Why become a member? ×

String Identification - Flats, no silks (photos)

BigBeatNut

This is going to be a tough one I think.

It's a nice growly flatwound that's an odd one out in a set that came with the bass. Haven't found anything to match it. I think it's an A strung in the E position ... so detuned and that may contribute to the growl ... that and it being on a fretless.

The only other distinctive thing is that there a clear gaps in the windings ... gaps on labellas are much tighter.

Pics

Any help would be appreciated as I'm starting to get obsessive about the sound of this string.

Andy

Whoops ... there have been some things eliminated because of the [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=649020"]talkbass thread[/url]. Notably:

[quote name='Meatrus']My first thought was Fender flats, but unfortunately no, as they have green silk at the ballends.[/quote]
[quote name='MarkusBass']Blue are Chromes. Lakland JO Flats are black, GHS Precision Flats (same as JOs) are purplish.[/quote]
[quote name='lowendfriend']My first reaction was Sadowsky Stainless Flats (Black Labels). But on close inspection, they have grey silk real close to the color of the strings. I also see the wrap is tighter than your pic. (Sad's are wound by LaBella).

The second pic is Detroit Flat Stainless from webstrings.com. No silk but a smoother wrap style than your pic.

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=164374&d=1271516679"]pic 1[/url] [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=164375&d=1271516679"]pic 2[/url][/quote]

Andy

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='811417' date='Apr 19 2010, 03:14 PM']Possibly GHS Brite Flats - they have the gaps but I'm unsure whether they have silk.[/quote]

[quote name='throwoff' post='811465' date='Apr 19 2010, 03:51 PM']Red silks![/quote]

Not those then.

Are the gaps in the windings on Brite Flats due to them being groundwounds?

If so, does that suggest OP's strings might be groundwounds?

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='811641' date='Apr 19 2010, 06:32 PM']If so, does that suggest OP's strings might be groundwounds?[/quote]
Nice idea, but I just had the cut end of the string under a magnifying glass ... the outer wrap is definitely rectangular. There was an inner wrap that appeared to be round.

[quote name='nick' post='812979' date='Apr 20 2010, 08:24 PM']Look like Webstrings Detroit Flats to me.
I've had sets with gaps in windings before - good flats.[/quote]
Really ? Did you see this above ?
[quote name='lowendfriend']The second pic is Detroit Flat Stainless from webstrings.com. No silk but a smoother wrap style than your pic.
[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=164375&d=1271516679"]pic 2[/url][/quote]
He decided that it wasn't those strings because the gaps didn't look the same in his pic.

But you think the gaps vary (from set to set), and it might be those strings ?

Andy

• 1 year later...

Just for the record (I know this is an old thread) they could possibly be LaBella 'Jamersons'. The blue of the silk looks to be the same colour and ball is also the same a s pic'd... brassy looking. However, the Jamersons have VERY high tension so that is a dead give-away. If they are not high tension they are not Jamersons.

[quote name='UNITY GAIN' post='1280477' date='Jun 24 2011, 07:23 AM']Just for the record (I know this is an old thread) they could possibly be LaBella 'Jamersons'. The blue of the silk looks to be the same colour and ball is also the same a s pic'd... brassy looking. However, the Jamersons have VERY high tension so that is a dead give-away. If they are not high tension they are not Jamersons.[/quote]
Just for the record, the string we were looking at didnt have any silk.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1281706' date='Jun 25 2011, 12:14 AM']And did you, and were they the correct ones?[/quote]
Haven't ordered them yet .... no longer have that bass (Lakland HB) and so my obsession with reproducing that sound has abated somewhat.

May just order some of those as an experiment for another bass though.

Andy