Why become a member? ×

My New Jazz - Anyone recognise it?

BIG.J

Just picked this up = Plays & Feels great, Any info would be aprechiated,

Checked previous threads etc, seen a similar 6 string Guitar, Only poor finish on the bass is its nech plate, Its well on the Pi$$. All looks original though, No chewed screw heads etc and its full of battle scars. Bridge is rotten but i aint gona clean it. I also have the Bridge & Pickup covers.

Thanks

J :) =

Thats just what i thought and it's also what made me buy it :) Just a gamble but it seems ok. Rehearsal tomorrow so only time will tell.

I have re-strung it, Action is very low and i am just getting a touch of fret buzz at the 2nd fret. Truss rod may need a tweek as its a little too straight?

It was missing a collar off the tunning peg, I looked into my bag of bit's and well there it was. One collar and a nice tight fit, Tuning pegs are very smooth but a little slack.

J.

Edited by BIG.J

Looks similar to an Ibanez i saw recently. God knows where though. I can date this pretty much on the Neckplate. I reckon it was a Friday, around 4.30pm. LOL

Awesome looker though! May i ask how much?

[quote name='BIG.J' post='784989' date='Mar 24 2010, 06:53 PM']Just picked this up = Plays & Feels great, Any info would be aprechiated,

Checked previous threads etc, seen a similar 6 string Guitar, Only poor finish on the bass is its nech plate, Its well on the Pi$$. All looks original though, No chewed screw heads etc and its full of battle scars. Bridge is rotten but i aint gona clean it. I also have the Bridge & Pickup covers.

Thanks

J :) =[/quote]

Not encountered "Yasuki" before but it'll probably be some random importer's own brand. This being the case, it's unlikely that it'll be possible to nail this one to a specific manufacturer.

Although we can have a go. The neckplate with the MIJ stamp on the lower half appears on basses from Fujigen Gakki - it also appears randomly on a few other JapCraps but not with the same consistency. However a few circumstantial things are pointing me that way. I have CSL-branded Fujigen J copy, mine's a few years later than this and has the early Ibanez Blazer shape headstock. My CSL has the same tuners (if they're slack, the tension's adjustable using the collars on the shafts), same round-end pickups, plus I've seen another CSL Jazz with those same very white inlays. All just circumstantial but there might be more - on mine, the control cavity route is longer than usual & extends under the scratchplate by a couple of cm - pop off your scratchplate & see if it's the same. All the other routing is normal on mine - close routes for the pups & wiring drilled between the cavities rather than a channel.

Also mine's a one-piece mahogany body, it'd be interesting to find out what's under the paint. Do you think the finish is original? Not sure I remember seeing a white 70s JapCrap J before.

Anyway, it's a fine looking beast. Was this on Ebay a couple of weeks back?

Jon.

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='785264' date='Mar 24 2010, 10:29 PM']Those machine heads remind me of Yahamas - budget range from one of their factories perhaps?

Mention is made of them being slack and that's the usual complaint until you discover how to adjust the tension - Yamaha used to supply a special tool for this.[/quote]
Good spot sir - the Yam ones are identical apart from having nice cast keys. I doubt they were made in-house, Gotoh supplied a lot of hardware to Jap factories, as did other light-engineering concerns like Chushin.

I've never had the adjusting tool for mine (I also have a Cimar P/J thing with the same ones) but finger-tight seems to hold 'em OK. I think it looks like it would be straightforward enough to improvise/bodge a tool though. Might have a go tomorrow.

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='785384' date='Mar 25 2010, 12:46 AM']Good spot sir - the Yam ones are identical apart from having nice cast keys. I doubt they were made in-house, Gotoh supplied a lot of hardware to Jap factories, as did other light-engineering concerns like Chushin.

I've never had the adjusting tool for mine (I also have a Cimar P/J thing with the same ones) but finger-tight seems to hold 'em OK. I think it looks like it would be straightforward enough to improvise/bodge a tool though. Might have a go tomorrow.

J.[/quote]

The SB-series Arias have a similar feature - I nicked this pic off Graeme Fyfe's site to give you something to aim at:

Thanks for the info fellas, I will check the body some time soon, All looks original finish though.

Yes i had it off the bay from a collectables store, I paid a few quid but thought it was worth a little more so snpiped it.. Lol

Cheers

J