Why become a member? ×

erm, I keep reading about compressers...

iconic

Compression is often used in music production to make performances more consistent in dynamic range so that they "sit" in the mix of other instruments better and maintain consistent attention from the listener.

In short, it is a way of tightening the signal so the highs and lows in the resulting volume are less extreme. I see it best when slapping and popping as the 'pop' bit can peak your signal whilst the slap bit sounds a lot quieter. Its subtle but makes a massive difference in balancing recordings. Live I don't bother as the effect is often lost in the live mix in the small venues I play but I know others are more inclined to use it.

I've quite often used it live to both balance my signal out (to make it sit in the mix better, as Bilbo mentioned) but also to protect my amp, which used to have quite sensitive protection circuitry which could trip the amp out on a loud 'pop' or similar.

They are useful if you're playing at lower volumes, and don't want the levels of popping or slapping to spike excessively above fingerstyle volume. The compression aspect can also be useful if you need more sustain, and will swell the volume as the note dies away naturally to maintain the level. You might also consider a limiter, which will prevent the excessive volume peaks from popping and slapping without gaining up the volume when a note dies away.

At higher volume levels some amps and most speakers will naturally compress a bit anyway, so if you play loud you'll already have an idea of the effect.

All you need to know about compression at point is available [url="http://www.ovnilab.com/faq.shtml"]here[/url].

Follow the link and read, Ovnilabs is Talkbass' Bongomania's site, and he's reveiewd an awful lot of compressors, and included very informative info on how and why you would/should/could use them.

Personally I just need more flashing lights.....