the stage door at one of they many shows he's attended, Hunter came out and said "Hey, Davey, this guy looks more like you than you do -- come in", so he's met them around 10-11 times. Fantastic!

I need to see them!

Edited by Rosh