Why become a member? ×

My Big Al 5

Grand Wazoo

[quote name='Musicman20' post='843653' date='May 20 2010, 10:57 PM']Thats what happened to me...listen to the youtube demos and you will be addicted![/quote]

You're not kidding! I'm thinking 3 pickups is the way forward, maybe I'll take a router to my old Status and see if I can get some new sounds out of it...

[quote name='Fat Rich' post='843651' date='May 20 2010, 10:55 PM']Ah well, all pretty simple then :) :rolleyes:

And the more I look at this bass the more I love it....[/quote]

It's going to be very confusing if the circuit really is like in that diagram, with the Bridge pickup going through the Middle pickup switch and vice versa. You'd have thought it'd be complicated enough without tricks like that :lol:

[quote name='mart' post='844009' date='May 21 2010, 12:15 PM']It's going to be very confusing if the circuit really is like in that diagram, with the Bridge pickup going through the Middle pickup switch and vice versa. You'd have thought it'd be complicated enough without tricks like that :)[/quote]

It is simpler if you think it this way: 3 pickups - 3 individual on/off switches, when they are all in the off position this setup will give you the bridge and the middle in series as opposed to parallel wiring. Then... you have a passive / active switch and with that you get the wonders of both world, meaning that with the active circuit on you have a powerful 4 band eq: bass / treble / low mid and high mids. When in passive you have a very nice warm tone control which is is proper old school sweetness. How can this be so complicated to understand? I have a similar setup on my 25th Anniversary and it's a breeze to work with, the passive tones are really really captivating.

Cheers

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='844055' date='May 21 2010, 12:50 PM']..... How can this be so complicated to understand? ....[/quote]

No, you're right, it's not so complicated. I was just making a lame joke about the mistake on the circuit diagram:

[quote name='mart' post='844009' date='May 21 2010, 12:15 PM']... the Bridge pickup going through the Middle pickup switch and vice versa. ....[/quote]

What happened to the classic ray G'?

It's amazing how more vintage yours looks as well. I'd gas for that if the burst wasn't so dramatic, as in too much black.

I think these share the same controls as the Relfex they just announced. But 4 band pre? Me like!!!

Edit: just heard it. Now I really do have gas.

Edited by Prime_BASS

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='845555' date='May 23 2010, 10:27 AM']What happened to the classic ray G'?

It's amazing how more vintage yours looks as well. I'd gas for that if the burst wasn't so dramatic, as in too much black.

I think these share the same controls as the Relfex they just announced. But 4 band pre? Me like!!!

Edit: just heard it. Now I really do have gas.[/quote]

Ah, unfortunately it had some issues issues with the neck when it arrived. I decided against waiting for another as it put me off in a way.

Big Al 5 and Ray 5 will be more than enough anyway :)

[quote name='Musicman20' post='845719' date='May 23 2010, 01:26 PM']Ah, unfortunately it had some issues issues with the neck when it arrived. I decided against waiting for another as it put me off in a way.

Big Al 5 and Ray 5 will be more than enough anyway :)[/quote]

What issues if you don't mind me asking, (feel free to pm me) but I can only speculate that you probably didn't like the lacquered neck feel?

[quote name='Musicman20' post='845719' date='May 23 2010, 01:26 PM']Ah, unfortunately it had some issues issues with the neck when it arrived. I decided against waiting for another as it put me off in a way.

it's alright for some :rolleyes:

but indeed the video I watched on YouTube was some Ed Friesland guy (sp?) watching him going through 16 + sounds was a bit boring, but my god does it sound PHat. If these gain in popularity I'm hoping they'll be some more manufactures going for the 3 single coil.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='846329' date='May 24 2010, 10:47 AM']Do these have a Stingray or Sterling -type neck, anyone know?

I like the look of them and the electronics look good but I can't get on with clunky Stingray-style necks.[/quote]

Apparently its the slimmer Sterling neck profile, as per the announcement of the bass on the EBMM forums. Not sure where the link in Ill check.

[url="http://www.ernieball.com/forums/music-man-basses/42074-big-al-5-sss-torture-3.html"]http://www.ernieball.com/forums/music-man-...-torture-3.html[/url]

There is something on that page about it being a Sterling 5 profile. Who knows hahah! I will know once mine and the SR5 arrive.

Can you pm me with details as I am considering selling my pre-eb to buy a Classic.

Thx

• 3 weeks later...

Want (but 4 strings)!!

Kinda half relieved when I've emailed Bonners (as they looked after me with my TC gear) and they came back with just the humbucker version.

I'm still lusting after one of these though. I'd probably opt for a white or black version to make it look more like a crazy 1950's style futurist bass :)

Once I realised that you get a button for each pickup and when all off the back to are running together it all made sense.

There should be almost no tone out-of-reach with that set-up with the addition of the active option.