Why become a member? ×

Buying a bass for funk/disco/electronics

AhBootsybaby

Dear All

I've played fretless for a while now but really want to get into a sound with more attack, not necassarily slap, but perhaps with a funky honk and a growl. I play finger style only, would never use a pick

I would like a fretted bass that has a good high tone for twangy funk/disco thats got a very thin fast neck, 4 string, active that really sings that is warm not muddy, it must be clear transparent even, I hate mushy sounding bass. Also I would want ot experiment by putting my bass through a synth, echo etc so need a good clean signal.

I've owned a fender jazz which i liked but want something perhaps with more bite, I also had a Wal fretless which I sold for £500 back in 90#s and I will nerver ever get over that :-(

I've been trawling net etc and looking at Spector, Jaydee, Warwick but not played any of them, etc can anyone recommend anything for up to £1000 that would fit the bill please!?

Mr B

vote Lim dem!!!

[quote name='AhBootsybaby' post='810302' date='Apr 18 2010, 01:56 PM']I would like a fretted bass that has a good high tone for twangy funk/disco thats got a very thin fast neck, 4 string[/quote]

not sure about the neck, but some great music of the styles you mention where made on standard Stingrays, Ps and Jazzes

i know thats obvious, but often overlooked with the choices and specs we have have today