Why become a member? ×

6 ohm cab

throwoff

right.... well normally it will say something on the back of the head stating what the output impedance is.... it should also tell you what the min impedance is that the head will run down to... so might say something like - 400W @ 8 ohm/ Min impedance must not exceed 4 ohm.... which case you'll be fine... just use your ears when cranking the head

Look for an amp that puts out between 200 and 1000 Watts into 4 Ohms. I know that looks like a huge jump from 200 to 1000, but believe me, it won't make much difference in the real world. You'll get about 90% of that into a 6 Ohm load, and your amp will run cooler.

Other than that, look for an amp that's got the features you want.

A

[quote name='SS73' post='834173' date='May 11 2010, 01:09 PM']Measure the Ohms yourself with an Ohm meter, my 410, 8 Ohm cab is actually 6.2 Ohms. Your cab may be higher or lower, but when you know you can make a better choice, which way to go.[/quote]

Is this a more accurate way of finding the true rating of the cab ?

[quote name='throwoff' post='833973' date='May 11 2010, 09:37 AM']....Seen a steal of a 6 ohm cab going but I don't think I ever seen a 6 ohm head....[/quote]
Any amp that can run to 4 ohms will happily run a 6 ohm cab. You'll just get slightly less watts into the cab. You'll never be able to hear the difference.

[quote name='SS73' post='834173' date='May 11 2010, 01:09 PM']Measure the Ohms yourself with an Ohm meter, my 410, 8 Ohm cab is actually 6.2 Ohms. Your cab may be higher or lower, but when you know you can make a better choice, which way to go.[/quote]

Resistance and impedance are not the same thing, and what you are measuring is resistance. Impedance varies according to, among other things, the frequency of the signal sent through the speaker.

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' post='834199' date='May 11 2010, 08:32 AM']Resistance and impedance are not the same thing, and what you are measuring is resistance. Impedance varies according to, among other things, the frequency of the signal sent through the speaker.[/quote]
+1.
OP, read this:
[url="http://wiki.basschat.co.uk/info:amps:impedance_and_wattage"]http://wiki.basschat.co.uk/info:amps:impedance_and_wattage[/url]

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' post='834199' date='May 11 2010, 01:32 PM']Resistance and impedance are not the same thing, and what you are measuring is resistance. Impedance varies according to, among other things, the frequency of the signal sent through the speaker.[/quote]

I also believe sticking an ohmmeter across a speaker is not a good idea (I stand to be corrected on this though)

[quote name='4-string-thing' post='836371' date='May 13 2010, 04:54 PM']I also believe sticking an ohmmeter across a speaker is not a good idea (I stand to be corrected on this though)[/quote]

It can confuse and upset people cause it often doesn't say what they expect it to, but don't think there is a damage risk. Might cause fun with crossovers I guess.