Why become a member? ×

Looking for a thin necked 5 string

Metalmoore

Well i am looking to upgrade to a 5 string as there is a bunch of songs that need that low B that i would like to play.
I tried a Fender Jazz 5 and the neck felt pretty wide (i dont have the biggest of hands so it felt a bit weird ) which i wasnt expecting, i thought it would be a nice thin and perfect (to me) neck similar to the usual jazz neck.

I have been looking at getting a Warmoth Gecko 5 and they only come in 1 7/8" nut widths (same as the jazz 5) and now that i have tried the jazz not so sure if it would be very comfortable for me. So can anyone suggest any other 5 string basses as i would like to try as many as i can before i make my mind up.

Cheers for any help.

Hiya buddy,

Please see the link below for my Ibanez BTB 5 string. The neck is maple, thin and easy to play! I have pictures showing actual scale of neck if you are interested!

Thanks.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=84160"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=84160[/url]

I tried a jazz V in a shop the other day and had the same surprise as you. I also tried an OLP fiver and it was much narrower and more comfortable.

Interestingly, I found the string spacing was fine for me, when i expected it to be too tight.

Skint or I would have bought it.

Worth thinking OLP I would say, if you can find one.

[quote name='fatback' post='819464' date='Apr 26 2010, 02:56 PM']I tried a jazz V in a shop the other day and had the same surprise as you. I also tried an OLP fiver and it was much narrower and more comfortable.

Interestingly, I found the string spacing was fine for me, when i expected it to be too tight.

Skint or I would have bought it.

Worth thinking OLP I would say, if you can find one.[/quote]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=85513"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=85513[/url]

Alternatively you could keep your eye out for the OLP Tony Levin 5 which is cool.

[quote name='Metalmoore' post='818752' date='Apr 26 2010, 12:41 AM']Well i am looking to upgrade to a 5 string as there is a bunch of songs that need that low B that i would like to play.
I tried a Fender Jazz 5 and the neck felt pretty wide (i dont have the biggest of hands so it felt a bit weird ) which i wasnt expecting, i thought it would be a nice thin and perfect (to me) neck similar to the usual jazz neck.

I have been looking at getting a Warmoth Gecko 5 and they only come in 1 7/8" nut widths (same as the jazz 5) and now that i have tried the jazz not so sure if it would be very comfortable for me. So can anyone suggest any other 5 string basses as i would like to try as many as i can before i make my mind up.

Cheers for any help.[/quote]
Hi Metalmoore

I just sold a Ken Smith 5 to thestick, i think the neck would meet your requirements.

Regards

Perry

I have a small hand & like slim necks.

Currently my #1 bass is my Peavey Cirrus BXP V with the 35" scale. I think string spacing on this is about 16mm.

My #2 bass is a Hohner B Bass V, 34" scale with souped up electrics. This is even slimmer than the Cirrus.

I also have an OLP Stingray V which, although having very narrow spacing, like the B Bass, the neck is deeper back to front. I really like the tone I get off the OLP, but because of the depth of the neck, I'll be putting it up for sale on the Forum when I get back from Scotland next week. It's the one I had at the Moffat Bass Bash.

If anyone wants first dibs on it, PM me.

I played Neepheed's G&L 4 at Moffat & it has as slim a neck as I've ever played, but I don't know how that'd translate to a 5er.

Geoff