Why become a member? ×

Removing a badass 2

lee650

Hi everybody
15 years ago, the bass doc fitted a badass2 to my 82 squire jazz, now i loved what it did to the tone, it was a noticable improvement, the thing is i never got the action as low as id like since, for example slapping (an we all know jazz basses sound great slapped) was never the same as the original bridge, it clacks as opposed to pinging on the G string (weird description i know) and just never sounded right, i suppose it isnt hitting the frets as much, now i have read you can shim the neck which i may look into as for 15 years of setups it,s still not been a low action, or i was thinking of going back to a more original design as technology has moved on a lot in the last 15 years (especialy amps), my main thoughts were the hipshot vintage bridge(i think nordys use these) or perhaps the gotoh 201 both are quite sturdy looking and the hipshot is brass so should offer some of the same sonic benefits of a badass but not as tall. Has anyone on here done this themselves? any thoughts or insight would be appreciated, as im just thinking about this at this stage- thanks for any comments - lee

The Gotoh is very good (I have one on my '71 fretless - I have a spare also). I've played a few Hipshots and not been so impressed by them, not so much in terms of tone, but I found them limited in terms of adjustment, despite how versatile they appear at first.

Chris

I mentioned this in another thread - but I recently grabbed one of these [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Gold-Heavy-Duty-4-String-Bridge-for-Fender-Bass_W0QQitemZ380222443365QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item5887060f65#ht_500wt_956"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Gold-Heavy-Duty-4-St...65#ht_500wt_956[/url] - It looks like a Gotoh clone. Maybe Mighty-Mite? Dropped it straight on to my bass this morning using the same 5 holes and have gotten te set up 'almost' done. Like the Gotoh it has channels for the saddles to sit in and end barriers so the saddles can not move side to side.

I am VERY pleased with it.

Is your bass a JV Squier? If it's '82 I'm guessing it will be. Don't replace your BA with anything that requires drilling new holes - this will damage the value of your bass.

If the only issue with the BA is string height, why not experiment with a shim - this is really easy to do, & there are various topics on here describing how to do it.

If you do replace the bridge, a Gotoh might give you the same problem you have with the BA - these have a cast baseplate which is thicker than the original Fender "bent tin" jobby, and that automatically means your saddles will be a bit higher.

Personally, although I like a chunky bridge from an aesthetic perspective, I've never been 100% convinced they make any real difference to tone...

Jon.

Thanks for the replies everybody, it looks like shimming the neck might be the way to go!!, i assume that means making the neck higher up in the pocket? still i am favouring the more vintage looks so ill have a think,the BA2 has been on ages and is kinda part of the bass now.
It is a JV squire - lee :)

Do a site search & you'll find loads of stuff about shimming - but in a nutshell, you change the angle of the neck. Just a bit of thin card at the back of the neck pocket makes a big difference to string height.

Edit - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=49897"]'ere we go[/url]. :)

J.

Edited by Bassassin

Thanks for that J
I hadnt seen that before very interesting and i think the way to go,as i suppose any decent bridge is going to be the same, i do like the look of the hipshot though!! im hopefully getting a new preamp fitted so ill get it done at the same time- cheers again - lee