Why become a member? ×

Ampeg SVT3 pro ??

mik900

I have my SVT3 Pro through Ampeg 410HLF. So I should be getting 450W output. I have the gain set at about 5 to 12, just before clipping when I strike hard and master full. I sometimes think I just need a little more headroom, but seem to be at a bit of cul de sac - can't put up the gain anymore as it will clip and master is up full! I have tried adding attenuation with the -15DB button, but still with the master up full I cant say I notice any great difference. How can I get more out of the amp, I don't want a bigger cab (although have considered the 6X10). I play in a punk band with a pick. Any suggestions PLEASE!!

Many thanks

Mike

Hi Mike,

An option I would suggest is putting a pedal pre-amp between your bass and amp to get some more oomph.
Something like one of these would do it: MXR M-80, Sansamp, Sadowsky, Aguilar, etc, etc

Hope that gives you food for thought,
Cheers,
Jon

You could try putting up the values of the EQ sliders, so they are nearer the top. The problem you have is you can't drive your gain any further without clipping the amp so can't see how a pedal "booster" would help?
Being honest, I had a brief spell with one of these amps and I had the very same problem. My solution was to sell it. Now playing a Markbass SA450 which is way, way louder, but I still loved my Ashown ABM500 that I sold to buy the Ampeg. Has an Ampeg(ish) tone, only much better in my opinion and I would suggest you look at doing the same. Academy of Sound have these at £279 just now !!!!

Edited by largo

[quote name='largo' post='821704' date='Apr 28 2010, 11:45 AM']You could try putting up the values of the EQ sliders, so they are nearer the top. The problem you have is you can't drive your gain any further without clipping the amp so can't see how a pedal "booster" would help?
Being honest, I had a brief spell with one of these amps and I had the very same problem. My solution was to sell it. Now playing a Markbass SA450 which is way, way louder, but I still loved my Ashown ABM500 that I sold to buy the Ampeg. Has an Ampeg(ish) tone, only much better in my opinion and I would suggest you look at doing the same. Academy of Sound have these at £279 just now !!!![/quote]

Can't beat real life experience advice!
Sounds like you need a second matching speaker cabinet to get more out of it as you require :)

People use these amps wrongly....

Try the following:

Put the 'Master' on full
Use the 'Gain' as a volume
The 'drive' control works in reverse..... therefore, for more 'drive' have it set counter clockwise.... and for a cleaner tone, turn further clockwise.
If you're not using the graphic then put the 'level' slider up to full.

Have you got a passive bass? My SVT3 PRO was very loud but I used Mesa Boogie and Epifani cabs not Ampeg. If you're getting clipping with the gain set to 12 ish maybe you need to roll some volume off of the instrument.

I set it up my SVT3 with all the buttons out, most of the tone controls between 12 and 1 o'clock, the master volume at 3 o'clock and the gain at about 12 o'clock. My active bass volume was between 1/3 and 1/2 up. You can get extra volume by switching in the EQ and using the right hand fader, which adds volume via the EQ.

I have played with some very loud bands but I haven't needed more than 500 watts. Maybe if your band is even louder you just need more power!

Thanks some good food for thought there. I play a Rickenbacker 4003 and a Fender P. I have used a Zoom bass pedal for a bit of distortion. I just feel that if I need a bit more head room there isn't anywhere to go!! I understand the use of the tube knob I have it set at about 12 o clock, the sound I get I'm really quite happy with, that classic Ampeg sound but I just think for the power output it has I should have a bit more left in the bank. I haven't made much use of the eq though which I may try, any tips on settings (really like that JJ Burnel, Bruce Foxton Sound)? That maybe the answer. I have had a look at the Ashdown and Markbass gear looks pretty good!

Mike

I've got an SVT3-PRO, and have only just managed to get a great tone out of it, after years of it sounding like sh*t, quite frankly!

Basically in the manual theres a sample pre-set for 'Rock', basically the Master on full, and gain is the actualy volume pot you use (as previously mentioned in the thread)

But then, get a Sansamp bass driver DI and use the 'Fat Tube' pre set,

And suddenly it sounds like a monster!

The Sansamp is totally recommended.

I play with a Fender P FYI.