Why become a member? ×

Jazz Pups For A Slapper?

Lylodile

I own a standard fender mexican jazz bass. Very nice to play, but when using fingerstyle I have to pluck very hard indeed to get a decent sound out of it, and the output is very low. Also it's slap tone leaves something to be desired. I'm looking to upgrade to some better pickups, that are both good fingerstyle and slapped. I have heard good things about wizards but I'm not sure about what model to get or anything. Also like the sound of dimarzios. Any recommendations?

very difficult is this one.

I am a big fan of Barts..as I think they have a better character to the sound.

Some people like a more powerful sound which might mean more winds... I prefer a thicker coil with less winds but only the pickups winders can really explain it.

Talk to Wizard or Aaron Amrstrong about what pups can get what sound... maybe have a sound reference to hand
as to the sound you are looking for. They'll know far more about how to get sounds, most of us are happy when we stumble across
the ones we like.

Your pickups don't sound like they are that great so any upgrade is likely to be an improvement...but Aaron or Wizard is where I would start.

I concurr (to quote a film) with all of the above. Fender pups tend to be quite pokey IME, so it does make me wonder about the set up... and don't under estimate the value of a good set of strings. DRs just are the best.... That said, Villex and EMG jazz sets get good reviews but I have no experience of them, however what I can say is that I have Delano JC4AL/M2s in my Shuker Jazz, and they are extremely good. Split coils make them noisless and they're very flexible from a good thick tone to very bright - and plenty of level. A modern slap tone needs a little more mid scoop than they have naturally, but a tweak of outboard EQ and you're there.

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' post='827863' date='May 4 2010, 08:43 PM']Before you buy new PUs, have you tried altering pickup height at all?[/quote]
Yes, but to no avail sadly =(

[quote name='Pete1967' post='828005' date='May 4 2010, 10:59 PM']I concurr (to quote a film) with all of the above. Fender pups tend to be quite pokey IME, so it does make me wonder about the set up... and don't under estimate the value of a good set of strings. DRs just are the best.... That said, Villex and EMG jazz sets get good reviews but I have no experience of them, however what I can say is that I have Delano JC4AL/M2s in my Shuker Jazz, and they are extremely good. Split coils make them noisless and they're very flexible from a good thick tone to very bright - and plenty of level. A modern slap tone needs a little more mid scoop than they have naturally, but a tweak of outboard EQ and you're there.[/quote]
Hmm ok, shall look into it, thanks :).

I've got a pair of Dimarzio Ultra Jazz in my fretted, and these give a wicked slap tone - they get towards an active sound. They're also split coil, so no hum, however I don't like the fact that the pole pieces aren't staggered to match the neck radius; the E and G string come through slightly stronger than the middle strings.

I've found the mexican jazz pups to be louder than the ones fitted in the standard american jazz, but as somebody above mentioned, 'pokey'. The american ones were quieter, but had much more depth to their tone.

My MIA S1 jazz is now sporting Wizard '84's which are the slightly overwound version of the '64's. Treading a fine line between louder output and depth of tone, I've got plenty of growl now, (and in series, plenty of thump), but would recommend them as the only set of after market jazz pups I've ever bought. I suspect I would have been just as happy with the '64's. Reasonably priced too.