Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Single Coil Precision Grooving - Live Clip!

faceman

Found this clip of Diane Birch performing 'Nothing But A Miracle' on American late-night TV.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqdQxYnnAes&"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqdQxYnnAes&[/url]

Apart from the beautiful shimmering Rhodes sound, the bass player is exquisite in my opinion. He's very funky, smooth and melodic - it seems he's playing a single coil Precision through an Aguilar stack. It's such a deep fundamental sound I'm thinking this is flats? The sound cuts through, it's exactly what bass sound sound like in my opinion.

Now, could you get a sound similar to this with a Squier 50s Classic Vibe? :)

Looks like a Fender CIJ 51 Precision reissue or even a Custom Shop version (the sunburst looks deeper than on the Japanese 51s I have seen). Not really my music but the bass has a superb deep tone. The single coil does in my opinion have a slightly deeper,beefier tone than the split coil of later Precisions.

I know what you mean. No need to buy a 51 Precision though, if you like that sound try a set of Rotosound trubass strings. They're black nylon tapewound strings which give a very full round vintage sound. Originally they were designed to emulate double bass strings and are very easy to glide around on because of their smoothness. I thought I was the only person who uses them but a quick search found out that they're Herbie Flowers strings of choice. They come in a very heavy gauge but actually feel very supple and easy to play and sound great when playing melodic bass lines. I've tried them on my old 70's custom P/J bass and on my Geddy Lee Jazz and they sound great on both.

Edited by gjones