Why become a member? ×

Aguilar cabs difference between GS and DB?

davidmpires

Hy everyone

I might be looking for a new set of cabs later this year beggining of the next.

So far Tc Electronics are in from with RS210 x2

But I wonder if Aguilar would best suited for me and I love the boss tweed finish, but how do GS and DB cabs differ between each other?

Thanks

David

GS have great lows, slight mid scoop and sweet highs. Carpet covering and solid handles.

DB are more punchy in the mids, same low end, sweet highs with great tweet, thicker heavier wood used, fancy tolex and style. Old style strap handles. Slightly heavier I believe and more expensive.

The only thing with the tweed is it's not real tweed which is not a massive issue but realy tweed would have been a better option.

All good choices IMO.

I'm sellng my DBS sadly due to space...but Im probably going to get more Aguilar.

The RS 210s are very nice cabinets...I've been following the glowing reports on talkbass.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Pkomor' post='796155' date='Apr 5 2010, 12:46 AM']When I tried them, i thought that the more pronounced mids of the Dbs gave the impression of having reduced lows, so i went with the Gs's even though im usually a mids guy![/quote]

That's odd I was just chatting to the missus and said that I must prefer the DB's as I have a tendency to boost the mids ever so slightly on my F1.

i usually boost the mids on my stingray, buti thought the db was a bit to high-middy which arnt the mids im after! The gs sounded (to me) more low mid focused, so i decided on that one, although, it hasnt arrived yet, soi cant really comment that much!

Edited by Pkomor

Along with WoT and Marcus from this forum we did an A/B between a pair of the the DB and the GS 1x12's and imho I wouldn't say that the DB's were 'that' mid pronounced in comparison the the GS cabs! I have a feeling that WoT actually did a little video of the comparison (along with his Berg 2x10's) and it may even have been posted on BC; may be worth doing a search (I'm on my way out but may get time to look later) or PMing WoT. :rolleyes:

Having heard the two cabs back to back I'm happy that I picked the DBs but that is just my opinion. :)

I'm not one to fiddle with cabs and amps etc. In fact I find it all very non exciting and boring. It either sounds good or not and I sooner spend my money on basses than a couple of black boxes :) Old Horse Murphy was raving about the GS cabs and got me interested in them. I now have two GS 1x12's with my Shuttle 6 and they sound superb. I have never been able to get a sound out of any cab with my Stingray but the GS cabs make it sound amazing. I can't fault them and will not be changing them anytime soon.

What I like about the GS is the proper handle on the side. There is only one but the box is light anyway so not a problem. The DB has a strap handle which..considering the effort in the styling, sounds odd to me...???? Also, whether it is in the right place is another issue as well.

I would prefer the styling on the DB but the speaker chassis in both cabs is the same.. the GS is front ported and DB rear so that may be where you get the tuning diff from and if you are using these as a lightweight rig in small places, maybe placement might be an issue.

[quote name='JTUK' post='796372' date='Apr 5 2010, 11:08 AM']What I like about the GS is the proper handle on the side. There is only one but the box is light anyway so not a problem. The DB has a strap handle which..considering the effort in the styling, sounds odd to me...???? Also, whether it is in the right place is another issue as well.

I would prefer the styling on the DB but the speaker chassis in both cabs is the same.. the GS is front ported and DB rear so that may be where you get the tuning diff from and if you are using these as a lightweight rig in small places, maybe placement might be an issue.[/quote]

It might be the website photos but it looks like the DBs have side recessed deep-dish handles. Are they not the same as the GS?

[quote name='davidmpires' post='796405' date='Apr 5 2010, 11:33 AM']It might be the website photos but it looks like the DBs have side recessed deep-dish handles. Are they not the same as the GS?[/quote]

On the bigger models I think they are the same recessed handles, But on the 1 x12s the DBs use straps, and the GS's use flightcase style handles.

[quote name='davidmpires' post='796405' date='Apr 5 2010, 11:33 AM']It might be the website photos but it looks like the DBs have side recessed deep-dish handles. Are they not the same as the GS?[/quote]

No the DB cabs have strap handles. I wondered about these handles when I first got mine as I'm used to inset bar/dish handles but I have to say that after well over a year of use, they are absolutely rock solid and so long as you aren't carrying them long distances then the straps are easily good enough. Saying that, if I had a choice I may well have selected a different handle but by all accounts cutting holes in the sides of boxes compromises rigidity and 'can' affect sound... whether a deaf owld bugg3r like me could tell the difference I'm not sure. :)

[quote name='Pkomor' post='796416' date='Apr 5 2010, 11:41 AM']On the bigger models I think they are the same recessed handles, But on the 1 x12s the DBs use straps, and the GS's use flightcase style handles.[/quote]

Yep. This is true. I know for a fact the DB212s have the big recessed handles...and they are very effective. The DB112 use straps. I think this was perhaps to keep the internal volume up?!

IMO, Aguilar make good cabinets, but their 12s seem to excel.

If I had space and a roadie...the DB810 would be mine. Forget Berg NV...those massive Aggie cabs are where it's at :)