Why become a member? ×

FS/FT MTD Kingston 5

haruki

MTD Kingston 5 ... £300.. or trades

I bought this bass from new some time ago... when the bass centre was in Wapping. My first serious 5er.

Its got a lovely maple board and sparkly light blue finish. Photos not so good I'm afraid.
The single MM style pickup is passive with a simple tone/volume control. Theres plenty of space in
the cavity to add active electronics - which many people do to these. These basses get rave reviews for their
playability (19mm spacing) and light weight.

Condition wise - it has a few scratches and bumps - worst are probably the small chips on the headstock- but nothing too major.
It comes with a rather old and tatty gig-bag.

35" scale 5 string
24 medium jumbo frets
Zero fret 1 7/8" wide, 5 string
Carved basswood body
Maple neck with maple fingerboard
Single exposed pole pickup
Volume, tone controls

Would prefer local pick-up..I'm in North Essex but work in Central London... happy to drive (a bit) to meet somebody
if needed.

Trade wise ... i'd be interested in black jazzes 4/5 string, or... lots of things ...can adjust for cash

Thanks for looking.

[attachment=46485:003.JPG] [attachment=46489:P1000856.JPG]

[attachment=46486:004.JPG] [attachment=46487:P1000854.JPG] [attachment=46488:P1000851.JPG]

Edited by haruki

Fantastic playability with these basses; I had two of them a few years ago.. I think this model is the Kingston Heir if I'm not mistaken?

Buying this and adding another pick up and some active electronics to it would be a relatively inexpensive way to owning a really amazing bass!

Good luck with the sale :)

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='796407' date='Apr 5 2010, 11:33 AM']Fantastic playability with these basses; I had two of them a few years ago.. I think this model is the Kingston Heir if I'm not mistaken?

Buying this and adding another pick up and some active electronics to it would be a relatively inexpensive way to owning a really amazing bass!

Good luck with the sale :)[/quote]

Thanks .

Ive never been quite sure of which Kingston this is - I have been told and ... forgotten.

I agree that though the passive sound is good - an active pickup would be great on this bass.

My love for these is well documented. These have the most effortless wide thin neck I have ever played or owned. It is super light and the best B I have used (inc Sei, MTD US, Lak US etc) You would not even need a new pick up, just get Wizard to re-wind the one that is in there. What would I do with a second one? I don't know, but I am still fighting the urge.

[quote name='owen' post='796943' date='Apr 5 2010, 09:04 PM']...It is super light and the best B I have used (inc Sei, MTD US, Lak US etc) You would not even need a new pick up, just get Wizard to re-wind the one that is in there. What would I do with a second one? I don't know, but I am still fighting the urge.[/quote]
+1

and that's a good plan..

[quote name='owen' post='796943' date='Apr 5 2010, 09:04 PM']What would I do with a second one? I don't know, but I am still fighting the urge.[/quote]

On reflection, I would certainly get someone who could actually handle a router to put the second humbucker in, unlike the one on my present one!

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='796407' date='Apr 5 2010, 11:33 AM']Fantastic playability with these basses; I had two of them a few years ago.. I think this model is the Kingston Heir if I'm not mistaken?[/quote]

It's a standard Kingston model. The Heir had a Jazz pick up in the neck position as well as the
MM style one.

They are really nice Basses. I've had a 4 string Heir for a few years now,and it's really nice.

[quote name='Doddy' post='805387' date='Apr 13 2010, 09:19 PM']It's a standard Kingston model. The Heir had a Jazz pick up in the neck position as well as the
MM style one.

They are really nice Basses. I've had a 4 string Heir for a few years now,and it's really nice.[/quote]
+1

Ah..ok. Thanks for clearing that up..

• 2 weeks later...