Why become a member? ×

looking for chord tone library

daz

Where is the best place on the interweb where i can print off some large scale finger posistions for chords. (so i can pin them on the wall and view them while practicing) Theres tons out there for the geetards, not to many for us cool cats (that keep mixing major and minor) though. :)

Edited by daz

Throwing a slight spanner into the works....

I think that rather than looking for a fingering chart,it would be much more beneficial to you
if you learn some chord theory.
It will do you much more good if you know that,for example, a C major chord contains the notes C,E,G
(or I,III,V if you want to look at it numerically),than just what the 'shape' is. If you know the notes you can
arpeggiate them all over the fingerboard rather than being stuck in only one position.

[quote name='Doddy' post='803669' date='Apr 12 2010, 01:15 PM']Throwing a slight spanner into the works....

I think that rather than looking for a fingering chart,it would be much more beneficial to you
It will do you much more good if you know that,for example, a C major chord contains the notes C,E,G
(or I,III,V if you want to look at it numerically),than just what the 'shape' is. If you know the notes you can
arpeggiate them all over the fingerboard rather than being stuck in only one position.[/quote]

To slightly hijack your spanner...

Anyone have an opinion/experience on/of Jeff Berlin's "A Comprehensive Chord Tone System for Mastering the Bass"?

Also Gary Willis' "Ultimate Ear Training For Guitar & Bass"

Pete.

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='805637' date='Apr 14 2010, 05:23 AM']To slightly hijack your spanner...

Anyone have an opinion/experience on/of Jeff Berlin's "A Comprehensive Chord Tone System for Mastering the Bass"?

Also Gary Willis' "Ultimate Ear Training For Guitar & Bass"

Pete.[/quote]

No, but one of them seems to be here...

[url="http://bass.ufna.ru/books/_Bass_Book__-_Jeff_Berlin_-_A_Comprehensive_Chord_Tone_System_For_Mastering_The_Bass.pdf"]http://bass.ufna.ru/books/_Bass_Book__-_Je...ng_The_Bass.pdf[/url]

[quote name='Doddy' post='803669' date='Apr 12 2010, 01:15 PM']Throwing a slight spanner into the works....

arpeggiate them all over the fingerboard rather than being stuck in only one position.[/quote]

You may well be right. Dont suppose you have any finger charts in easily emialable format?
cheers

yes i think your quite correct there. I think it would be more benficial to learn what notes are in the chord rather than finger posistions. ie: C major is C,E,G (I,III,V) etc. So now i need to find somwhere has some bas chords i can print out and learn as arpeggios. Anyone know of a good place to get some that will print out well?

Edited by daz

You should be able to find the information in pretty much any decent piano or theory book,or
website. Don't approach them as being 'bass chords'. It's the same no matter what instrument you
do it on. If you have a solid knowledge of the fingerboard and basic reading(ie. where the notes on
the stave are)you should be able to apply it to the bass easily enough. The only reason I say basic
reading is necessary is because most books will write the chords on the stave and won't necessarily
name the note.

Just for starters..... A major triad (chord) is made up of the I,III,V of a major scale. See if you can
work out the notes and at least one fingering for all 12 notes. You can even write it on a stave if you
are feeling confident. :)

Theory is optional to music, its entirely for the benefit of the player; listener couldn't care less so if you like to play/write without theory then its perfectly acceptable.

Its all retrospective analysis anyway, to apply theory to every aspect of music is to isolate yourself from the creative process.

I love theory and I've internalised more books on it that is reasonable, studied it in composition and instrumental practise and drilled it all up and down on my bass, but its by no means essential. Its just a collection of names to apply to aural effects in order to easier categorise them, if you can interpret those sounds in a musically pleasing way without needing the text labels there's no reason you shouldn't do it.

Edited by Oscar South

Fingerings are bass-specific and therefore a piano theory book won't help at all. We're talking about two different things here:
1. chord theory
2. chord voicings for bass guitar.

Pianists and guitarists, once they reach a certain standard, will spend a lot of time thinking about different chord voicings / fingerings. If bassists want to play chords (not just arpeggios) they should go through a similar exercise. The trouble is there aren't many bass books on this subject. I've never used any so I can't recommend one.

[quote name='daz' post='808773' date='Apr 16 2010, 06:47 PM']yes i think your quite correct there. I think it would be more benficial to learn what notes are in the chord rather than finger posistions. ie: C major is C,E,G (I,III,V) etc. So now i need to find somwhere has some bas chords i can print out and learn as arpeggios. Anyone know of a good place to get some that will print out well?[/quote]

Daz,

PM me your e-mail address and i will send you some chord info.