Why become a member? ×

My new Vigier...

cgordonfreeman

Here's my new (to me) Vigier Passion III guitar that I got in a trade for my Carvin:

I can barely play guitar but this is one of the nicest guitars I've ever played.
Specs:
Graphite through neck,
Flamed maple body wings,
Benedetti pickups,
Custom ball bearing based locking trem with fine tuners at the nut,
6 position 18v parametric mid control

I've never played a graphite neck before and I'm liking this one. It's fast without being pencil thin and gives great upper fret access.

The body is tiny and really light. Much smaller than a strat and its contours are very comfortable.

The only issue with it is the trem bar is a screw in jobbie and two-thirds of the bit that screws in is broken off and I don't really want to risk using it. I contacted Vigier but they don't stock them anymore. Does anyone know where I might find one? Haven't measured it exactly but looks 5 or 6mm in diameter along the non threaded bit and apparently a lot of Jap guitars have ones that might fit.

Anyway, enough rambling.

Cheers,
John

They're very uncommon, where did you find it?

The trem bar bit can be drilled out of the hole if its done carefully. You'll probably need to get one made but its not difficult. Get some stainless steel rod, cut and bend it to shape and tap the right thread on the end. Someone here might even be able to do it for you.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='811683' date='Apr 19 2010, 06:06 PM']They're very uncommon, where did you find it?

The trem bar bit can be drilled out of the hole if its done carefully. You'll probably need to get one made but its not difficult. Get some stainless steel rod, cut and bend it to shape and tap the right thread on the end. Someone here might even be able to do it for you.[/quote]
I saw it on sale on Jemsite and asked the seller would they trade for my Carvin LB75P, which they did. It's in very good for a 20 year old guitar and according to Vigier it's a collectors piece.

With regards the trem bar, it's not actually broken off inside the trem unit, it's just in two pieces so I'll have to get a collectors new one made somewhere.

Cheers.

[quote name='cgordonfreeman' post='811793' date='Apr 19 2010, 08:14 PM']With regards the trem bar, it's not actually broken off inside the trem unit, it's just in two pieces so I'll have to get a collectors new one made somewhere.[/quote]

You should contact Vigier - they may have some old spare parts & be able to supply you with the correct trem arm.

[quote name='Geddys nose' post='812056' date='Apr 19 2010, 10:05 PM']Very Nice indeed I bet the sustain is something else, I bet some Stanley Jorden would sound great on it.[/quote]
To be honest I haven't even heard it plugged into an amp yet. I just tested that there was a signal from the preamp by plugging it into a tunes.

Next week I'm taking delivery of a combo from www.ratvalveamps.com so that'll be the real test.

I never heard of Stanley Jordan before but after a bit of Youtubing his stuff seems cool. Nice version of Stairway to Heaven.

Cheers,
John

Very cool guitar... it's the guitar version of my bass, basically, and I sort of wanted one for a while but never had the energy to learn how to badly play another instrument. Can we see some more pics of it? I remember seeing the pics you have attached on eBay or something whilst I have been exploring the net for graphite necked Vigiers!

Cheers
ped

[quote name='ped' post='813226' date='Apr 20 2010, 10:11 PM']Very cool guitar... it's the guitar version of my bass, basically, and I sort of wanted one for a while but never had the energy to learn how to badly play another instrument. Can we see some more pics of it? I remember seeing the pics you have attached on eBay or something whilst I have been exploring the net for graphite necked Vigiers!

Cheers
ped[/quote]

Ya, I'll get new pics up soon enough. The ones I have up are from the previous owner before the guy I got it from so it could have been on eBay. I only traded the Carvin for it cos it was such an unusual guitar. Must learn how to play it now...

[quote name='cgordonfreeman' post='813310' date='Apr 21 2010, 03:25 AM']Pretty sure anyone who has one is trying to sell them for one reason or another. I'd love an SB5000 but can't justify one. Yet...[/quote]

A fretless AC50 would be on my shopping list. Even with the £/$ rate as it is, Carvins are good value for money.