Why become a member? ×

Hi, from west yorkshire

Grinnreaper

Hi everybody

Just found the site and thought i'd say hello

i've been playing for around 20 years on and off in a variety of bands, mostly rock based but have also played upright slap bass in a couple of rockabilly/psychobilly bands.

The gear i'm using at the moment is an Ampeg SVT 3 Pro,a couple of Ampeg 4x10 cabs,and 2 Musicman stingrays,although i have recently been trying a Warwick Corvette Double Buck for a new project i'm involved with.

Cheers for now

GR

Thanks for the welcome guys,

i'm in wakefield,not far from leeds,The band is based in huddersfield,so i get about a bit

I must admit to wishing i'd never parted with the upright,you can't beat the sound of an old slap bass when it's done properly,just shopping about on the net for a double$$,the low end on those things is pretty awesome and just right for my side project.more on that later maybe :)

L8R

GR

we live in stanley which is just up the road from oulton,

Rooftop Gardens,crikey that takes me back a bit,not the same anymore though in fact i doubt you'd recognise town now,just about all the businesses on westgate have shut down now and been replaced by bars.

Makes the famous Westgate Run a bit of a marathon now :) :huh: :huh:

Guest subaudio

HI GR

Welcome to the site :)

I remember Rooftop Gardens too (I'm originally from Barnsley) they had 10p a pint nights that I played at once, and I didnt drink 'cos they had a nice foldback and PA/lights system, my mate the guitarist on the other hand.....

Marti

[quote name='Grinnreaper' post='86975' date='Nov 11 2007, 06:21 PM']Hi everybody

Just found the site and thought i'd say hello

i've been playing for around 20 years on and off in a variety of bands, mostly rock based but have also played upright slap bass in a couple of rockabilly/psychobilly bands.

The gear i'm using at the moment is an Ampeg SVT 3 Pro,a couple of Ampeg 4x10 cabs,and 2 Musicman stingrays,although i have recently been trying a Warwick Corvette Double Buck for a new project i'm involved with.

Cheers for now

GR[/quote]

Hi Grinnreaper,

I'm from the Ilkley area, (baht hat etc., etc.,) I've played wakefield a few times in the 60's and 70's - Newton House ?
Good to see another Tyke maintaining the standard.

Cheers,
Rhino.

[quote name='rhino' post='87794' date='Nov 13 2007, 11:29 AM'],

I'm from the Ilkley area, (baht hat etc., etc.,) I've played wakefield a few times in the 60's and 70's - Newton House ?
Cheers,
Rhino.[/quote]

Used to be the called the roundhouse, next to the roundabout - is that the right one??

Wow - digging up the past now

[quote name='skywalker' post='87812' date='Nov 13 2007, 12:09 PM']Used to be the called the roundhouse, next to the roundabout - is that the right one??

Wow - digging up the past now[/quote]

Yes, that's it , is it still in existence?

How about the Crystal Bowl, Castleford ?

"The youth of today, eh, the' don't know the' born".

Rhino

[quote name='rhino' post='88790' date='Nov 15 2007, 08:38 AM']Yes, that's it , is it still in existence?

How about the Crystal Bowl, Castleford ?

"The youth of today, eh, the' don't know the' born".

Rhino[/quote]

As far as I know Newton House is still there, but the Crystal Bowl has been a bingo hall for about 20 years I think. My wife is from Otley, our kind of age, so she will remember all the old haunts of your youth. (Should I really be opening this can of worms??)

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='skywalker' post='88825' date='Nov 15 2007, 10:16 AM']As far as I know Newton House is still there, but the Crystal Bowl has been a bingo hall for about 20 years I think. My wife is from Otley, our kind of age, so she will remember all the old haunts of your youth. (Should I really be opening this can of worms??)

Steve[/quote]

Well, what a surprise, I'm from Otley also. (Garnett Street, to be precise)
I now live in Menston, nr Ilkley, and have done for the last 28 years.

"Old haunts" - Weston Lane Youth Club Otley, Stoney Lea Hotel Ilkley,Craiglands Hotel Ilkley, Troutbeck Hotel Ilkley, Winter Gardens and Kings Hall, Ilkley, Pool Village Hall, Bramhope Youth Club, None Go Byes Farm Cookridge, Mechanics Institute Otley, Queens Hall Burley in Wharfedale.
Crystal Bowl Castleford, Hernandos Coffee Bar Leeds, Jubilee Hall Chapeltown Leeds, etc., etc.,

On a more business like front, I have just taken delivery of two PJB 4B cabinets and they are every bit as good as described.
A more detailed review will follow.

Cheers,

Rhino.

[quote name='rhino' post='94245' date='Nov 25 2007, 07:06 PM']Well, what a surprise, I'm from Otley also. (Garnett Street, to be precise)
I now live in Menston, nr Ilkley, and have done for the last 28 years.

"Old haunts" - Weston Lane Youth Club Otley, Stoney Lea Hotel Ilkley,Craiglands Hotel Ilkley, Troutbeck Hotel Ilkley, Winter Gardens and Kings Hall, Ilkley, Pool Village Hall, Bramhope Youth Club, None Go Byes Farm Cookridge, Mechanics Institute Otley, Queens Hall Burley in Wharfedale.
Crystal Bowl Castleford, Hernandos Coffee Bar Leeds, Jubilee Hall Chapeltown Leeds, etc., etc.,[/quote]

Oh God - now the top is off the can - my wife lived in Granville Mount, and we still have family in Pool Road. She went to school at Prince Henry's and and spent her youth in all those places you did. She also had several cousins in Otley, all Ashleys.

Let me know if you knew any of these. I feel a remeniscence (spelling??) over a pint coming on.

Steve

[quote name='skywalker' post='94711' date='Nov 26 2007, 07:16 PM']Oh God - now the top is off the can - my wife lived in Granville Mount, and we still have family in Pool Road. She went to school at Prince Henry's and and spent her youth in all those places you did. She also had several cousins in Otley, all Ashleys.

Let me know if you knew any of these. I feel a remeniscence (spelling??) over a pint coming on.

Steve[/quote]

Hi,
I used to deliver newspapers on both Granville Mount and Pool Road.
I know the name Ashley but I can't think of Christian names.
I went to Otley Secondary School, leaving in 1965 - I was in three local bands, namely Peter & The Wolves from 14 to 16 years old, Sons of Sin from 16 to 18 years old, and Ellisons Hogline from 18 to 20 years old. I was pro from 18 until I was 24 when I came back to Otley and eventually married at the age of 25.
My name is Brian Duffissey.

Ring any bells ?

Brian.

[quote name='rhino' post='94861' date='Nov 26 2007, 11:34 PM']Hi,
I used to deliver newspapers on both Granville Mount and Pool Road.
I know the name Ashley but I can't think of Christian names.
I went to Otley Secondary School, leaving in 1965 - I was in three local bands, namely Peter & The Wolves from 14 to 16 years old, Sons of Sin from 16 to 18 years old, and Ellisons Hogline from 18 to 20 years old. I was pro from 18 until I was 24 when I came back to Otley and eventually married at the age of 25.
My name is Brian Duffissey.

Ring any bells ?

Brian.[/quote]

I will ask my wife if she remembers any of this. She was Noeline Ashley, and the others were Keith, Julian, Richard, Peter, Clifford, Paul and Vivien, all around yours and Noeline's age.

Let you know

Steve

[quote name='skywalker' post='94931' date='Nov 27 2007, 09:28 AM']I will ask my wife if she remembers any of this. She was Noeline Ashley, and the others were Keith, Julian, Richard, Peter, Clifford, Paul and Vivien, all around yours and Noeline's age.

Let you know

Steve[/quote]

I'm sure that I knew a Noeline Ashley - although I think she maybe 3 years younger than me ?

Interesting, innit !

Brian.

[quote name='rhino' post='94950' date='Nov 27 2007, 10:14 AM']I'm sure that I knew a Noeline Ashley - although I think she maybe 3 years younger than me ?

Interesting, innit !

Brian.[/quote]

Hi Brian

She thinks that you were part of quite a big family, but not sure if they were all brothers or cousins. Do you remember the coffee bar beside the river bridge?? - that was one of her hangouts.

I will check the age thing and let you know shortly.

Steve

[quote name='skywalker' post='95044' date='Nov 27 2007, 01:11 PM']Hi Brian

She thinks that you were part of quite a big family, but not sure if they were all brothers or cousins. Do you remember the coffee bar beside the river bridge?? - that was one of her hangouts.

I will check the age thing and let you know shortly.

Steve[/quote]

She is actually a year older than you - but I don't know what age she claimed to be way back then.

Steve

[quote name='skywalker' post='95049' date='Nov 27 2007, 01:15 PM']She is actually a year older than you - but I don't know what age she claimed to be way back then.

Steve[/quote]

Hi,
Yes, a very big family, I have two younger brothers, Mick and Barry, two younger sisters Ann and Carol, late parents Bob and Irene, cousins Kevin , George and Billy, there's loads of us.

Dunwells Cafe - "Dunny's" - Bel Ami juke box, milky coffee, proper Coke, real motorbikes, Tony Hargreaves.

Should we continue this trip down memory lane via personal e-mails ?

Brian
[email protected]