Why become a member? ×

Working on your transcriptions

Faithless

Ok, guys, I'm curious, how do you work on your transcriptions..

What do I do, is, first of all..

1. Go through my work 50%, or so, slower, along with the recording..

2. Then, try to match with the original speed of solo/tune..

3. Then, try to play the solo on playlong, without the 'help' of original soloist..

4.Take phrases, learn them in other keys, different tempos..

5. Try to create something new, with the help of transcribed phrases..

Share, what do you do..

Edited by Faithless

Depends on what I am transcribing for. I use seventhstrings Transcribe software and go through it step by step until I have a complete chart. If its for a chart I am going to play, I will then learn it. If the chart is for someone else, I probably won't.

+1 to Transcribe software, really excellent.

I'll generally play through the whole thing for a while, getting the flavour of it + not worrying about speed, get the speed up a bit, then take phrases I like and play them in all 12 keys to get them into my brain. I never end up playing the licks I learn when I improvise, but it does seem to change my playing.

It's what Jeff Berlin taught me to do when I studied with him, so I reckon what's good for the goose is good for the gander...

Pete

I've never used software. I just listen to a bar at a time and write it down, If a passage escapes my ear I will work it out on the bass. I'm blessed with very sharp ears and can hear everything, all instruments, which is great for me, but sometimes a little intimidating for others if I'm band leader

Good thread. I tend to do as much as possible just listening to the song on my ipod and work it out in my head. I then confirm and/or work out the trickier parts with an instrument (voice, guitar, bass, etc). I've used transcribe software for some very tricky guitar solos, but I primarily transcribe without an instrument and use my ear.

Oh right! Gotcha.

I tend to add it to my mental library/back catalog, or use some for etudes or the like. Generally when I transcribe something there's something I want to learn or absorb from it, so for me often the transcribing is the benefit in itself and may not use/play it again regularly.

It's not the topic, but, anyway, I find reading my transcriptions so much easier, than reading something totally new - the transcription I'm reading, most of the times, is simply 'ringing' in my head, a bar ahead of where I am..

But, after spending so much time on transcription, that isn't very strange, is it..

Edited by Faithless

often I have to play it to transcribe it
because my ears are catching up
so it's not a reading tool per se

sometimes it's because I like the vibe or pace of the solo
and I want to figure out 'the flow' which may be more memorable to me than the notes

generally I am not sure what I do with transcriptions
it's just something you do
because deep down it's good for you
I don't need to know why, it just is.

also one day I want to be really good at it. I admire very much people with great ears who have proper theory skills.

[quote name='foal30' post='840374' date='May 17 2010, 11:39 PM']often I have to play it to transcribe it
because my ears are catching up
so it's not a reading tool per se

generally I am not sure what I do with transcriptions
it's just something you do
because deep down it's good for you
I don't need to know why, it just is.[/quote]
Very poetic.